Sox winner . Doesn't anybody care about..

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Bruce Willis.

At least DeAza is earning his playing time (HOPEFULLY) for 2012.

Hopefully if this is Peavy's last start, he has something to build upon for next spring and he can finally ramp his velocity back up into the 94-95 MPH range and rediscover his slider.

Ending up with a sub 5 ERA is also nice...well, it's an improvement of sorts, albeit against a AAA line-up.

It is kind of funny how rock bottom for us fans is 2nd place, and a .500 record.

When you really think about fans of like the Royals, Pirates, Orioles, Astros, and other such teams have to sit there and be overjoyed with a .500 record and anything above 4th place. Kind of makes me happy to know that during my lifetime at least, the Sox have really had some decent expectations, and as a fan we are used to competitive teams that always finish in the top 3, and have a chance to win almost every year.

Just my late-night thoughts.

when the Twins don't make the playoffs it seems they do it right by just completely tanking and getting a good pick the next year. Looks to be the strategy again this year...unfortunately it seems we go on a run at the end of the year for no good reason and end up worsening our position. Expect the same this year, we may even sweep the Indians and Tigers at home just for kicks.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 06:32 AM)
It is kind of funny how rock bottom for us fans is 2nd place, and a .500 record.

When you really think about fans of like the Royals, Pirates, Orioles, Astros, and other such teams have to sit there and be overjoyed with a .500 record and anything above 4th place. Kind of makes me happy to know that during my lifetime at least, the Sox have really had some decent expectations, and as a fan we are used to competitive teams that always finish in the top 3, and have a chance to win almost every year.

Just my late-night thoughts.

I hear totally what you are saying. Normally I wouldn't be so down and mad about 2 over .500. I just feel like because of all the stranded runners and Rios and Dunn, and all the close games when we do win and hardly ever blowing anybody out and all the weird plays this season like the bunted triple play, and being so lousy the first two months it's been a REALLY frustrating season.

I can hardly believe our record.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)
Just so I'm clear...

in 2012 if we lose to the Twins it's the absolute end of the world, because they are so bad.

However, if we beat the Twins, it does not matter or count, because they are so bad.

Is this essentially correct?

Yes.

Beating the Twins when neither team is in contention is worthless. Other then game #163, we've never beaten them when it actually meant something.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 08:23 AM)
Yes.

Beating the Twins when neither team is in contention is worthless. Other then game #163, we've never beaten them when it actually meant something.

In other words, the Sox going 11-7 against the 2005 83-79 Twins after they had won 3 division titles in a row - that meant absolutely nothing.

If the Sox go 6-12 against that Twins team, Cleveland might win the division.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
In other words, the Sox going 11-7 against the 2005 83-79 Twins after they had won 3 division titles in a row - that meant absolutely nothing.

If the Sox go 6-12 against that Twins team, Cleveland might win the division.

Well by that measure, sure, it was definitely beneficial to win the season series against them. But when it's come down to the Twins/Sox for the Central division title, only in '08 have we overcome them.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 12:16 AM)
"Ya know Stone Poney, after everything that's happened this year; Dunn, Rios, Beckham, Peavy, injuries to Carlos and such...to still finish in 2nd place? I believe this season has been saved. I think Kenny, Ozzie, and this whole bunch deserves a chance to go for it again next year."

hawk-harrelson.jpg

Been warning about that since basically the first month of the season.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)
Just so I'm clear...

in 2012 if we lose to the Twins it's the absolute end of the world, because they are so bad.

However, if we beat the Twins, it does not matter or count, because they are so bad.

Is this essentially correct?

If it gets them off of this stupid mental block with beating the Twins, I don't care who is in their uniforms, it matters. If they go back to getting their asses kicked against them next year, it was worthless.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
If it gets them off of this stupid mental block with beating the Twins, I don't care who is in their uniforms, it matters. If they go back to getting their asses kicked against them next year, it was worthless.

Yeah, I'm just enjoying beating that team down.

I'm not sure between the two teams which season was more disappointing.