Walker and Williams Argue

elrockinMT

White Sox’ Ken Williams, Greg Walker have heated confrontation

BY DARYL VAN SCHOUWEN [email protected] September 2, 2011 10:40PM

Reprints11Share

White Sox GM Ken Williams (left) and hitting coach Greg Walker got into a heated confrontation on Friday.

Related Stories

White Sox short on time after fizzling against Tigers After Ozzie asks for extension, boss questions him about it Updated: September 3, 2011 2:06AM

DETROIT — The frustration stemming from the shortage of production from Adam Dunn, Alex Rios and Gordon Beckham recently reached a boiling point between ­general manager Ken Williams and hitting coach Greg Walker.

Walker took issue with Williams’ comments about Beckham’s swing, and after he and Williams exchanged heated words in the tunnel leading to the Sox clubhouse at U.S. Cellular Field, Williams told Walker to clean out his locker, a source said.

When chairman Jerry Reinsdorf was made aware of what happened, things were smoothed over.

“I’d rather not comment on it,’’ Walker told the Sun-Times on ­Friday. “What goes on in our clubhouse stays in our clubhouse. It’s been a very frustrating year for a lot of people.’’

Williams told reporters on Aug. 19 he preferred the swing Beckham brought with him from the University of Georgia after he was picked in the first round of the draft to the swing he has now.

“As long as Gordon continues to work, I have no problem with it,’’ Walker said Friday. “We’re not satisfied with the results. We’ve looked at it every way we can look at it.’’

None of the Sox coaches are signed beyond this season, and most of them are not confident that they will return despite the backing of manager Ozzie Guillen — who is signed through next season.

“There’s an expiration date on all coaches and managers — and players,’’ Walker said. “I had a career as a player and that was over. I’ll wait till the end of the year and I’ll make a decision — or they will make a decision. But in a pennant race with guys fighting as hard as they are, the last thing I want is to be is a distraction or become a story.

“My goal to come here was not to be a personality. I came here to help players. I am still doing that every day. Sometimes we’re not getting the results we desire and that’ s part of the business. It’s been very frustrating for everybody involved and that’s all I can say about it.’’

Williams’ comment last month about Beckham’s swing appeared to be a direct hit aimed toward Walker.

“Any high fastball, he could get on top if it with his top hand,’’ Williams said then. “But again, as the general manager you sit back and you have to respect the work that your coaches do and you have to respect the desire from the player as to what he thinks will work.

“I personally liked the swagger and the cock that he had of his wrists and the loading of his hands when he had the previous swing I spoke of.’’

Walker is as disappointed as the results as anybody. He knew expectations were high after Williams signed Dunn to a $56 million free-agent deal last off-season.

“So far we haven’t played well and our department is a big part of it,’’ Walker said. “So yeah, I’ve been frustrated about it just like everybody else. But I’m not the story. I’m just a hitting coach. It’s an important role but in the big picture it’s way down the food chain.’’

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this finally makes it clear to everyone that JR is the root of the problem. If a GM can't even fire a hitting coach without the owner intervening and immediately re-hiring the coach, how can the GM be held responsible for any major decisions?

Does anyone still believe that KW had the power to hire or fire Ozzie? Can anyone hold KW responsible for the performance of players like Beckham and Dunn when he thinks they would benefit from a different approach from a hitting instructor but the owner says, "No"?

What competent experienced respected baseball man from outside of the organization would want to work for Reinsdorf?

JR is the one who needs to go. Unfortunately, it's his team so Sox fans are going to be stuck with this rotten organization for many years to come. Just like the Bears.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Clearly any of them. Lifetime guarantees are nice.

You only get the lifetime guarantee if you are one of Jerry's yes men. Do you think Jerry would allow an outside guy who has never been one of Jerry's cronies from the past come in and start making decisions and over-ruling or even firing some of Jerry's pets?

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
I hope this finally makes it clear to everyone that JR is the root of the problem. If a GM can't even fire a hitting coach without the owner intervening and immediately re-hiring the coach, how can the GM be held responsible for any major decisions?

If Williams went to chairman Reinsdorf and told him he wanted to make a change, a change would be made. This seems more like a spur of the moment dust up. It also might mean there will be a new GM.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
All I've gotten out of the past few days is that Kenny wanted Viciedo up, at the expense of Pierre early on and wanted the hitting coach to have Gordon go back to his old swing.

I have trouble figuring out who thought those would be bad ideas.

Some things crossed my mind when reading the story: (1) I saw Kenny Williams play in his only good hitting year (1987) and I don't think he has anything to tell the hitting coach on how to do his job better. But, he is the GM (2) Walker says to keep what happened in the locker room and that is a good way to make sure the fans might never really know what took place here and I for one would like to know what really ignited this issue (3) Going back to KW being the GM and supposedly having authority over the manager and coaches and seeing Jerry intervene makes you wonder about the status of everyone next year (4) Jerry is the owner and the boss and aybe is the cooler head in the case. If changes will be made they wilol be made after the season is over and my guess he will be making them for sure.

As Walker said though this has been a very frustrating year

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
Pierre has not been their problem since Williams wanted to get rid of him. Kenny needed to replace Dunn, Teahen, or Rios with Viciedo.

Was it Williams that wanted Pierre gone and Ozzie saying no? Or was it just incensed fans coming down on Juan?

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
It was almost a month later that Pierre started hitting. a months worth of suck that possibly could have been replaced by Dayan. He could have sucked too, but we'll never know.

And we'd be pretty much in first place if it weren't for that 11-22 start, right?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
Some things crossed my mind when reading the story: (1) I saw Kenny Williams play in his only good hitting year (1987) and I don't think he has anything to tell the hitting coach on how to do his job better. But, he is the GM (2) Walker says to keep what happened in the locker room and that is a good way to make sure the fans might never really know what took place here and I for one would like to know what really ignited this issue (3) Going back to KW being the GM and supposedly having authority over the manager and coaches and seeing Jerry intervene makes you wonder about the status of everyone next year (4) Jerry is the owner and the boss and aybe is the cooler head in the case. If changes will be made they wilol be made after the season is over and my guess he will be making them for sure.

As Walker said though this has been a very frustrating year

Walker is also looking out for his future. He can't be spilling secrets and then expect another team to bring him on board. Even though the extent of his future in professional baseball should be nothing more than a base-coach, who knows what JR has lined up for him.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
I'm actually enjoying all this bickering between everyone in the organization. If I could, I would instigate it further. If it wasn't for any of this I wouldn't be paying attention to this heaping pile of filth on the field.

I'm just happy as can be that I'm a baseball fan first, White Sox fan second. Otherwise my misery would know no bounds. I'm really looking forward to the playoffs. In particular the NL playoffs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
And we'd be pretty much in first place if it weren't for that 11-22 start, right?

I don't believe players think about themselves any differently than us. When I read posts that basically amount to shoulder shrugging and pointing out the calendar date to avoid feeling urgency, I honestly feel the same is felt in the clubhouse.

Next season begins in early March, not April. That doesn't mean manage to win meaningless spring training games, but everyone should be putting forth the full effort. Not just using it as an extended vacation, and then thinking to themselves "I'll wait until the season to begin giving a s*** and working on my swing."

Where is Dick Allen in all of this?

It took this long for KW to figure out the swing that Gordon took with him from Georgia was better? LOL, I thought most of us with the exception of the Walker apologists believed that. The guy was a stud. Now he's a headcase. And good luck getting him back to where he was, I don't see it happening, even after Walker is fired. I think the damage is done, but I hope I'm wrong.