9/8 Indians (Huff) at White Sox (Floyd)

QUOTE (MAX @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 08:39 PM)
Since you are making arbitrary stats that have little to no meaning in actual production. - here is another:

Walks + HR - Ks = better career

Schmidt: -56

Morel: -29

Brent wins! HOF first ballot. Best 3B all time.

I'm kidding of course, but why not look at something like OPS which is more agreed upon. Brent is obviously lagging there, (.697 v .634) but not by a huge amount. Schmidt ended up with a career OPS .200 points higher than that. If brent can improve his ops by even half that, .100, while providing the plus defense he is quite capable of, he will have a very solid career.

I think its more likely than it is unlikely.

Yea maybe we can have a whole teams of .196 hitters who make a ton of errors and K a bunch of times. I'm sure that would be very productive. Can't believe you guys take every thing so literally as if I was saying Morel will have a Schmidt-like career. As I pointed out later, I just want to see people be a little more patient considering he's a rookie. The complaints about him should be way down on the list of complaints.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MAX @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 10:43 PM)
It is. I am just trying to say that I think it is likely that he will improve his OPS by at least .100 points and be a cheap and valuable asset to the team for the next 4 years.

I hope you're right, but face it, based on last September, you would have figured he would have provided a few more extra base hits this year, and OBP was horrific. He's starting to draw some walks.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 10:48 PM)
Yea maybe we can have a whole teams of .196 hitters who make a ton of errors and K a bunch of times. I'm sure that would be very productive. Can't believe you guys take every thing so literally as if I was saying Morel will have a Schmidt-like career. As I pointed out later, I just want to see people be a little more patient considering he's a rookie. The complaints about him should be way down on the list of complaints.

I agree with you. I was just adding that the stats they used to compare the two were based on . . . I'm not sure what?

I didn't think anyone here thought he would be mike schmidt. The point we are both trying to make, I think, is that with some time, its quite possible that he improves. He has shown some potential.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
I hope you're right, but face it, based on last September, you would have figured he would have provided a few more extra base hits this year, and OBP was horrific. He's starting to draw some walks.

I didn't really pay attention to last years stats, honestly. I thought the potential was there based on his minor league career. I hope that he lives up to it.

QUOTE (MAX @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 08:54 PM)
I agree with you. I was just adding that the stats they used to compare the two were based on . . . I'm not sure what?

I didn't think anyone here thought he would be mike schmidt. The point we are both trying to make, I think, is that with some time, its quite possible that he improves. He has shown some potential.

I think it's very likely he improves. As Balta is so fond of pointing out. He has made adjustments to improve at every level. His adjustment to the majors has been a bit slower but it's highest level a pro ball player can reach so maybe his adjustment period is taking a little bit longer.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 03:36 AM)
If you made a list of the top 25 Sox problems this year Morel would be about 20th.

Disagree with this big time. He was an absolute joke offensively for the first 135 games or so. Just because Dunn, Rios and Beckham have been so bad, it doesn't mean Morel should get a free pass for one of the most ineffective offensive seasons for a third baseman in a long time.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 03:48 AM)

Again, I see nothing wrong with complaining about the approach a hitter had that was so blatantly awful. He's one of those guys you want to understand that it's ok to strike out as long as you're dangerous at the plate.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
Disagree with this big time. He was an absolute joke offensively for the first 135 games or so. Just because Dunn, Rios and Beckham have been so bad, it doesn't mean Morel should get a free pass for one of the most ineffective offensive seasons for a third baseman in a long time.

Have you looked at the WAR of some of the 3rd basemen just this year alone ? McGeehee, Valencia, Reynolds, Dobbs, Moustskas, Inge and Don Kelly for the Tigers, Adam Kennedy and Chone Figgins all the Pirates 3rd basemen, Ty Wigginton . Yea I know you said just offense but baseball plays defense too which WAR accounts for. Even some of those guys I mentioned have been just as bad if not worse than Morel offensively too. Why undervalue his defensive contributions so much?

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
Again, I see nothing wrong with complaining about the approach a hitter had that was so blatantly awful. He's one of those guys you want to understand that it's ok to strike out as long as you're dangerous at the plate.

I guess if you like to complain you can find something to complain about on every player . Myself I like to look at the positive , I see the good because finding fault in others is never a good thing unless it makes you feel better about yourself.