Brent Morel

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
No problem I was using the word afford in both ways. With all the holes he's making nothing compared to the other holes. Dun and Rios are HUGE HUGE HUGE problems for the Sox compared to Morel both offensively and money wise.

But say the Sox make some changes this offseason the free up some cash (Quentin/Danks, etc). The argument was that 3rd would have been the easiest place to make upgrades since you're not going to be able to unload Dunn/Rios.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Morel has shown a pattern over his pro career. He struggles and then adapts. Its clear he's doing the same this year. Give him some time and we will have a mainstay at 3B for years.

Agree with this 100%. I think Morel has the potential for a mid .700's OPS which he has shown the second half of this year. Combined with great defense, that makes him a very solid 3rd basemen. Judging by how hard he has hit his few homeruns this year, I believe he has 15-20 homer potential. The ones he's hit haven't been cheapies.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
You're arguing against no one right now it seems. Go back about 10 days ago, and you'll see balta (I believe) and myself and Cangelosi talking about how the Sox media were starting to rip on Morel for his "sissy" approach at the plate. Now, we're seeing the actual change in his batting philosophy that many of us said wanted to see...and it's very nice to see the results follow. I will add that it's pretty disgusting to see it take this long for Morel to make the changes with Walker not being able to break through to him.

I will agree that I would have liked to see him grip it and rip it more often but that wasn't what was expected from him this year. Maybe he should have changed his approach earlier but expecting Morel to outproduce Dunn and Rios was never in the cards . Once it became apparent that those 2 were terrible beyond belief Morel has made strides . It's just not that easy to change gears like that but he has , showing that he's a smart and versatile hitter.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)
I will agree that I would have liked to see him grip it and rip it more often but that wasn't what was expected from him this year. Maybe he should have changed his approach earlier but expecting Morel to outproduce Dunn and Rios was never in the cards . Once it became apparent that those 2 were terrible beyond belief Morel has made strides . It's just not that easy to change gears like that but he has , showing that he's a smart and versatile hitter.

Offensively, Morel was basically worthless at the plate until this team was out of contention. If you want to say he picked it up once it became apparent that Rios/Dunn were terrible, that would have meant Morel started kicking ass basically in early June. Again, he's had a nice run of late but let's not make it sound like he was some "versatile" productive hitter this year. That said, it would be great to see him continue to show improvements the next 20 games.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
But say the Sox make some changes this offseason the free up some cash (Quentin/Danks, etc). The argument was that 3rd would have been the easiest place to make upgrades since you're not going to be able to unload Dunn/Rios.

Yes easy because of his salary. Not easy because of the lack of production among ML 3rd basemen is pitiful. Only the truly elite 3rd basemen have a solid glove and bat. The rest of the bunch are lacking either offensively or defensively.

But, who do the SOX go and get either via FA or trade? I'd love to upgrade, but can't see who they grab..

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
Offensively, Morel was basically worthless at the plate until this team was out of contention. If you want to say he picked it up once it became apparent that Rios/Dunn were terrible, that would have meant Morel started kicking ass basically in early June. Again, he's had a nice run of late but let's not make it sound like he was some "versatile" productive hitter this year. That said, it would be great to see him continue to show improvements the next 20 games.

He's been more versatile than many of the Sox hitters. Can Dunn change his approach ? Can Rios ? Has Beckham ? In most cases you are who we thought you are. Morel has been hitting the ball oppo all year now he's turning and burning somewhat. That's versatile to me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)

Also the picture you paint is more an indictment of Sox management than it is of Morel . It isn't solely up to Morel to single handedly make up for those guys lack of production. When he started doing it isn't the point anyway . He's doing it now whereas how many other players on the Sox are doing what we have suggested they do ?

Four of the worst six hitters and our hitting coacb can't be fired.

We owe Morel and Beckham another chance with a real hitting coach.

Here is my question, how much does a hitting coach matter, versus talent.

How much was made of Cubs getting the Texas hitting coach last year... And then did they hit? Did he really matter that much?

And did Texas hurt from losing the guy?

