Sox AFL team announced

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

C Josh Phegley, inf. Tyler Saladino, OF brandon Short and P terry doyle will rep White Sox in AFL.

Probably will be more names later.

I thought for sure we'd see Escobar, Kuhn and Axelrod, though Axel may hit an inning limit. Remenowsky and Santiago also seemed like possibilities.

With Flowers' resurgence, it makes no sense to ease off on Mitchell (because we still don't have anyone resembling a prototypical leadoff hitter, not to mention Walker has struggled mightly as well in A ball)....don't understand the Phegley inclusion.

Hopefully he'll (Mitchell) at least play Winter Ball somewhere. He needs all the playing time and experience he can get, no matter where it is.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)
Hopefully he'll (Mitchell) at least play Winter Ball somewhere. He needs all the playing time and experience he can get, no matter where it is.

Honestly, at this point I think it's good he gets some time off. The dude worked his ass off to get back ahead of schedule last year (when he took part in the AFL) and is entering a late season slump this year, which makes me think he is burnt out. I think the best thing for him would be to spend a couple months away from baseball.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
Not exactly an A List of prospects

You have to understand, the AFL is used (at least by the Sox) for multiple purposes, such as:

--Getting more work in for a prospect that may have missed time during the season

--Showing off a prospect to scouts for future trade value

--Pushing a prospect off the fence - guys who are borderline, want to know how they do against tougher competition, see if they are for real

So you often do not get an A-list of prospects, from any team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 06:47 AM)
You have to understand, the AFL is used (at least by the Sox) for multiple purposes, such as:

--Getting more work in for a prospect that may have missed time during the season

--Showing off a prospect to scouts for future trade value

--Pushing a prospect off the fence - guys who are borderline, want to know how they do against tougher competition, see if they are for real

So you often do not get an A-list of prospects, from any team.

....or maybe it's just a lack of prospects.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
....or maybe it's just a lack of prospects.

Sort of missed the point. The AFL isn't a best-prospects list, for any organization, Sox or otherwise. So a "lack of prospects" has nothing to do with it. The Sox system is piss-poor right now, but no one thinks that Terry Doyle, Tyler Saladino, Brandon Short and Josh Phegley are the best prospects in the system. Hell only one of those might be in the Top 10 for the Sox.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
The Sox system is piss-poor right now, but no one thinks that Terry Doyle, Tyler Saladino, Brandon Short and Josh Phegley are the best prospects in the system. Hell only one of those might be in the Top 10 for the Sox.

I beg to differ.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
Sort of missed the point. The AFL isn't a best-prospects list, for any organization, Sox or otherwise. So a "lack of prospects" has nothing to do with it. The Sox system is piss-poor right now, but no one thinks that Terry Doyle, Tyler Saladino, Brandon Short and Josh Phegley are the best prospects in the system. Hell only one of those might be in the Top 10 for the Sox.

I think it is or should be a group of your best prospects who have at least one full year and preferably two years of pro ball up to AA. Obvious exceptions are guys with injuries and pitchers who have exceeded some mythical pitch count plateau. The Rockies just announced their AFL players, and they have several with really nintriguing offensive numbers in High A and AA. I just wish we had a few of those.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
I beg to differ.

Did you miss the part where I said ONE MIGHT BE?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
I think it is or should be a group of your best prospects who have at least one full year and preferably two years of pro ball up to AA. Obvious exceptions are guys with injuries and pitchers who have exceeded some mythical pitch count plateau. The Rockies just announced their AFL players, and they have several with really nintriguing offensive numbers in High A and AA. I just wish we had a few of those.

I wish we had a better farm system too. But the AFL isn't a reward, it is a tool, and should be used as such. Doyle is a fringe guy, they want to see if he is for real... Phegley has missed a lot of time in his development so far and moved up fast, so they want him to see more action... Short is another fringe guy, same thing, they want to see how "real" he is, and possibly show him off to other clubs... Saladino is a legit good prospect, and they may want to get a closer look at him.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
I wish we had included Thompson from Kanny.

Maybe next year.

AFL is for borderline guys that you're deciding whether to expose to the Rule 5, or add to the 40-man.

Or guys that may be playing in AA or AAA the following year.

Thompson could be in that category next year, and then play at Birmingham in 2013.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
Did you miss the part where I said ONE MIGHT BE?

I didn't. In fact.. I marked/Italic where you said it. And yes, many here would consider him (Saladino) one of the best prospects in our system. The other guys I agree with you, more filler types.

Edited by SoxAce