5 reasons to still have hope

Greg Hibbard

Tiggs has a recent history of blowing division leads. Until they win a division, have to hold them to that standard. lol! Hopefully, the tiggs wilt and we have FLOWERS!

Maybe our previous 6 man rotation helps us down the stretch with less tired/more effective starters. Playing a lot of games in the division rest of the season, except for the end against the BJs

Just hope that White Sox ghosts don't haunt us like Frank Thomas did in 2006. Fear Thome in Cleveland and even Teahen in Toronto. I hated Teahen as a player (not as a person)...would hate if he got a game winning hit against us or make a great defensive play. lol! I was so happy that KW was able to trade him. So far Teahen only has collected one hit for the BJs and Rasmus is on the DL

Or yeah forgot..Wise is on the Bjs. now. Oh, no! lol!

Edited by sunofgold

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
Tiggs has a recent history of blowing division leads. Until they win a division, have to hold them to that standard. lol! Hopefully, the tiggs wilt

With the amount of one run squeeker wins DET keeps pulling out (like the 8 in a row between 7/31--8/13 + the last two days with pathetic KC unable to hold on for one freaking inning, errgghhh!) they'll win the division and summarily get pasted in the ALDS

hate to see a team get in so unconvincingly, but here it comes

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
hate to see a team get in so unconvincingly, but here it comes

They're going to have a starting pitcher end up with 22-23 wins likely and a perfect closer on the year (at this point). If this was the Twins a year ago, everyone would be saying they have a great shot to advance to the World Series.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
They're going to have a starting pitcher end up with 22-23 wins likely and a perfect closer on the year (at this point). If this was the Twins a year ago, everyone would be saying they have a great shot to advance to the World Series.

Not everyone, only the people who think/thought Minny was the greatest franchise of all time. I've never thought the Twins had a shot to do anything other than win the central and get destroyed by Bos/NYY/TB the last 6 years

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)

Tigers have a much better team than we do and it'll finally officially be over after that weekend series.

As far as Ozzie, he probably wants to go manage Florida. He'll be happy when he gets canned cause Dunn n Rios n Peavy are going nowhere and you can't win with those 3 contract albatrosses.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
Tigers have a much better team than we do and it'll finally officially be over after that weekend series.

As far as Ozzie, he probably wants to go manage Florida. He'll be happy when he gets canned cause Dunn n Rios n Peavy are going nowhere and you can't win with those 3 contract albatrosses.

Judging that we're still in the race despite being sub-.500 for almost the entire season...no, no they don't have a much better team.

I won't even touch the Ozzie part, no point.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)

Last years Twins team had the 5th best ERA in the AL and the 4th best bullpen ERA in the AL.

This year's Tigers team has the 10th best ERA in the AL and the 11th best bullpen ERA.

So yeah, if you added Verlander to last year's Twins team they'd have a great shot at the W.S., because that Twins team had a full pitching staff working their tails off around him. This year's Tigers team has Verlander and a bunch of weakness. Hell, that's the 11th bullpen ERA out of 14 and they're pitching in Comerica for crying out loud.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
Last years Twins team had the 5th best ERA in the AL and the 4th best bullpen ERA in the AL.

This year's Tigers team has the 10th best ERA in the AL and the 11th best bullpen ERA.

So yeah, if you added Verlander to last year's Twins team they'd have a great shot at the W.S., because that Twins team had a full pitching staff working their tails off around him. This year's Tigers team has Verlander and a bunch of weakness. Hell, that's the 11th bullpen ERA out of 14 and they're pitching in Comerica for crying out loud.

Having an ace can be a big difference. Sure the Sox have 3 good starters but no ace. The Twins were always lacking one component that was always revealed in the post season.

There offense numbers in 09/10 were nothing to laugh at either. I think in 09 they were the best in baseball hitting after 2 outs.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
Tiggs don't have much starting pitching beside Verlander & Fister (I won't beside I am a gentleman). Tiggs don't have much relief pitching beside Valverde & AlAl (think that he is on DL).

Don't give up on the Tiggs tanking it quite yet. lol! Still plenty of time.

Benoit's been superb since the ASB.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)
Having an ace can be a big difference. Sure the Sox have 3 good starters but no ace. The Twins were always lacking one component that was always revealed in the post season.

There offense numbers in 09/10 were nothing to laugh at either. I think in 09 they were the best in baseball hitting after 2 outs.

Johan Santana says "hello." Unfortunately, they also never saw Liriano's devastating slider in 2006 in the playoffs, or they would have had a great chance that season. Those two were like a buzzsaw through the entire league for half that year.

