Are the Phillies that good?

kitekrazy

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 12:13 AM)
I see they won 90 games. I wonder how they would stack up against AL opponents.

I was wondering if anyone was following or watching them? I might have to watch some of their games.

Yes, they are most definitely that good. Best team in baseball, IMO. Their rotation is every bit as good, if not better (Vance Worley?), then advertised. Hunter Pence has reshaped that entire lineup. I don't have any numbers in front of me. But I'm comfortable in saying their offensive production has improved across the board since his trade there. Their only 'weakness' (and this is nitpicking) might be the bullpen. It's not as deep as the Braves or Rangers. Madson and Bastardo have been lights-out. It's questionable somewhat after that. Then again, with baseball's goofy ass playoff scheduling, combined with normal travel off days, they can stick Oswalt and Worley in there and it looks a lot deeper. Then just let Halladay, Lee and Hamels take it from there. I can't believe I just typed that. Halladay, Lee, Hamels. Good god. I need a drink.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 12:38 AM)
Yes, they are most definitely that good. Best team in baseball, IMO. Their rotation is every bit as good, if not better (Vance Worley?), then advertised. Hunter Pence has reshaped that entire lineup. I don't have any numbers in front of me. But I'm comfortable in saying their offensive production has improved across the board since his trade there. Their only 'weakness' (and this is nitpicking) might be the bullpen. It's not as deep as the Braves or Rangers. Madson and Bastardo have been lights-out. It's questionable somewhat after that. Then again, with baseball's goofy ass playoff scheduling, combined with normal travel off days, they can stick Oswalt and Worley in there and it looks a lot deeper. Then just let Halladay, Lee and Hamels take it from there. I can't believe I just typed that. Halladay, Lee, Hamels. Good god. I need a drink.

And thats without Oswalt.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 01:38 AM)

They have the 6th best offense in the NL on the season but 3rd best in August.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Should be a strong crop of playoff teams in the NL. I have the Phillies beating the BoSox in the WS, but Milwaukee or Atl coming out of the NL wouldn't shock me. Best BrewCrew since '82.

Milwaukee is the only team I think that has a chance to beat Philly. Arizona is a great story, but they beat up on bad teams, while they struggle vs. the good teams, so I don't see them making much noise.

The more I watch Atlanta, the more I don't think they have much of a chance. They are unbeatable once it gets to the 7th/8th inning, but I think they may have a hard time getting that far with a lead.

Hanson hasn't pitched in a month, so who knows what to expect from him. Jurrjens came back to earth and is injured now. Hudson has been decent, but Lowe is old & bad. Minor & Beachy have talent, but I don't know if they are ready to take over a playoff series.

That lineup doesn't scare anyone either. Uggla, McCann, & Bourn definitely got their jobs done. Prado has come back to earth, Chipper is solid but 39, Alex Gonzalez is Alex Gonzalez, Heyward rarely starts anymore. Freeman had a great hot streak, but even he slowed down a bit, and he is still only 21.

Well I'm going to have check this team out along with Atlanta and Milwaukee. OF course I get the DBs and hopefully I can go to the park before the season ends.

Last season I probably watched the NL playoffs far more than the AL. I'm getting to like the NL style of play. There's a lot more strategy since there is no DH. I'm getting sick of the DH.

I was listening to Stone talk about how much more difficult it is to be a successful GM in the NL. You don't have the DH to cover up your mistakes. You also have to invest in having a quality bench.

I did notice that the NL teams in contention were still making moves after the deadline.

Unfortunately the NL races seem set. How frustrating it must be for Atlanta having 82 wins and 9 1/2 out. Hopefully I wont forget to see them play the Phillies tonight.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
I was listening to Stone talk about how much more difficult it is to be a successful GM in the NL. You don't have the DH to cover up your mistakes. You also have to invest in having a quality bench.

Adam Dunn agrees that the DH covers up for your mistakes.

My roommate's a Phillies fan and he watches all the games (I watch it with him at times) and I am jealous of that team.

They have a chance to win every game because of the rotation and while their bullpen isn't that good, it's not going to hurt their chances to win it all. Their offense after getting Pence has also been a lot better. No more pitching around Howard to get to Raul Ibanez or John Mayberry.

Once they get Rollins back, that lineup will be pretty legit.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
Well I'm going to have check this team out along with Atlanta and Milwaukee. OF course I get the DBs and hopefully I can go to the park before the season ends.

Last season I probably watched the NL playoffs far more than the AL. I'm getting to like the NL style of play. There's a lot more strategy since there is no DH. I'm getting sick of the DH.

I did notice that the NL teams in contention were still making moves after the deadline.

Unfortunately the NL races seem set. How frustrating it must be for Atlanta having 82 wins and 9 1/2 out. Hopefully I wont forget to see them play the Phillies tonight.

