"I hope we don't get swept by the Tigers"

Quin

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
There was nothing Ozzie could have done differently in the three games to help the Sox win. Tigers are just flat out better at almost every position, that's all that matters.

except that he went into the series expecting to lose. i think that's something he could have done differently.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 11:23 PM)
except that he went into the series expecting to lose. i think that's something he could have done differently.

This, combined with the Dayan Viciedo quote when he was first called up is upsetting. Again, one of our main "leaders" already given props to the opposition and going in with a mindset that we are going to drop the series to them.

I am still amazed as to how upset people get about that quote. It was in the media about a team on its last breath by a manger who likes to joke. It had zero f***ing effect on the team.

Players avoid the media. Ozzie did not say the same thing to them in the clubhouse. Ozzie deserves to get fired for many reasons, but not this comment. Get over it people! :huh

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 11:23 PM)

If Ozzie told the media, "We will sweep and win the division", what would have changed? Absolutely f***ing nothing. There are way better reasons to complain about Ozzie.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 06:30 AM)
If Ozzie told the media, "We will sweep and win the division", what would have changed? Absolutely f***ing nothing. There are way better reasons to complain about Ozzie.

Then people would have said he fired up Detroit.

Face it, many on the board won't be happy til we get a cliche spouter. You know: We take it one game at a time, we will try our hardest to beat a darn good Detroit team.

Amazing to me but whatever.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 01:39 AM)

Face it, many on the board won't be happy til we get a cliche spouter. You know: We take it one game at a time, we will try our hardest to beat a darn good Detroit team.

Not many times I agree with you Greg.. but I do here.

I would MUCH rather have that, then Ozzie. I would rather have a guy who says whatever he has to say to the media, and behind closed doors, says different stuff. I'm going to step into the realm of football here, but some of my favorite coaches (Mike McCarthy, Bill Belicheck) so this all the time. They say what the media wants/needs to hear, and then they motivate their team behind closed doors. This is what I want. Now, maybe this is more difficult to do in baseball, because you play every day etc. etc. but a manager who keeps out of the media headlines as much as possible is something I like.

Well said. I personally think Ozzie needs to go, but this quote is the last reason why. He has to answer the media everyday, while spouting a different message to his team in the locker room. Especially in today's age of technology, players avoid the media as much as possible, so I wonder how many even heard that quote. If they did, are people really gonna say that's the reason the bullpen collapsed Saturday? I'm getting sick of Ozzie too, but now people are finding reasons to complain just to complain. Come on now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 12:30 AM)

He could have also just, y'know, shut the f*** up.

It's amazing to me in the face of another September when "our fate was in our hands" and we fail miserably, how many people are willing to give our leadership a pass. You all don't want to win as much as being proud of being non confrontational.

I'M STILL IN!

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 03:13 AM)
It's amazing to me in the face of another September when "our fate was in our hands" and we fail miserably, how many people are willing to give our leadership a pass. You all don't want to win as much as being proud of being non confrontational.

Awesome.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 03:13 AM)

Leadership by players, coaches, managers, or front office?

Lou Holtz made a career out of wondering if he could beat teams with 210 pound left tackles when he was stacked with All Americans. Ozzie's "I hope we don't get swept" was nothing, but it still will be nice if someone else is making out the line up card at USCF next season. Just remember he also said he had guys ready to play before the game last night.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 06:37 AM)
Ozzie is not why this team did not win the division this season.

What is with you continuing to post this? I don't know of one person that has said that line. It doesn't even f***ing matter, either way. He's unable to properly use his lineup, often his pitching staff, and has a demeanor that has just run its course.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 08:09 AM)
What is with you continuing to post this? I don't know of one person that has said that line. It doesn't even f***ing matter, either way. He's unable to properly use his lineup, often his pitching staff, and has a demeanor that has just run its course.

Sorry for posting that twice. And thank you for not repeating something you have already posted.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 04:44 AM)
I think there is an outside chance that Gardenhire will be fired as well. If there is a cliche spouter that I would like managing the White Sox next year, it's that guy.

I think the Twins would be idiots to fire Gardy and I don't believe it'll happen but I agree, I would love me some Gardy!

FIRE OZZIE