As far as the Tigers go, if you subtract Valverde (Papa Grande), Al Al and Benoit, there are some pretty horrific numbers. They did boost the pen with the addition of Coke as well, but they're going to struggle in the games Verlander doesn't get them to the very back end of the pen.

And everything's really up in the air with their #2/#3 starter. You'd have to think they would go with Fister and Scherzer, although Penny and Porcello have had their moments all season long. too. Scherzer got his brains beaten in his last time out.

Edited by caulfield12

And here I thought the Royals had a pretty damn good bullpen. They blew 2 saves/holds to Detroit. They had a chance to sweep and instead lost the series.

I haven't completely lost hope. I turned the game off today after Hughes' homer (what a terrible pitch by Peavy...easily the worst inning by a Sox pitcher this year) , and Pierre, with a good jump, catches Plouffe's "double." Either of those 2, assuking pre-deterkined destiny, end that inning with 4 runs scored.

I still followed on my phone. They got close to winning a game they had no business being in. Lillibridge is a ridiculously valuable player.

To say that, had changes been made earlier, the team would be in a better position is unfair. 97% of people (approximated figures) wanted Viciedo up, yet De Aza has been incredibly valuable, more so than most could have predicted. Flowers has been instrumental in some victories as well, and he would have never been. given the chance without AJ going down.

Viciedo has been everything advertised, BTW. I do wish he would have been called up sooner. I've said as much on here.

I can't rule them out. It will be a series-by-series thing from here on out, but a sweep this weekend makes them very relevant and 2 of 3 keeps them alive.

Finally, I will say that the last time I saw the Sox look this good over a 20 game stretch was last year before the ASB. They are playing with hunger right now, !nd bringing up a few players from the minors may do worlds of good. Hopefully, Reed is among them.

(PS - has anyone noticed how well the young players' (if you want to include De Aza as a young player) have approached the plate compared to the major leaguers? Walker.is.awful.)

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)

Oh they absolutely do. They have good hitting, a talented bullpen, and capable 2-4 starters. I don't care for the team long-term, and I think the Sox can win the division; regardless, this Tigers' team reminds me a lot of the 2003 Marlins. I still think either Boston or New York would tear through that pitching staff, sans Verlander, but he gives you 4-8 wins pretty much automatically (if they don't use him in relief on his throwing days). If Verlander is magnificent, finding 3 other wins should not be hard. If he struggles on short rest, so too will the Tigers. Fister, Penny, and especially Scherzer would need to step up. That will not be easy.

Verlander, more than anyone else, will define Detroit's future.

Well, maybe not more than Eminem.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
And everything's really up in the air with their #2/#3 starter. You'd have to think they would go with Fister and Scherzer, although Penny and Porcello have had their moments all season long. too. Scherzer got his brains beaten in his last time out.

But we don't have to pay attention to Scherzer getting destroyed by the Royals, we can just move on to someone else who's had a great 3 week stretch and use them as the reason why the Tigers are unbeatable.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 03:51 AM)
Oh they absolutely do. They have good hitting, a talented bullpen, and capable 2-4 starters. I don't care for the team long-term, and I think the Sox can win the division; regardless, this Tigers' team reminds me a lot of the 2003 Marlins. I still think either Boston or New York would tear through that pitching staff, sans Verlander, but he gives you 4-8 wins pretty much automatically (if they don't use him in relief on his throwing days). If Verlander is magnificent, finding 3 other wins should not be hard. If he struggles on short rest, so too will the Tigers. Fister, Penny, and especially Scherzer would need to step up. That will not be easy.

Verlander, more than anyone else, will define Detroit's future.

Well, maybe not more than Eminem.

Having a 5 game series to win instead of a 7 game series would help.

But let's not ignore the fact that Verlander won't be pitching against garbage when he goes out either. He'll be pitching against Captain Cheeseburger or against Beckett/Lester. And he'll be doing so on the road, probably both times. Against really good offenses.

I just don't think the Tigers will get past Bos/NY, other than Verlander, they don't have anyone who can stop those two offenses...as much as I dislike Detroit, I'll be rooting for the Tigers and the Rangers, enough of the Yankees and Red Sox already!

Back to the thread topic, I'll give you one big reason why we won't come back and win the division...

OZZIE!!!

/thread

This weekend in Detroit! Let us bow our heads in prayer and ask for divine guidance as we smite those Tigers. I know people will say God doesn't take sides in a sports event, but this is the SOX for crying our loud

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
This weekend in Detroit! Let us bow our heads in prayer and ask for divine guidance as we smite those Tigers. I know people will say God doesn't take sides in a sports event, but this is the SOX for crying our loud

I hope the results of the 1st 2 games hasn't destroyed your faith.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)

There is no God....

....or He was too busy guiding Notre Dame to victory....

:lolhitting