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)

How much was made of Cubs getting the Texas hitting coach last year... And then did they hit? Did he really matter that much?

lol. Damn. DA created another account.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)

Then we can fire Greg Walker to make a change, because obviously we will not get better or worse.

A lot of the Cubs have decent approaches at the plate. It's their non-Garza pitching and lack of clutch hitting that hurts them.

The three guys on our roster who haven't spent a lot of time with Walker have our best approaches after Paulie.

In fact, if hitting coaches don't matter fire him because he is a waste of resources.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
And those bumps in the road are 100 times more acceptable if you're not going "all in" for the season and focusing instead on long-term development.

Are we still hung up over that stupid commercial series? Do you drink Miller Lite because it has more taste? Is Coke the real thing for you? Does Google really do no harm?

Quit taking your tv so damned seriously people.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
He could be Brooks Robinson defensively. His offensive production has to dramatically improve to justify him playing every day. Does he have to be Longoria, Wright or Zimmerman? Of course not. Does he have to be Adrian Beltre? No. But Ty Wiggington/Adam Kennedy-like production will not suffice.

Ty Wigginton has a career OPS of .769, only 22 points lower than Beltre. IMO, that type of production would be more than enough with his defense.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
He could be Brooks Robinson defensively. His offensive production has to dramatically improve to justify him playing every day. Does he have to be Longoria, Wright or Zimmerman? Of course not. Does he have to be Adrian Beltre? No. But Ty Wiggington/Adam Kennedy-like production will not suffice.

I've thought of him as a Joe Randa for a while (and I know others do as well). I still think that, and I'd be satisfied with it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Morel has shown a pattern over his pro career. He struggles and then adapts. Its clear he's doing the same this year. Give him some time and we will have a mainstay at 3B for years.

His adapting usually happened over one season. The thing is, I think we all understand, that the major leagues are a much bigger jump. So, it doesn't surprise me that the adapting is going to take over a year instead of the normal one-year span.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)
Are we still hung up over that stupid commercial series? Do you drink Miller Lite because it has more taste? Is Coke the real thing for you? Does Google really do no harm?

Quit taking your tv so damned seriously people.

It was more than a TV gimmick, and to say that it wasn't now is just a cop out. They put in a ton of money for this team and emphasized the fact that they need to do well in April and May in order to be competitive throughout the year and draw fans to pay for the team. This was an organization-wide plan and it blew up in their faces.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
His adapting usually happened over one season. The thing is, I think we all understand, that the major leagues are a much bigger jump. So, it doesn't surprise me that the adapting is going to take over a year instead of the normal one-year span.

It has just now been a year.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
It was more than a TV gimmick, and to say that it wasn't now is just a cop out. They put in a ton of money for this team and emphasized the fact that they need to do well in April and May in order to be competitive throughout the year and draw fans to pay for the team. This was an organization-wide plan and it blew up in their faces.

If you are going to stop and rationalize it, do it all of the way. "All-in" for the White Sox doesn't mean a $300,000,000 payroll with an all-star at every position. It means $125 million, with some holes in the team. The idea that it means something more than that is just silly. Taking a TV commercial and turning into the best team eva isn't reality either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
If you are going to stop and rationalize it, do it all of the way. "All-in" for the White Sox doesn't mean a $300,000,000 payroll with an all-star at every position. It means $125 million, with some holes in the team. The idea that it means something more than that is just silly. Taking a TV commercial and turning into the best team eva isn't reality either.

I actually said at the beginning of the season, when everyone was eating the "all-in" crap up, that eventually when the team failed, people would rationalize it by saying that it was just an ad campaign and nothing else. Maybe you really believe it or maybe you don't, I dunno. I just find it funny.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
I actually said at the beginning of the season, when everyone was eating the "all-in" crap up, that eventually when the team failed, people would rationalize it by saying that it was just an ad campaign and nothing else. Maybe you really believe it or maybe you don't, I dunno. I just find it funny.

Like I said, "all-in" is relative. If you have a small pile of chips, or are the chip leader, you are betting different amounts. The people who want to take that ad as meaning the Sox were going to have some sort of line up with no holes in it aren't grounded in any kind of a reality.