Buying and Selling Cars

Texsox

So a friend of mine was selling his son's car, a Chevy Impala. I figure it would be a decent ride for my kid when he comes back home in May. I went over this morning and pick it up. Then I realize hanging onto my Dodge would be silly so I decided to list it on Craig's list at near Kelley Blue Book price. Damn if it didn't sell in less than an hour. Now the guy hands me a pile of cash, the rest of the family is following in a car with Mexico plates, so I assume my car will have to learn to speak Spanish and run on government monopoly fuel at PeMex. Adios little buddy.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
So a friend of mine was selling his son's car, a Chevy Impala. I figure it would be a decent ride for my kid when he comes back home in May. I went over this morning and pick it up. Then I realize hanging onto my Dodge would be silly so I decided to list it on Craig's list at near Kelley Blue Book price. Damn if it didn't sell in less than an hour. Now the guy hands me a pile of cash, the rest of the family is following in a car with Mexico plates, so I assume my car will have to learn to speak Spanish and run on government monopoly fuel at PeMex. Adios little buddy.

Make sure you get the title work done, just to be safe. Don't need the DEA knocking at your door. :bang

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
I just received notice from Homeland Security and Border Protection that the vehicle was seized at a border check point. I'm trying to make sense of the notice. I am :lolhitting but worrying also.

Are you serious, or joking? That promises to be a mess if you are serious. Luckily you are the one with the money.

Also, not a surprise that a used car at KBB value would sell that fast - used car prices are high right now, probably higher than KBB's stated price.

Serious. FP&F Case Number 2011535200167101001

Seized for violation of Title 8 US Code Section 1324(a)

I appears that they were bringing in illegals, or an illegal was driving it across the border when it was seized. I won't be claiming the property and it seems this is a not so uncommon happening here. The form I submitted to the State of Texas notifying them of the sale has not been posted yet. I'm told this really is no big deal.

And I am thinking they caught someone committing a crime, not me, and confiscated the property. I was not involved in whatever crime that was committed. I have in multiple locations and places talked about selling the car, I have a witness who watched me sell the car and the new owner drive off. I have a bank deposit to show receiving the cash. I'm thinking I am on pretty solid ground here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 08:22 AM)
Make sure you get the title work done, just to be safe. Don't need the DEA knocking at your door. :bang

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
I just received notice from Homeland Security and Border Protection that the vehicle was seized at a border check point. I'm trying to make sense of the notice. I am :lolhitting but worrying also.

Damn. Wrong federal agency.