And that, my friends, is a White Sox season

Jordan4life_2007

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The sox will likely have 4 less season tickets to count on next year unless some serious changes are made before payments are due for 2012. I would like to see ozzie traded to the marlins maybe package with quentin for LoMo and some SP prospects. Too bad we will need to trade the players I actually enjoy watching to subsidize the Dung Trifects (Dunn/Rios/Peavy).

Reinsdorf needs to realize KW/Ozzie will not be good for the rebuilding that needs to go on. I don't think the sox will ever be in "Full" rebuilding mode as they will lose too much money with 10,000 fans a night. This division is still easily winnable and they have juiced ticket prices so much since 2005 that no one is going to pay for crappy product. The Friday fireworks night game vs. the red sox when they drew 24,000 was a very bad sign for future events. Bring back $5 upper deck (ok make them $8 for inflation) tickets M-Th to fill up the upper deck.

Edited by chiguy79

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
Considering a lot of people around here want to give up on guys after a bad month, I really don't think most who want a total re-build have any idea what they are actually wishing for.

I do. A well done rebuild that is. A least the kids will try and play hard

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)
I hink anything that could go wrong, backfire or explode on this team has happened this year. So very frustrating. But, I don't see a ned to "rebuild". Some tweaking here and there and 2012 could be a lot better

I'm not sure you can tweak folding under pressure which is a pattern for the century. It was the same thing under Manuel. When it came to a showdown, the Sox wet the bed. I guess there is no measurement for how well players do in clutch situations.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 07:00 PM)
That was the proverbial cherry on the sundae. A failure of epic proportions that rivals or exceeds any single-season failure in White Sox history. To the greg hibbards, heads, the greg/elrockin hybrid, etc, please stop. It's done now. I'm all for a 20+ game losing streak to at least salvage a decent draft pick.

As usual you are the king of hyperbole.

I thought you were leaving. Wait, weren't you leaving? I thought you were leaving.

At this point in time, the Sox may as well play Dunn every day. You need to get all your guys PT, but there's nothing to lose by trying to get Dunn some confidence going into next season.

That was really too bad, I thought this team was playing well enough that they might steal this series. Oh well, life goes on, and I'll be feeling better about this team with a new manager in charge. Hopefully they make a good hire.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)
I hink anything that could go wrong, backfire or explode on this team has happened this year. So very frustrating. But, I don't see a ned to "rebuild". Some tweaking here and there and 2012 could be a lot better

No, just no. There needs to be a serious restructuring that goes on. I like KW, but everyone needs to go. It's an organization/managing thing with this team. They need more leaders like AJ, and those leaders need to be primetime good players for them as well. I feel like the leadership has to change. PK is just too much of a lead by example type of guy who has tuned out the management as well. With the players, he really doesn't think there's too much wrong. There's no balance. They need guys who know how to win, who won't take s***, who won't wet the bed and who won't slurp their opposition like Ozzie and PK do with the Twins. In the beginning of the year, when the Twins were really sucking, all they said was how they know the Twins will be there.

You're right, Dunn should get some PT. And for what it's worth, this optimist is officially out. We needed to win this game and tomorrow and put some pressure on Detroit and hopefully catch fire. Hey, anything can happen, so f*** off. But it didn't happen and now we're farther back than we've been since June. Thanks bullpen. And f*** you baseball gods. In the ass.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
You're right, Dunn should get some PT. And for what it's worth, this optimist is officially out. We needed to win this game and tomorrow and put some pressure on Detroit and hopefully catch fire. Hey, anything can happen, so f*** off. But it didn't happen and now we're farther back than we've been since June. Thanks bullpen. And f*** you baseball gods. In the ass.

Yep, this was extremely important. I'm not even going to think of ways they can get back in it because at this point in time, I really don't want them to.

I'd mix the lineup around on pretty much a daily basis, but here's my general thought right now

De Aza - CF

Ramirez - SS

Konerko - 1B

Dunn - LF

Quentin - DH

Viciedo - RF

Flowers - C

Morel - 3B

Beckham - 2B

I would get Lillibridge 5 games a week switching between LF, CF, RF, 3B, 2B, 1B, and DH. I would actually give Flowers and Pierzynski a 50/50 split. I'd get Escobar 2-3 games a week on the infield between SS, 2B, and 3B. Rios might play twice a week. Pierre will play a few more games too but at this point, I'd try and get him onto a different team that will be able to use him in the regular season. I don't think anyone would want or need him though simply because pretty much every single playoff race is, for the most part, settled with the possible exception of the AL West (and that one is even a long-shot at this point). I'd call up Axelrod and give him a start and I would let a few of the young guys get some experience working late in games.

