ESPN Sunday Night Game

elrockinMT

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 10:51 PM)
I'd trade Danks, Floyd, and Quentin this offseason...as a starting point.

Exactly. Have to throw Ramirez, Thornton, and Santos out there too. This rebuild can be relatively painless given the division. The goal should be to have a solid core in place by the time Peavy, Rios, Dunn, Konerko, Buehrle (re-sign) contracts are off the books.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 11:16 PM)
Exactly. Have to throw Ramirez, Thornton, and Santos out there too. This rebuild can be relatively painless given the division. The goal should be to have a solid core in place by the time Peavy, Rios, Dunn, Konerko, Buehrle (re-sign) contracts are off the books.

Why would we want to keep Buehrle if you're trading away 1/3rd of the team?

Doesn't make much sense.

And why would we trade Santos? Because of yesterday?

Why would you trade away a cheap closer who's still currently at an 85% save conversion rate when at the very beginning of the year our veteran closer disaster (with Thornton) was one of the key factors for our 4-18 stretch?

Who would you replace Santos with?

Chris Sale? Crain? Frasor? (I'm assuming you're ditching him too, yes?) A. Reed? Infante?

I don't get why it's so important to keep Konerko and Buehrle around when they won't be (arguably) contributing enough to be a good match for the "new core" that should be fully maturing around 2013-2014. Sentimentality? Because of JR? Attendance? Well, that will be brutal even if you keep both of them if we're projecting 72-78 win teams.

I get the arguments for trading Alexei Ramirez, although you can forget fielding a competitive team when the rest of our division has Peralta and Cabrera putting up 18-24 homers per year and Escobar struggling to put up a 575-600 OPS.

Edited by caulfield12