8/31 GT - SOX vs. Twins - 1:10pm CDT - WGN

knightni

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
Balta, the whole point about Morel is that if you go into next year with 4 guys you have to hope have a huge turnaround season from 2011 in Dunn/Rios/Beckham/Morel, then you're setting yourself up for a potentially really bad year. As I mentioned earlier, 3b seems the most obvious position where you can try to upgrade if you don't want to trade Beckham.

Morel has been an awful hitter all year. An absolute sally who has had the approach of being down 0-2 to Johan Santana in his prime before he got into the batter's box just about every time he's gone to bat. If next year is a rebuilding year, fine, give him the job and a new hitting coach and I am fine with it. If we're trying to win, sigh

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 04:30 PM)
Balta, the whole point about Morel is that if you go into next year with 4 guys you have to hope have a huge turnaround season from 2011 in Dunn/Rios/Beckham/Morel, then you're setting yourself up for a potentially really bad year. As I mentioned earlier, 3b seems the most obvious position where you can try to upgrade if you don't want to trade Beckham.

Here's the thing fathom...if you trade Danks, like you advocated earlier in this thread, then you're not only requiring 4 guys to have a turnaround, but you're also needing to replace a starter, making things even harder. And then there's your friend Peavy.

The sad thing is...you're right about Danks. This team is going to be cutting salary this offseason, we'll be lucky to retain Buehrle. Quentin is going to go. Danks is going to go. And that barely gets us down to $110 million.

If this team is going to compete, and we don't get lucky enough to have Tony Reagans bail us out on a contract, then there is not going to be any upgrade other than whatever comes back in trades from the team on the field right now. Which means, competition is going to require having turnaround seasons. It really is the only way we're going to compete. And whatever comes back in those trades...it's likely to be a couple years down the road from being solid production.

Edit: oh, and since whatever comes back in trades is likely to struggle for a year or two once it gets to the bigs, you'll be unhappy with that result also and calling for those guys to be replaced too. Because how can you compete with whatever guy that is in the lineup?

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 08:33 PM)
Morel has been an awful hitter all year. An absolute sally who has had the approach of being down 0-2 to Johan Santana in his prime before he got into the batter's box just about every time he's gone to bat. If next year is a rebuilding year, fine, give him the job and a new hitting coach and I am fine with it. If we're trying to win, sigh

I swear I don't have two accounts on here

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)

With the assinine all in moves that Kenny has made, including the ludicrous sqaundering of talent, we have no choice but to hope guys like Morel and Beckham develop and that dunn and rios at the very least have replacement level years. There is no money to spend to improve the club significantly.