Soxfest 2012 announced

southsider2k5

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
They destroyed an event that ran really well at the Hilton. The Palmer House sucks and they killed the event with the mandatory hotel stay.

The $75 per pass in addition to the room rates are what killed it. You used to be able to take a family of four for $249 plus tax for the entire weekend. Now it is $619 for the same thing.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)

KW is only doing a Friday seminar. Anyone not buying a hotel package won't be able to question him. Apparently KW isn't "Chicago tough". Its time for a change if the GM or the marketing department is afraid of what the fans might have to say.

OTOH, maybe he'll be too involved in Gavin Floyd trade talks with Toronto those days.

KW needed to go with Ozzie. Its time for a fresh start. This isn't one. The GM is ducking the media and the fans. How effective can he really be? If things are going well he always has something to say. IMO that's a character flaw.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
KW is only doing a Friday seminar. Anyone not buying a hotel package won't be able to question him. Apparently KW isn't "Chicago tough". Its time for a change if the GM or the marketing department is afraid of what the fans might have to say.

OTOH, maybe he'll be too involved in Gavin Floyd trade talks with Toronto those days.

KW needed to go with Ozzie. Its time for a fresh start. This isn't one. The GM is ducking the media and the fans. How effective can he really be? If things are going well he always has something to say. IMO that's a character flaw.

Cmon now, there's a lot to complain about when it comes to Kenny but he's never ducked the media or fans...

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 11:23 AM)
Cmon now, there's a lot to complain about when it comes to Kenny but he's never ducked the media or fans...

He's ducking the Sox fans at Soxfest and Paul Sullivan said last week he has been ducking the press all offseason. But you are right, when things are going well, he's not one to duck anyone's praises.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
He's ducking the Sox fans at Soxfest and Paul Sullivan said last week he has been ducking the press all offseason. But you are right, when things are going well, he's not one to duck anyone's praises.

That's NOT the final soxfest schedule. The sox site says more info to come

Do Sox fans generally ride Kenny pretty hard at his Q and A?

I would think the customers will be surly in asking him hard questions about this supposed half-rebuild/half try to contend thing he has going.

Can somebody ask KW a ? for me?

Q-What was the reasoning behind trading Santos after making the brilliant call to shift him from outfielder to reliever? He appeared to gain experience in the closer's role last year and in theory should be a reliable closer for the forseeable future. Why would you trade a proven closer for other pitching prospects when the closer positiion is vital to a team's success?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
Do Sox fans generally ride Kenny pretty hard at his Q and A?

I would think the customers will be surly in asking him hard questions about this supposed half-rebuild/half try to contend thing he has going.

Can somebody ask KW a ? for me?

Q-What was the reasoning behind trading Santos after making the brilliant call to shift him from outfielder to reliever? He appeared to gain experience in the closer's role last year and in theory should be a reliable closer for the forseeable future. Why would you trade a proven closer for other pitching prospects when the closer positiion is vital to a team's success?

I haven't been to Soxfest in a few years, but people used to routinely fire on KW, and to his credit or fault, he would usually fire back. It was a little akward at times, KW basically chewing out a fan. After the WS win, it was mostly "thanks for 2005". From what it appears only those staying at the hotel and going Friday are going to get to ask him anything.

Since Soxfest is this weekend, Robin played the Shoot the Puck contest last night at the Hawks game. Barely made it to the goal line and didn't score any of the 3 shots. The crowd reaction was very loud & positive when he was announced. I was there, so I didn't get to hear his interview with Kustok.

More still that isn't excerpted, including his reaction to the Fielder deal.

When Kenny Williams was introduced during the opening ceremonies of Sox Fest on Friday, he knew the boos were coming.

How big and how loud? He wasn’t sure. But considering his past history with an unhappy White Sox public, he was actually looking forward to them.

“I was booed in 2004 and 2007 and we went to the playoffs the next year, so bring it on. Hopefully we’ll be three for three,” Williams said in an interview with Comcast SportsNet. “The guys on stage were trying to determine a percentage, and the consensus was 10 percent. I thought it was more like 20.”

The anger and venom that has been slung in Williams’ direction this off-season is a complete 180 from the reaction he received last year at Sox Fest after he signed Adam Dunn and brought back Paul Konerko and AJ Pierzynski.

“A week before this date a year ago, I walked into Chicago Cut Restaurant, and I got a standing ovation from the entire dining room. People were happy. We’re back on the map, we’re going to challenge for a championship,” Williams said. “I came here to Sox Fest and there were praises all around.”

After seeing him get treated like a king for two straight days, Williams’ new girlfriend asked him if this happened all the time.

“I said, ‘You haven’t been through this. Let me explain to you how this is going to work. If these guys don’t play well, if this team doesn’t play well, those same people that were standing and cheering will want me on the next plane out of town. Probably not even a plane — a bus. They probably wouldn’t want me to be that comfortable.’”

After his “All-in” White Sox proceeded to go 79-83, many fans would have ordered a Greyhound to pick up Williams outside U-S Cellular Field, and bought him a one-way ticket.

Since the end of the season, Williams has been bombarded with criticism — for not resigning Mark Buehrle, for trading Sergio Santos and Carlos Quentin for prospects, while hoping that Alex Rios, Jake Peavy, Gordon Beckham and Dunn have bounce back seasons.

Then there’s the fallout of the Kenny-Ozzie feud, which is a chapter all its own. It’s a story that seems to have no end.

Is the Kenny criticism justified? Yes. But has some of the abuse been unfair? Williams singled out two members of the media.