I thought the NL was a joke 3-4 years ago. Now I watch more NL ball than AL (not including the Sox) by a pretty good margin. The pitching inventory the NL features is pretty staggering. And the Braves really have nothing to be frustrated about. The Phillies were the heavy favorites going into the year. And with Uggla being the second worst regular in baseball through July and Jason Heward's sophomore slump, I'd say they'd have to be pretty ecstatic to be a virtual lock for the postseason.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
My roommate's a Phillies fan and he watches all the games (I watch it with him at times) and I am jealous of that team.

They have a chance to win every game because of the rotation and while their bullpen isn't that good, it's not going to hurt their chances to win it all. Their offense after getting Pence has also been a lot better. No more pitching around Howard to get to Raul Ibanez or John Mayberry.

Once they get Rollins back, that lineup will be pretty legit.

They just kick it up a notch every year. They were a laughing-stock just five years ago. They're on the best run the game has seen since the late 90's Yankees teams. They got to the top and stayed there. And there's no end in sight.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
The Phillies have the oldest average roster in MLB by a non-trivial margin.

What's the average age for the guys that matter? Like Raul Ibanez is gone after this year and Jose Contreras is a FA after this year, I think? And the way their system produces, they get the benefit of the doubt. Just this year alone they've had John Mayberry Jr. sport an .844 OPS, Vance Worley go 11-1, and Antonio Bastardo produce a .110 BAA and 232 ERA+. The system ultimately produced a 28-year old star in Hunter Pence. Dominic Brown can't even get a chance because they're so loaded.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
What's the average age for the guys that matter? Like Raul Ibanez is gone after this year and Jose Contreras is a FA after this year, I think? And the way their system produces, they get the benefit of the doubt. Just this year alone they've had John Mayberry Jr. sport an .844 OPS, Vance Worley go 11-1, and Antonio Bastardo produce a .110 BAA and 232 ERA+. The system ultimately produced a 28-year old star in Hunter Pence. Dominic Brown can't even get a chance because they're so loaded.

Halladay, Lee, Howard, Utley, Rollins, and Oswalt are all getting up there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
Halladay, Lee, Howard, Utley, Rollins, and Oswalt are all getting up there.

Thing is Halladay and Lee have shown no signs whatsoever of slowing down. They look as if they have at least another 2-3 years of dominance left in them. Howard is only 31. That's by no means old, not for a 1B anyway. You're right about the other three. That middle infield, while still productive, is very fragile. And Oswalt is just about done. But then you've got Hamels, Victorino, Pence, Worley (obviously I'm not sure if he's legit), Mayberry, Bastardo, Brown all 30 and under. So it evens out.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
Thing is Halladay and Lee have shown no signs whatsoever of slowing down. They look as if they have at least another 2-3 years of dominance left in them. Howard is only 31. That's by no means old, not for a 1B anyway. You're right about the other three. That middle infield, while still productive, is very fragile. And Oswalt is just about done. But then you've got Hamels, Victorino, Pence, Worley (obviously I'm not sure if he's legit), Mayberry, Bastardo, Brown all 30 and under. So it evens out.

Hamels and Victorino both hit Free Agency after 2012, and the Phillies already have $80 million committed for 2013 to just 4 guys.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
Hamels and Victorino both hit Free Agency after 2012, and the Phillies already have $80 million committed for 2013 to just 4 guys.

I know. I don't think Hamels is going anywhere. Brown is definitely a good enough athlete to play CF if Victorino departs. Of course, there's more to it then just being an athlete. And deep playoff runs every year, as you know, = $$$$. Who knows how much fatter their payroll is gonna get.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
I know. I don't think Hamels is going anywhere. Brown is definitely a good enough athlete to play CF if Victorino departs. Of course, there's more to it then just being an athlete. And deep playoff runs every year, as you know, = $$$$. Who knows how much fatter their payroll is gonna get.

Well...you can only sell out the stadium so many times during a season though.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
I might be saying otherwise if the White Sox had that kind of talent, but the Phillies are the least fun team in baseball.

One of the great starting staffs of the last quarter century. Last I checked, Rollins, Utley, Howard, Victorino and Pence weren't classified as boring players. Gotta be a little more specific than "least fun team in baseball."

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
One of the great starting staffs of the last quarter century. Last I checked, Rollins, Utley, Howard, Victorino and Pence weren't classified as boring players. Gotta be a little more specific than "least fun team in baseball."

Ok, I'll say that by boring I mean I really like most of their players but together I expect them to win and can't root for them in any way. Don't care to, or get any enjoyment out of watching them play because they are just an all star team masquerading as an NL East team.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
Ok, I'll say that by boring I mean I really like most of their players but together I expect them to win and can't root for them in any way. Don't care to, or get any enjoyment out of watching them play because they are just an all star team masquerading as an NL East team.

That's fine. I interpreted you saying "least fun team" as they were boring. Not that you hate them because they're so good.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
That's fine. I interpreted you saying "least fun team" as they were boring. Not that you hate them because they're so good.

I don't even hate them, that's the thing. Just have no fun watching a team that is far and away more talented than every team they play.