Stewart or Humber?

southsider2k5

Who has the better career for the Sox?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Stewart or Humber?

• Phil Humber
    • Zach Stewart

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
Well, we always talk about the eye test and the metric test...and those stats confirmed that Stewart's curveball is extremely mediocre. Nothing frustrated me more with Garland than when he got hammered on his offspeed pitches when they clearly weren't close to being as effective as his sinker.

The thing is, as a starter, you have to mix in other pitches.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
Stewart was absolutely painting the outside corner at the knees with something offspeed that was either a slider or a curveball on Monday.

It would have been interesting to see those same starts from Phil and Zach against a Detroit or New York team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
Well, we always talk about the eye test and the metric test...and those stats confirmed that Stewart's curveball is extremely mediocre. Nothing frustrated me more with Garland than when he got hammered on his offspeed pitches when they clearly weren't close to being as effective as his sinker.

I've actually been more impressed from the eye test with Stewart's offspeed stuff than with his sinker. His offspeed stuff has good break, it's probably going to take him a while to develop location on it. I haven't gotten the "lots of ground balls" feel from his fastball yet though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 08:09 AM)
I am surprised Stewart is that far ahead after the year that Phil has put up. Humber strikes me as the Gavin Floyd or Jon Garland type of pitcher. Not much emotion or special stuff, but really seems to be a thinker, sometimes to his own detriment.

Floyd's breaking ball isn't special?