Stewart or Humber?

southsider2k5

Who has the better career for the Sox?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Stewart or Humber?

• Phil Humber
    • Zach Stewart

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 08:40 AM)
I voted for Humber, but only because I love stories like his. Plus the guy has been hit by a line drive in like the last three games he's pitched. He deserves my support.

There us too small a sample size for me guess. Humber pitched well earlier having very low era leading the team. It has only been of late he has faltered. Zack seems too have good stuff against a demoralized Minnesota team.

Tie. Keep both of them. In the future we will be comparing the duo Stewart/Humber to a pair like Halladay/Cliff Lee..Well.hopefully.....lol. Both have potential. Humber has overall had the better year this year. Stewart owns the Twins which could give him a team that you can try to have him start against 5-6 times in a season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 01:00 PM)
Humber, no doubt in my mind

I really like Humber and think he'll be a solid #3/#4. Not sure Stewart will be any better than that. Since I"ve seen more to like out of Humber this year than Stewart, I'll go with Humber. I like Stewart, don't love him, and still think there is a shot he ends up being a better reliever than a starter.

It will be interesting to see though. The big thing I like about Humber is he has the better "plus" pitch out of the two guys (his curve is just nasty). Plus he seems to get nice movement on his fastball and his command has been good. I see no reason Humber can't continue to improve and pitch like he did a good chunk of the year. Heck the only real time he struggled is as he started to fatigue. After building innings this year and with a good off-season of working out, he can be in much better shape and hopefully improve his stamina.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
I really like Humber and think he'll be a solid #3/#4. Not sure Stewart will be any better than that. Since I"ve seen more to like out of Humber this year than Stewart, I'll go with Humber. I like Stewart, don't love him, and still think there is a shot he ends up being a better reliever than a starter.

It will be interesting to see though. The big thing I like about Humber is he has the better "plus" pitch out of the two guys (his curve is just nasty). Plus he seems to get nice movement on his fastball and his command has been good. I see no reason Humber can't continue to improve and pitch like he did a good chunk of the year. Heck the only real time he struggled is as he started to fatigue. After building innings this year and with a good off-season of working out, he can be in much better shape and hopefully improve his stamina.

Completely agree...Humber has much better secondary stuff. I loved seeing the stat earlier today that Stewart's change-up is much more effective than his curve.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
Completely agree...Humber has much better secondary stuff. I loved seeing the stat earlier today that Stewart's change-up is much more effective than his curve.

We're drawing conclusions about the effectiveness of secondary pitches in 8 outings by a sinkerballer, only half of which were starts?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
We're drawing conclusions about the effectiveness of secondary pitches in 8 outings by a sinkerballer, only half of which were starts?

Well, we always talk about the eye test and the metric test...and those stats confirmed that Stewart's curveball is extremely mediocre. Nothing frustrated me more with Garland than when he got hammered on his offspeed pitches when they clearly weren't close to being as effective as his sinker.

Edited by fathom