Aj doesn't plan on giving up playing time

southsider2k5

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
I like how you went through all that trouble to make a point. Well done sir.

Well I didn't think a synopsis was necessary. Most situations should be obvious. But I'll play:

Orioles? Wieters

Yankees? Russell Martin and multiple catching prospects that are close.

Rays? Would never take on that salary.

Red Sox? They have arguably a better catcher in Saltalamacchia at a fraction of the cost.

Jays? J.P Arencibia; Travis D'Arnaud in the minors.

Indians? Santana

Twins? Mauer and if not Mauer, do you really think they want AJ back?

Tigers? Avila

Royals? Makes no sense for them and they're going to give Salvador Sanchez every chance to prove himself.

Indians? Santana

Rangers? Napoli/Torrealba

Angels? Missed this one. MAYBE they'd have interest.

A's? Suzuki

Mariners? Olivo

Braves? McCann

Phillies? Ruiz

Nationals? Ramos

Marlins? Buck

Mets? Paulino/Thole

Cardinals? Molina

Brewers? Lucroy

Reds? Hernandez; multiple elite catching prospects in the minors

Cubs? Soto and they would never trade for him anyway

Pirates? Makes no sense

Astros? Makes no sense

D-backs? Montero

Giants? Posey

Rockies? Ianetta

Dodgers? Barajas and wouldn't touch AJ's salary

Padres? Wouldn't touch his salary and makes no sense for them

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
It's been made pretty clear that this statement is completely wrong. AJ is really uncomfortable with having a potential "Replacement" around, and he doesn't seem like the gentlest teaching personality anyway. But I can't remember ever having seen an article about how AJ was taking Flowers under his wing in Spring Training or anything like that. Heck, this article is dripping with that sentiment...AJ wants to be the starter, he knows that as of right now he deserves to be a starting catcher, his body can take it and he's one of the top 20 producers in MLB at the catching position...why shouldn't he play a few more years and why should he have to take a seat for the kid...

I believe there was an article quoting Flowers on how AJ has been helping him adjust,

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=2462362

about half way through the article.

But who knows what is actually fluff and what is real? I'm not saying that this for sure isn't true, but there were strong hints before that AJ would have no part in mentoring Flowers.

AJ is not the reason for the lousy year that the Sox had. Primary culprits are the two clowns in the middle of the batting order (Rios/Dunn) and the GM who got them. When it became obvious the Sox were not going anywhere, I was hoping for a minor overhaul, and we had a start with moving Jackson, Teahan and finally bringing up DeAza, Flowers, and Viciedo. With Giants missing their great catcher Posey, yet still contending, I was hopeful that we could make a deal with them for AJ. After what the Giants gave up for Beltran, we could have gotten something significant, or so I thought last July.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
AJ is not the reason for the lousy year that the Sox had. Primary culprits are the two clowns in the middle of the batting order (Rios/Dunn) and the GM who got them. When it became obvious the Sox were not going anywhere, I was hoping for a minor overhaul, and we had a start with moving Jackson, Teahan and finally bringing up DeAza, Flowers, and Viciedo. With Giants missing their great catcher Posey, yet still contending, I was hopeful that we could make a deal with them for AJ. After what the Giants gave up for Beltran, we could have gotten something significant, or so I thought last July.

yeah, i'm sure the Giants were super eager to trade for AJ again. Worked out so well the first time.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)

How do you figure they would've given up something significant for AJ? Yeah, he would've been an upgrade over what they currently have in place. But you weren't getting any impact player for a couple months of AJ at his salary.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
How do you figure they would've given up something significant for AJ? Yeah, he would've been an upgrade over what they currently have in place. But you weren't getting any impact player for a couple months of AJ at his salary.

Because the flat out cut AJ in the middle of a contract because they hated him so much there. Yeah, exactly. they were getting nothing for him from SF.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)

Because they were fighting for another Division title and had no catcher.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)
Tyler Flowers is now hitting .210 and walking back to the dugout a lot. If you hate AJ, chances are Flowers is going to drive you to a rubber room.

AJ wouldn't be getting $6M if the organization had a decent catcher. The other prospect was hitting .155 in AA. I think every organization probably faces this problem. I guess if any kid has a dream of making it to the bigs, they should try to become a catcher or a switch hitter.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
AJ wouldn't be getting $6M if the organization had a decent catcher. The other prospect was hitting .155 in AA. I think every organization probably faces this problem. I guess if any kid has a dream of making it to the bigs, they should try to become a catcher or a switch hitter.

or take performance enhancers