a little update on olivo

Guest hotsoxchick1

Roman:

Do you think before you write this stuff? Or just post it cold? Think about what you said earlier: You LIKE the idea of Daubach as the catcher because he might hit better than Olivo!

Ummm...why don't we get Mo Vaughn and have him catch? Sure, the ball will get by him 55 times in the game, but he might hit better than Olivo.

There are places on a ballclub where offense is a nice thing but defense and more important, taking away the opponent's offense, is crucial.

I'm not saying we won't get by without Olivo, if it comes to that [i think he'll be fine, cured by a magic touch by Ditka, no doubt]. One of the two minor league catchers or someone else will get us by. But write yourself a note, Roman...You'll be kissing Olivo's feet in the near future, as he matures as a hitter and more import, as his defensive skills continue to grow. This kid can be the real deal. Irod was no offensive threat his first few years. Olivo can hit and once he's comfortable in the bigs, he's gonna be one of the foundations of this team.

Some of your posts make me scratch my head and wonder if you been drinking too much old roman wine...

Forkit!

Ill miss his arm but I sure wont miss his bat. Hes hitting .237 and he cant bunt. Some people here seem to think this is gonna be real bad for us but I dont. I dont think this will even slow us down. Olivo didnt have any patience either. He had one AB in a RISP situation and he struck out after seeing seven straight balls. Not one of the seven pitches was a strike but he still struck out. We ended up losing the game too. We cant have that down the stretch...

You are drastically underestimating the value of Olivo to this team. Everyone is in agreement on his arm, but he has become very good at handling the pitching staff and calling games. I believe I recent read that the team's ERA when he catches was in the top 3 or 4 in the AL. As for his bat, well the dude has picked it up since the break, to the tune of about .275, I believe. You focus on one poor at bat he had, but stop and look at his overall game.