“There are two people in particular who seemingly -- that’s all they know how to write about, and evidently don’t have the ability or the inclination to want to write about anything other than the dead subjects they’ve already covered,” Williams said. “That’s their problem, not my problem. Where it becomes my problem is if people buy into it, and then don’t show up as a result.”

Sagging attendance has become a major problem for the White Sox, who have seen their attendance drop every season since 2006, when they averaged 36,511 a game. In 2011, that number was down to 24,705; their lowest since 2004.

Many of the fans who came out last year booed Adam Dunn, who had one of the worst hitting seasons of all-time. Does Williams expect him to have a comeback season?

“Absolutely," Williams said. "This is a proud man and a very successful man. He didn’t just happen upon the deal that we gave him. He earned it.”

And Williams says he takes part of the blame for Dunn’s struggles at the plate.

“In hindsight, if I can think of one thing we could have done differently, I would have given him more time after his [appendix] surgery at the beginning of the season, because he had a whole month, or six weeks almost of getting ready for the season. After week one, he goes down and now we bring him up into cold weather. Nobody is making any excuses. He’s not making excuses, but if I had to do something in hindsight, I would have left him out another week as opposed to throwing him right into the fire.”

Flavum posted this in the other thread, tons of good info.

White Sox Talk

Bell compared Drew Garcia to Jordan Danks -- great defensively, expect more out of them offensively. #SoxFest

1 hour ago

Hahn adds Lillibridge is probably the fallback plan if Beckham falters. #SoxFest

1 hour ago

"...winning here means more to me than somewhere else." #Hahn #WhiteSox

WhiteSoxTalkCSN White Sox Talk

Coop asked: "Who's hitting behind Pujols? We'll deal with him." #SoxFest

3 hours ago

"...how to play first base." #SoxFest

3 hours ago

Ventura was asked if Morel is going to be a "pet project." Laughed it off. "I also played first base, I don't think I'm gonna tell Paul..."

3 hours ago

Manto, who previously intimated he's not a huge fan of walks, says he'll go on a case-by-case basis for plate approach. #SoxFest

3 hours ago

First question for Manto deals with Carl Pavano. #SoxFest #Twins

3 hours ago

WhiteSoxTalkCSN

Ventura: I was told to never be the smartest guy in the room, feels comfortable with knowledge and experience of coaching staff.

3 hours ago

Ventura, arriving fashionably late, gets a standing ovation. #SoxFest

3 hours ago

@

@Kevin_Goldstein it was about how they have to aggressive at the plate. Used the "can't walk your way off the island" thing.

2 hours ago

cherann23 cheryl

Manto believes in not going in with an approach of we will do it this way. #soxfest

cherann23 cheryl

Sure mechanics are important but need to find hitter strength. #soxfest

1 minute ago

Now some guy is proposing a Johnny Wholestaff option to Ventura and Coop. An...odd way to end the seminar. #SoxFest

3 hours ago

Give RV credit. He's taking all these ridiculous questions about the Ryan right in stride. #SoxFest

3 hours ago

"It's not going to affect my playing performance." -- Ventura #SoxFest

3 hours ago

"I actually did play beyond 1993," says Ventura when asked about Ryan fight for second time. #SoxFest

3 hours ago

Coop: "Whenever I say the word White Sox, I mean Jerry Reinsdorf." Adds his admiration for him as an owner. #SoxFest

3 hours ago

Love the anecdote from Hawk on talking to Ventura after that Rangers game. #SoxFest

3 hours ago

First question dealing with Ventura's charging of Ryan. "It's not like [Ryan] derailed a promising UFC career." #SoxFest

3 hours ago

Robin says he's in the middle between gut and stats. [my comment: That's the way to go. Awesome.] #SoxFest

3 hours ago

Question dealing with sabermetrics. Here we go. #SoxFest

3 hours ago

"I'm not going to treat everybody the same, but I'm going to treat everybody fairly." -- Ventura #SoxFest

3 hours ago

Ventura, when asked how he would sit a high-priced player down: "you invite him over to the bench..." Draws applause. #SoxFest

3 hours ago

Pitching coach Don Cooper said Saturday there are three openings on the Chicago White Sox's pitching staff -- all in the bullpen.

The relievers assured of a spot are left-handers Matt Thornton and Will Ohman and right-handers Jesse Crain and Addison Reed. That could leave Zach Stewart and Dylan Axelrod and left-hander Hector Santiago will realistic shots at winning jobs.

The development of Stewart and Axelrod could play a bigger role if Chris Sale struggles to make the transition from reliever to starter. Sale, 22, threw 71 innings last year and hasn't started since May of 2010 at Florida Gulf Coast University.

Stewart and Axelrod each gained some measure of success as starters with the Sox last season.

"We're not going to handcuff this kid (Sale)," Cooper said at SoxFest. "We'll give this kid just enough experience and let him go."

But Cooper insisted the Sox wouldn't put Sale's health in danger.

"We're going to do everything in our power to not let that happen," Cooper said.

Yes, in case you're wondering, I've decided to spend the afternoon violating SOPA.

cherann23 cheryl

Don't ever swing the bat unless you know what to are gong to do with the ball. Yaz advice. #soxfest

1 minute ago

Malioris John Malioris, Jr.

"Experience is something you get when you don't want to get it." Hawk #SoxFest #WhiteSox

2 minutes ago

Hawk says he learned more about hitting from anyone else by hitting behind...Ol' Yaz. #SoxFest

And then...

MidwayPat Pat Sheehan

Can't believe it took 20 minutes for Hawk to tell a Yaz story. #IBetTheUnder #SoxFest