And that's 2 White Sox Winners

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Do you know how I know that the Twins are bad? The White Sox have won 7 of 8 and 8 of 10 against them.

Do you know how badly the White Sox messed up early in the year? With virtually the same roster of nobodies, has beens, and never will be's, the Twins could still easily win the season series.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Do you know how I know that the Twins are bad? The White Sox have won 7 of 8 and 8 of 10 against them.

Do you know how badly the White Sox messed up early in the year? With virtually the same roster of nobodies, has beens, and never will be's, the Twins could still easily win the season series.

Apologies to the guys who want a higher draft pick.

That would have been wild had he thrown a perfect game.

He almost did.

I guess Valencia's hit is symbolic of our season. It woulda been the first day all year the Sox were THE story of baseball (on a positive side; we've been the story on the negative side).

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)
Stewart really needed a good start and he came up with a great one. Humber looked good too. Twins are bad but nice to see candidates for the rotation next year step up.

Indeed. I actually do like our rotation going into next season if they sign Buehrle and trade Danks or Floyd.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)
Apologies to the guys who want a higher draft pick.

If I am interpreting your correctly, then you are wrong. I am one of the biggest homers on this board.

I also look at things realistically and objectively and can see that, because the White Sox struggled early and because the magical powers of "CANNOT BE BEATEN" have transferred from the Twins to the Tigers, the White Sox are going to lose this division. I am happy both Humber and Stewart pitched well, and it doesn't surprise me in the least that Humber getting some time off saved his arm and, as a result, his performance improved, even if it was against this s***astic version of the Twins.

I don't care what number they pick at - the general talent level of guys between 6-20 is virtually microscopic, excluding players with signability issues. The best prospect in the game last year was drafted in the 20th round. The (second) best prospect in the game this year was a first rounder - drafted 25th overall.

(oh, and for shiznits and gizzigles, the 2009 MiLB.com players of the year, both pitching and hitting? some dudes named Dan Hudson and Chris Carter. For the record, neither were first round picks)

The only thing I care about right now is that Reinsdorf and the board make the right call and fire Ozzie (because he will not accept reassignment within the organization) and either fire or reassign Williams (because I believe he would, and he is a good baseball mind to have on board - just no longer as the GM). There is simply no justification for this mess, and if the manager and GM cannot work together, then both must go.

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
just for laughs, what would the Sox and Tigers respective records need to be the rest of the way out for the Sox to win the division?

If the Tigers go 15-6, the Sox have no chance to even force a playoff.

If Detroit merely plays about .500 ball, 10-11, the Sox would need to finish 19-4 to force a one game playoff.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
If the Tigers go 15-6, the Sox have no chance to even force a playoff.

If Detroit merely plays about .500 ball, 10-11, the Sox would need to finish 19-4 to force a one game playoff.

Stranger things have happened, but not often. When Hibby made one of his "hope" threads a few weeks ago, I think he left out the '07 Phillies, who trailed the Mets by 7 games with 17 to play and won their division.

Choking was in that Mets team's DNA, though, and these Tigers don't seem to have that problem.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
Stranger things have happened, but not often. When Hibby made one of his "hope" threads a few weeks ago, I think he left out the '07 Phillies, who trailed the Mets by 7 games with 17 to play and won their division.

Choking was in that Mets team's DNA, though, and these Tigers don't seem to have that problem.

Yup the tigs never looked so confident, they know they're playoff bound and playing loose as can be. Will be interesting to see if that carries into the postseason or if when things reset if the pressure will return

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

Zach Stewart first rookie since 1900 to pitch shutout, allow no more than 1 runner and strike out at least 9 (Elias Sports Bureau).

Would he have been the first rookie to throw a perfect game if it wasn't for Valencia?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
Would he have been the first rookie to throw a perfect game if it wasn't for Valencia?

I believe so, depending on how rookie is defined. From what I can see, the closest player to a rookie was from the White Sox. Charlie Robertson in 1922 pitched a perfect game in his 4th career start. He had made one start in 1919, then didn't pitch again til 1922.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 02:45 AM)
If I am interpreting your correctly, then you are wrong. I am one of the biggest homers on this board.

I also look at things realistically and objectively and can see that, because the White Sox struggled early and because the magical powers of "CANNOT BE BEATEN" have transferred from the Twins to the Tigers, the White Sox are going to lose this division. I am happy both Humber and Stewart pitched well, and it doesn't surprise me in the least that Humber getting some time off saved his arm and, as a result, his performance improved, even if it was against this s***astic version of the Twins.

I don't care what number they pick at - the general talent level of guys between 6-20 is virtually microscopic, excluding players with signability issues. The best prospect in the game last year was drafted in the 20th round. The (second) best prospect in the game this year was a first rounder - drafted 25th overall.

(oh, and for shiznits and gizzigles, the 2009 MiLB.com players of the year, both pitching and hitting? some dudes named Dan Hudson and Chris Carter. For the record, neither were first round picks)

The only thing I care about right now is that Reinsdorf and the board make the right call and fire Ozzie (because he will not accept reassignment within the organization) and either fire or reassign Williams (because I believe he would, and he is a good baseball mind to have on board - just no longer as the GM). There is simply no justification for this mess, and if the manager and GM cannot work together, then both must go.

Ha no my post had nothing to do with yours actually. I just hit reply instead of fast reply . Actually just wanted to add that to my 1st post. Sorry for the confusion.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 11:28 PM)
That would have been wild had he thrown a perfect game.

He almost did.

I guess Valencia's hit is symbolic of our season. It woulda been the first day all year the Sox were THE story of baseball (on a positive side; we've been the story on the negative side).

Your posts are just wild.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
Ha no my post had nothing to do with yours actually. I just hit reply instead of fast reply . Actually just wanted to add that to my 1st post. Sorry for the confusion.

Ha no problem, it felt good to vent a little anyways. None of that was directed at you either. As little attention as I paid to the team this year, it was extremely frustrating as a fan because you knew exactly how it was going to play out. Some of us just have a tendency to convince ourselves that this year is going to be different. In the past 10 years, its only been different 2 times.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
Ha no problem, it felt good to vent a little anyways. None of that was directed at you either. As little attention as I paid to the team this year, it was extremely frustrating as a fan because you knew exactly how it was going to play out. Some of us just have a tendency to convince ourselves that this year is going to be different. In the past 10 years, its only been different 2 times.

I am convinced things would have been much better if they had brought up Viciedo and to a lesser extent De Aza before DV's injury. His injury then screwed up bringing him up for another month or more. Just shows how much weight big contracts really carry .