... it's about time

bozzie

In recent days, Guillen has been more vocally protective of his coaches and pointed out they still have some financial rewards at stake. The average full-share for each member of a second-place team is about $10,000 and the Sox are battling the Indians for that.

"You know what's funny?" Guillen said. "Some coaches might need the $5,000, $3,000 (extra) to be in second place. … They can buy Christmas gifts for their kids.

"Maybe the players don't need that, but some coaches do. Just think about them and make sure we win second place."

Very inspirational stuff for the fans!!!

Sometimes I think Ozzie is more out of touch with the everyday fan than ... well, that's for political discussion and another area of SoxTalk.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
the only answer to underachieving players is to cut them, even if its the first year of a huge contract. its impossible for a manager to simply bench them and try it again next year.

When there is a commissioner with a set of balls and owners with some common sense that tells the players union to f*** off, then under achieving players could be cut. It would probably reduce the under achieving and remove those who have no talent.

Until then...dream on.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
In recent days, Guillen has been more vocally protective of his coaches and pointed out they still have some financial rewards at stake. The average full-share for each member of a second-place team is about $10,000 and the Sox are battling the Indians for that.

"You know what's funny?" Guillen said. "Some coaches might need the $5,000, $3,000 (extra) to be in second place. … They can buy Christmas gifts for their kids.

"Maybe the players don't need that, but some coaches do. Just think about them and make sure we win second place."

Sometimes I think Ozzie is more out of touch with the everyday fan than ... well, that's for political discussion and another area of SoxTalk.

:blink:

f*** Ozzie:

"It's embarrassing because we should have won this. You're starting with a kid (Axelrod) who came from an independent league (in 2009) and he shut them down, and all the sudden these big league pitchers couldn't stop them.

"Look at yourself in the mirror and see how big league you are. If they're happy the season's over, good. But every time you lose a game like that and you have a little bit of pride, you should be ashamed of yourself. Those ones hurt."

Way to throw Sale & Santos under the bus, your two best young pitchers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)

Your top two bullpen options make the minimum salary, you think that money doesn't matter?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
It might be that they need thrown under the bus a little bit sometimes...Not sure this was the correct way to do it though, a little too public for my taste.

The kids here? The kids who have time after time saved this team from the Dunn's and Rios's of the team? Nah, f*** that. That is crap.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 08:55 AM)
The kids here? The kids who have time after time saved this team from the Dunn's and Rios's of the team? Nah, f*** that. That is crap.

Sometimes kids can get a little too comfortable, that I do buy.

I just don't like this being done in the press.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 08:00 AM)
Sometimes kids can get a little too comfortable, that I do buy.

I just don't like this being done in the press.

I don't believe for a second that Chris Sale and Sergio Santos have gotten comfortable. There is nothing that shows anything like that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 11:49 PM)
Your top two bullpen options make the minimum salary, you think that money doesn't matter?

I've never seen a story in my lifetime of following baseball where the highlight of an article was the coaches wanting the team to finish 2nd instead of 3rd. Seems kind of ridiculous after hearing the "All In" mantra constantly throughout the season.

That's the problem with the White Sox for most of the last decade. Satisfaction with finishing 2nd and/or .500 or slightly above.

Poor Ozzie . . . in the wake of yet another sweep at the hands of the Detroit Tigers, Ozzie took to - where else? - the media and questioned the heart of a team of which he himself carved out said heart several weeks ago.

Back then, the Sox were hanging around the division lead, at one point only 3-1/2 games out, and rather than concentrate on the business at hand, Ozzie took to - where else? - the media to begin contract negotiations on an undeserved extension past the 2012 season.

Of course, we're always told Ozzie's shenanigans never bother the team, and those of us who have worked in dysfunctional environments know that it's never easy to just put your head down and do your job when the bosses are fighting above you. Ozzie's grandstanding quickly manifested itself in a total collapse as the White Sox fell out of contention; perhaps fortunately so, as it appears to have sealed the venal Venezuelan's fate with Kenny Williams.

Now, with the Sox 13-1/2 games out of first place, Ozzie wonders what happened to his team's heart. Boo hoo.

Clearly, Sox players are tired of Ozzie's games, as they sure aren't playing to save his job. When asked about the lack of intensity, Paul Konerko, instead of apologizing, blew off Ozzie's whining, saying the Sox's freefall "goes with the territory this time of year."

Nobody cares anymore, Ozzie.

Good riddance.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 08:43 AM)
I've never seen a story in my lifetime of following baseball where the highlight of an article was the coaches wanting the team to finish 2nd instead of 3rd. Seems kind of ridiculous after hearing the "All In" mantra constantly throughout the season.

That's the problem with the White Sox for most of the last decade. Satisfaction with finishing 2nd and/or .500 or slightly above.

Seriously, I've never heard anything like this. It's sort of a disgrace that he would come out and say that. Too bad about not winning the division, f*** you fans. But let's make ourselves a little bit more money.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
Seriously, I've never heard anything like this. It's sort of a disgrace that he would come out and say that. Too bad about not winning the division, f*** you fans. But let's make ourselves a little bit more money.

It has been said in 2nd place finishes past. I just think no one really was as upset at Ozzie, so it wasn't a big deal.

from Rotoworld:

"Amy K. Nelson of ESPN.com reports that Logan Morrison has filed a grievance against the Marlins in regards to his August demotion.

According to Nelson, Morrison argues that he was disciplined without "just cause." The Marlins surprised many around baseball with their decision and while they argued that his demotion was performance-related, he returned to the majors as soon as he was eligible after batting just .167 (4-for-24) with one home run and five RBI at Triple-A New Orleans. It remains to be seen whether he will be vindicated, but this certainly won't help his apparent crumbling relationship with the organization. "

Marlins have organizational problems with Morrison; Sox have organizational problems with Ozzie.... can the dream trade become a reality? :unsure:

Edited by smalls2598

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
I remember it being said before. I'm not positive if it was Guillen or a player, but I know that little second place kicker has been mentioned before as a late motivation.

The hot streaks at the end of each season after already being eliminated, in retrospect, make me even angrier.

How plausible is this hypothetical, Oz wanted out of his contract this year and the club said no. Or some team wanted to talk to him and the club said no? The more I think about it, the more I think Ozzie is managing like someone who wants to be fired.