Rios for Rowand?

rowand's rowdies

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
Ok so if Rios is 40 mil rowand is 12 thats 28 extra million for 3 years of rios for the giants. is he a 9 mil a year player absolutely not but if the sox can get that down to a 7 mil a year player would the giants be interested? i can see rios getting 3 years/21 from a dumb team on the market. ok i cant but the giants did sign tejada for almost 7 mil this offseason.

I think the "dumb team" is already used up on him. There are no more and the Sox were the last.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
Rios is everything people hate about this team-Rowand was everything people loved about our team, enuf said.

I dunno about that. There's been a lot of Rowand hate on here in past seasons.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
Peavy for Zambrano + some cash makes sense.

Maybe we can send Peavy to Wrigleyville with a bottle of jack and he can sing the go cubs go song again and convince Ricketts to push the trade through

I may be in the minority, but I would rather have the insane Zambrano over the underperforming Peavy

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Maybe we can send Peavy to Wrigleyville with a bottle of jack and he can sing the go cubs go song again and convince Ricketts to push the trade through

I may be in the minority, but I would rather have the insane Zambrano over the underperforming Peavy

Could you imagine Zambrano and Ozzie in the same dugout? Maybe they'd actually conteract each other, and they'd both calm down and start doing their jobs well.

More likely, Zambrano would throw a fit and destroy a Gatorade cooler with a bat, and Ozzie would PH him for Konerko because he "liked what I saw with him swinging the bat".

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
Could you imagine Zambrano and Ozzie in the same dugout? Maybe they'd actually conteract each other, and they'd both calm down and start doing their jobs well.

More likely, Zambrano would throw a fit and destroy a Gatorade cooler with a bat, and Ozzie would PH him for Konerko because he "liked what I saw with him swinging the bat".

Ozzie and Zambrano are very close friends, I dont think Zambrano would have those issues. I could be wrong.

But then again, seems like the chances Ozzie would be his manager are growing slimmer every minute

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
Not that the Giants would ever consider this deal, but you not wanting to unload Rios is hilarious.

If it was a straight up trade, sure count me in. But if we still have to eat most of the remaining dollars I'd rather just keep him and hope he has another 2010 left in him.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
Dear sox fans,

Aaron Rowand sucks. Please stop thinking he was good or still is.

Thanks,

PiB.

Dear PiB,

I don't think anyone cares if Aaron Rowand can even walk anymore. Alex Rios sucks way harder.

Thanks,

Steve9347.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)

Zambrano can probably hit better than some of the guys in the line up. He's been criticized for working on his hitting.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
Dear PiB,

I don't think anyone cares if Aaron Rowand can even walk anymore. Alex Rios sucks way harder.

Thanks,

Steve9347.

I don't think your opinion holds any water. Rios > Rowand at this point in their careers. The problem with Rios

is his desire to play hard, also known as laziness. If someone could get him motivated beyond making 12.5m/year

I think he'd be a better ballplayer. We know booing doesn't help

Rowand probably couldn't leg out a double right now

As far as your snide remark about it being "hilarious" that I wouldn't unload Rios' contract, that's not even factual. If we didn't have to eat any of his salary, OFC I'd unload his contract

Get out of here with that s***

Nobody wants Rowand. I am thinking. hmmmm.

If nobody wants Rowand can we sign him to a minor league contract for the rest of year. Don't put him on the 40 man roster but call him up for the rest of the year? He might suck now but a lot of fan might like to see him play a little bit. Is something like this possible?

Give him a chance to audition for a backup outfield position next year which might be open. Considering we might trade Quentin and probably won't resign Pierre.

Or would it be better for Rowand to just take the rest of the season off (still being paid nicely by the G's.lol) and get ready for next year and try to find a new team.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Nobody wants Rowand. I am thinking. hmmmm.

If nobody wants Rowand can we sign him to a minor league contract for the rest of year. Don't put him on the 40 man roster but call him up for the rest of the year? He might suck now but a lot of fan might like to see him play a little bit. Is something like this possible?

Give him a chance to audition for a backup outfield position next year which might be open. Considering we might trade Quentin and probably won't resign Pierre.

Or would it be better for Rowand to just take the rest of the season off (still being paid nicely by the G's.lol) and get ready for next year and try to find a new team.

A player must be on the 40 man to appear on the major league roster.

To combine a couple different ideas from this thread, how about Rios for Zambrano? How much of Rios' contract would the Sox have to eat to get the Cubs to do that?

Not that I like Zambrano, but you're stuck with him for one year instead of three, and a worthless pitcher is easier to hide on your roster than a worthless position player.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 07:16 AM)
To combine a couple different ideas from this thread, how about Rios for Zambrano? How much of Rios' contract would the Sox have to eat to get the Cubs to do that?

Not that I like Zambrano, but you're stuck with him for one year instead of three, and a worthless pitcher is easier to hide on your roster than a worthless position player.

He's arguably the biggest clubhouse cancer in baseball. I say no.

I disagree. You can still use Rios as a 4th OF, let him start once/twice a week, and it wouldn't kill your team. He still has value as a pinch runner too.

Zambrano would just be wasting a spot in your bullpen. What if you need a long reliever or a game goes to extra innings? Then you will have to pitch him. Do you think he's gonna be happy on the bench? He already has blown up on his team as the ace, hiding him in the bullpen will probably piss him off even more.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)

I wouldn't move Rios in any deal that didn't save the Sox >$15 million total. We're stuck with him already, may as well see if we can get him back to producing. There's always a shot.

That would mean that the Sox could only throw in a little bit of money for Zambrano. Rios has $38 million remaining on his deal after this year, Zambrano $17.5.

I also would only be open to this if Ozzie Guillen continued to be the manager.

To get rid of Rios contract it makes sense, but where would Zambrano play? You'd essentially be kissing Buehrle good bye, and then probably Danks or Floyd too to make this work.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
To get rid of Rios contract it makes sense, but where would Zambrano play? You'd essentially be kissing Buehrle good bye, and then probably Danks or Floyd too to make this work.

It's a $5 million/1 year boost in salary with a 3 year, $20 million salary decrease to do that deal. The salary part doesn't give you a reason to kiss Buehrle good bye...and Zambrano has been at best an inconsistent back of the rotation starter the last couple years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 08:14 AM)
It's a $5 million/1 year boost in salary with a 3 year, $20 million salary decrease to do that deal. The salary part doesn't give you a reason to kiss Buehrle good bye...and Zambrano has been at best an inconsistent back of the rotation starter the last couple years.

If you bring in another starting pitcher that means you have Stewart, Humber, Peavy, Danks, Floyd in addition to Zambrano, and that is without converting Chris Sale to a starter.

Planning on going with a seven man rotation?