Transitioning to 2012

southsider2k5

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)
I'm glad you posted this. Since hearing various posters say Santos is a mental midget I've been trying to find closer stats and this provides them. We could certainly be worse off than with Santos as closer. His save percentage is the only thing that a top close would be better. The peripherals are outstanding.

Well there are people on this site that believe closers are over rated. Stats don't always tell a complete story. Bobby Thigpen could be considered one of the greatest closers in Sox history. Javy Vasquez would put up 15 games when a team is having a losing season.

Players can put up great stats but you can't disqualify that often greatness is determined when they do it. Bucky Dent became a household name, Bill Billichik is a living god and Peyton Manning couldn't win the big one. Super Bowl III is the only reason Joe Namath is in the HOF.

I believe Danks and Floyd are mental midgets. If Danks becomes a Yankee he will do fine but among that fan base you are measured on how well you do against the Red Sox.

I know I shouldn't be pointing out just a few guys but the team as a whole this century more often fails in pressure showdowns. This weekend reminded me of 2003 (?) when it came to the Sox vs. Twins and you see a team collapse. We've had two managers with the same results. Is it coincidence, manager or players? The only constant has been Kenny, PK and MB. It could very well be the managers since both seem to be easy going guys. Maybe it's Kenny. Players from losing organization don't have to deal with pennant races. One of my favorite seasons as a Sox fan was when JR took over and signed Fisk and Luzinski, and when they signed Seaver. They were from winning organizations. Recently it's been collecting Royals and NL talent which I still believe is a much weaker league. I think there are players whose presence just make a team better. The Big Hurt was the last of them.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
Geez.

It is so depressing to think we could start April with the same team.

I hate reading about Dunn's assured return to normalcy as much as you guys hate me talking about how great Ozzie is.

That is going to grow so old this winter. Dunn is just going to magically start hitting 30 home runs.

I would rather trade a batch of guys than return with the same team if I had to choose one or the other.

Don't know where that's comin' from. After this year, even the most optimistic of posters can't be looking at Dunn as anymore then a wildcard going into '12. I have no expectations for him whatsoever. Everything he's done prior to this season is meaningless. He has to prove himself all over again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
The lineup doesn't lack OBP...that's provided by the boppers. The problem is that it lacks OBP outside of the boppers. That means...it lacks someone who can lead off, unless De Aza can fill that role.

I like deAza, leading off if he got a few more free passes he bould be even better as our leadoff man.

Edited by forrestg

QUOTE (forrestg @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 04:25 PM)
I like deAza, leading off if he got a few more free passes he bould be even better as our leadoff man.

He typically walked at twice his current walk rate in the minors. I think he feels good and is swinging a lot because of it.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
I wonder if the decision has already been made to not bring Juan Pierre back.

I wouldn't rule it out if he signs for under $3M. After watching him get thrown out he's either lost a major step from 1st to 2nd or he's tipping when he's going to steal.

De Aza and Viciedo can't stay in the minors forever. If either once doesn't meet expectations it's still not the epic fail like Anderson and Fields.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
I wouldn't rule it out if he signs for under $3M. After watching him get thrown out he's either lost a major step from 1st to 2nd or he's tipping when he's going to steal.

De Aza and Viciedo can't stay in the minors forever. If either once doesn't meet expectations it's still not the epic fail like Anderson and Fields.

If he comes back, that's not good.

He had a nice year, but he's not the answer to our offensive woes.

We need upgrades somewhere and the outfield SHOULD be CQ, DeAza and Tank with Rios as the sub. Rios could play two or three times a week to keep his interest. Sub for each of the three once a week? But Juan doesn't have enough pop on a team that needs a better hitting outfield.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)
Hopefully fans don't boo in 2012. We would have been a 95 win team this year if it weren't for those jerk fans that started booing in May.

They'll have to beef up security to track down the boo birds and give them stern warnings about hurting the players' feelings.