Rios for Rowand?

rowand's rowdies

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to have to be a LOT of cash, as Rios is owed somewhere around $40 million (including the buyout).

All things considered, as much as I detest Rios, I would rather gamble on him coming around than hoping for a "Crede" miracle in terms of Rowand resuscitating his career at this late stage.

From a physical standpoint, I can't see how his body would even stand up for very long with everyday play in CF. The problem is that he doesn't have the offensive game to man a corner outfield spot, and he's definitely not a speedy/slappy leadoff hitter either.

Ok so if Rios is 40 mil rowand is 12 thats 28 extra million for 3 years of rios for the giants. is he a 9 mil a year player absolutely not but if the sox can get that down to a 7 mil a year player would the giants be interested? i can see rios getting 3 years/21 from a dumb team on the market. ok i cant but the giants did sign tejada for almost 7 mil this offseason.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
I don't care how bad Aaron is now... in a heartbeat.

Whatever it takes. If nothing else AR is a better fielder, better hitter, fan favorite, and the clubhouse leader (along with Crede) who had a helluva lot more to do with our 2005 season than Ozzie Fu€kin Guillen. Not to mention that lazy, stupid, POS Alex Rios, who flat out sucks. Do it KW - zero downside

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
Whatever it takes. If nothing else AR is a better fielder, better hitter, fan favorite, and the clubhouse leader (along with Crede) who had a helluva lot more to do with our 2005 season than Ozzie Fu€kin Guillen. Not to mention that lazy, stupid, POS Alex Rios, who flat out sucks. Do it KW - zero downside

1. You realize they both are AR, right?

2. Better Fielder? I don't know about that. I remember some bad reads late in 2005 that hurt the Sox late vs Cleveland.

3. Better Hitter? Yeah, Rios has been that bad this year, but overall I'd rather take my chances on the more talented one

4. Fan Favorite? Yes, 2005, that's why Ozzie should never be fired, blah blah blah

5. Clubhouse Leader? Do you really think the guys in the clubhouse will give a f*** about Aaron Rowand? A player who got cut with a large salary by a team in contention? Just because 3 guys on the roster played with him 6 years ago? His clubhouse leadership is doing great in SF.

Alex Rios sucks and his contract is awful, but let's not act like the same isn't true about Rowand. The Giants are eating over $12 mil of his contract just to keep him off their roster.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)

2. Better Fielder? I don't know about that. I remember some bad reads late in 2005 that hurt the Sox late vs Cleveland.

3. Better Hitter? Yeah, Rios has been that bad this year, but overall I'd rather take my chances on the more talented one

4. Fan Favorite? Yes, 2005, that's why Ozzie should never be fired, blah blah blah

5. Clubhouse Leader? Do you really think the guys in the clubhouse will give a f*** about Aaron Rowand? A player who got cut with a large salary by a team in contention? Just because 3 guys on the roster played with him 6 years ago? His clubhouse leadership is doing great in SF.

Alex Rios sucks and his contract is awful, but let's not act like the same isn't true about Rowand. The Giants are eating over $12 mil of his contract just to keep him off their roster.

All good points, but the Steve Perry connection??? - can i play the 'cmon' argument?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
It's not even feasible. The Giants have decided to eat the $12 mil left on Rowand's contract just to get him off the roster. Rios is still owed nearly $40 milion for the next 3 years.

Either way, I don't know if Rowand would be an improvement.

Unless Sabean thinks Rios can turn it around...hmmm

Edited by chw42

Bottom line is Sox are gonna have to eat a very large chunk of either Rios or Dunn...or Peavy for that matter, to move any of them. Personally I applaud these organizations the do what's best for the team and cut their losses as best as possible. Does it suck...sure. I imagine Peavy will just have to do...Dunn....it's really hard to fathom another year like this unless he's so far gone now he's not even salvageable (which may be the case...and at that point he'd say Eff it IMO). That leaves Rios...he's really the only semi-movable piece I think moving him for another bad contract and pray it's a decent arm.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 11:24 PM)
My guess is the Sox would have to eat $20M.

There's no reason to do this unless the total savings would be >$15 million. There's at least a nonzero chance Rios could pull together a good year next year if he works over the offseason and there's a new coaching staff.

How about Peavy for Rowand?

Peavy $17M next year

Rowand $12M next year

Probably won't get much out of either player in 2012. However, I rather throw money at Rowand than at Peavy. Getting rid of Peavy opens another spot for young pitcher. Could have a rotation of Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Sale and groom Stewart to be insurance/future starter.

$5 million difference though. Maybe Giants want to get rid of another player. We could throw in $2.5M (split the difference)..and thus we would save $2.5M (cost cutting)...lol!

This wouldn't work..I don't think. Maybe have to be more creative. Too bad they don't still have Uribe on their team.

Funny that Rowand and AJ both had bad experiences in SF, except Rowand got another ring and more money. lol! Good for Rowand...I guess.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)

I was reading the thread backwards and got to this and thinking wtf is AR? Average Righty? :lolhitting

I really hate trash for trash trades. It's like having a garage sale to buy the crap at your neighbor's garage sale. I'd prefer the return of Rowand just because he's easier to cheer for than Rios. But as far as baseball production, it just won't make a difference.

Some moves must be made. Possibly SF taking Rios and us taking Rowand is one of those deals. Aaron may only be a 4th OF'er at this point though. Texas may also be in the market for another OF'er though. Could Aaron be headed there? I would like to think KW might get to Texas and offer them Rios, but their need is short term with Nelson Cruz hurt.