9/8 Indians (Huff) at White Sox (Floyd)

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 02:50 AM)
Regarding Morel, I've hated his approach all year, but it's nice to see him finally swing at the ball like a man. I've been waiting for him to turn and burn all year and it appears he is finally doing it (just in time as the season is over). It still doesn't exonerate him from being guilty of being a sally at the plate most of the year, however.

Perfectly said

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
In all fairness rookies never need time to learn anything and their first 30 at bats define their career.

He hit a few homers last September and it didn't mean crap for this year. I'll hold off judgement on his September homers this year.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 10:39 PM)
Flowers looks like a guy who has never bunted in his life. Its nice that Hawk pointed that out, as Ozzie is setting up for failure again. I don't know how its taking the bat out of his hands though. All those craving more Tyler Flowers in 2012 better be careful what they wish for. It looks like the league may have caught up to him.

Flowers never was as good as he looked when he was hitting everything and he won't be as bad as he looks now. With a rookie... He needs legit qt bats to learn what pitchers are doing to adapt to him. His swing looks long because that's one of those mistakes you make when pitchers realize they can get you off balance at the plate.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
Well, I do appreciate it, and it is very nice to see Morel letting loose at the plate. If he can give the Sox 15 homers next year, that would be a huge plus. Rongey actually had a great segment tonight around 6:10pm when he mentioned the huge decline in home runs for the squad this year.

Ozzieball. Home runs are bad.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)
You got word he'll be back? :lolhitting

Regarding Morel, I've hated his approach all year, but it's nice to see him finally swing at the ball like a man. I've been waiting for him to turn and burn all year and it appears he is finally doing it (just in time as the season is over). It still doesn't exonerate him from being guilty of being a sally at the plate most of the year, however.

No, being a rookie exonerates him from that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)
Flowers never was as good as he looked when he was hitting everything and he won't be as bad as he looks now. With a rookie... He needs legit qt bats to learn what pitchers are doing to adapt to him. His swing looks long because that's one of those mistakes you make when pitchers realize they can get you off balance at the plate.

His swing looks long because it is long. It will be a problem for him forever. He reminds me of Josh Fields offensively. Although he could probably hit a 90 mph fastball right down the middle, where Josh is swinging when the catcher is throwing it back to the pitcher.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
Our hr have declined because the cf spot and the dh spot have produced a lot less.

How many did Kotsay hit last year? Ozzie and Soxtalk began hating home runs for some reason. The decline in homers probably is the reason the home record is so horrendous.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
How many did Kotsay hit last year? Ozzie and Soxtalk began hating home runs for some reason. The decline in homers probably is the reason the home record is so horrendous.

Andruw jones hit a bunch out of the dh/cf spot, as did rios. Konerko has a few less, Quentin a few more. Jones kotsay and rios are the big power dropoff.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
I actually think he's going to be a bust.

He might end up being a bust. He is a much better prospect than brent, offensively and overall. I just think that the first year in the majors is rarely indicative of that player's ceiling.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
You got word he'll be back? :lolhitting

If it's not lift and pull which we hear so much about on here and not in a good way it's hitting like a pansy ? As a rookie maybe he was just getting a feel on how to approach certain pitchers or pitchers in general. Both HR's tonight on 1st pitch fastballs. He seems to be a smart player and I think next year we see a batter average and power to go with that stellar glove.

QUOTE (MAX @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)
He might end up being a bust. He is a much better prospect than brent, offensively and overall. I just think that the first year in the majors is rarely indicative of that player's ceiling.

Nope. You are your first 30 at bats. A number 1 pick gets 45.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
If it's not lift and pull which we hear so much about on here and not in a good way it's hitting like a pansy ? As a rookie maybe he was just getting a feel on how to approach certain pitchers or pitchers in general. Both HR's tonight on 1st pitch fastballs. He seems to be a smart player and I think next year we see a batter average and power to go with that stellar glove.

I think Morels problem has been listening to the usual advice to make contact and go the other way... Just too much.

I think Beckham is the same way.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 10:09 PM)
In Mike Schmidt 1st year as a full time 3rd baseman He had 443 plate appearances 62 walks 18 HR , 17 errors .196 BA . 56 RBI , 136 K's. Maybe Morel could have hit 18 HR if all he did was swing for the fences.

So Morel should be a more disciplined Mike Schmidt. Awesome.

Yes, we are beating the Injuns. Remember their hot start to the season. They have totally gone down since then. I don't know what they are going to be like next year. Probably not that great to average.

We are going to have a chance in 2012. Just hope that everybody picks the Tiggs to win the division and that will put less pressure on us.