Then I'd help Ozzie clean out his office.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 02:21 AM)

Wait until Tigers go out and spend money on some offensive upgrades at 3b next year and maybe another starter. They'll have available payroll and already have a lot of their core players locked up.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 11:53 PM)
Why is that hyperbole? It's the truth

No it isn't.

There are plenty of Sox teams that finished with much worse winning percentages in the .300s and low .400s in their history.

1988 & 1989 most recently.

Well, the main difference is nobody expected anything of those late 80's teams.

Before Ventura and Thomas arrived, nobody cared to watch them, either.

Then finally the 1990 season came and there was a reason for hope and enthusiasm about the White Sox again.

This year's team SHOULD have won the division and should have piled up 89-93 wins with the pitching we have and playing in a very down AL Central except for the Tigers.

It doesn't feel like 2006-07, because the idea of any type of extended run or "dynasty" of Sox dominant winning baseball was still tangible until it ended the final 2 months of 2006.

With how everything KW has touched has turned to mush or sludge for the last 3 years, you can't be completely surprised by this season....well, maybe the Dunn part....but the rest, we've been conditioned to expect over recent seasons.

I'd play Dunn every day the rest of the way and have promotions like, "See if Dunn's batting average is lower than his final strike out total. Things like that.

Play Omar every day (kidding, I may be watching most of these games still).

But I would play Dunn for comedy sake. It's kind of neat to watch him whiff, one time looking, one time taking, almost all times having no clue against a simple fastball.

Jesus man, I left for a wedding at 5P and we were up 8-1. An hour later at the wedding somebody shows me the score: 9-8. WTF?

I said that losing Friday--that was our season right there. I was wrong. This plastering is absolutely the end of us. To blow a lead that big, in a series that crucial, in that way is absolutely the nail in the coffin. The only irony--and a sad irony, considering how FUBAR this team is--is that it was the pitching/defense that failed this time, and not our lack of scoring.

Once again we find ourselves watching a team that never seems to pull it all together at once: when the pitching's good, the offense fails. When the offense is on, the pitching fails. Earlier, when the starters were good, the bullpen would meltdown (remember Thornton-as-closer? Eek!).

Now we have all the rebuild talk, but the sad reality is that any rebuild will still include Dunn in the lineup along with Rios. And will probably mean the exit of Buehrle, Thorton, Danks...

These are dark days. You can't enjoy the present and you don't look forward to the future. Especially if KW remains, as he's promised us the last three years at least that THIS is gonna be the team to do it.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 07:21 AM)
Yes, it is almost certainly over.

This is not even close to a bad team, just a disappointing and frustrating one.

I commend the team for clawing back into a race they had no business being in.

However, they will finish probably 10 games worse than they should.

I know it's a bit prematue for a postmortem, but "11-22." It really says it all.

I commend them for overcoming an even worse DH than Mark Kotsay (never thought that possible).

I love/hate Gordon Beckham - his defense is pure enjoyment to watch. I can barely stand to watch him bat. But he didn't carry that bat onto the field and while he'll never win it, deserves to be GG.

There are more positives to point out of course, the contributions of Humber and the pretty damn stellar seasons of Buehrle and Konerko to name just a couple.

But while you're sharpening your pitchforks for an Ozzie/Kenny bloodbath, think of what might have been if Rios and Dunn had just average seasons by their standards.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 07:11 PM)
Considering a lot of people around here want to give up on guys after a bad month, I really don't think most who want a total re-build have any idea what they are actually wishing for.

They have no idea what they are asking for. Too much OOTP where a rebuild takes a week.

I take solace in the fact that this season, in my opinion, was a complete failure because of poor coaching. Entire line-ups struggling for extended periods of time is an indictment of poor coaching. A team coming out of the gate in April making defensive and baserunning mistakes is an indictment of a manager who doesn't know how to run a spring training. An offense that has the hitters struggling the most in the heart of the order is an indictment of an incompetent, or vindictive in this case, manager.

I feel good about next year with this same core if we have a completely different coaching staff.