I hate(d) grammar

Texsox

My next section is on grammar and I've heard so many people say they hated learning grammar in school. What sucked and what did you like? My students are surprised when I tell them I disliked "English" class when I was in middle school. Grammar was what I really disliked. Endless diagramming of sentences for no apparent reason. I've downloaded purchased all of the Grammar Rocks™ videos. Now I'm brainstorming some other lesson ideas.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 06:21 AM)
My next section is on grammar and I've heard so many people say they hated learning grammar in school. What sucked and what did you like? My students are surprised when I tell them I disliked "English" class when I was in middle school. Grammar was what I really disliked. Endless diagramming of sentences for no apparent reason. I've downloaded purchased all of the Grammar Rocks™ videos. Now I'm brainstorming some other lesson ideas.

Bring a bamboo cane to class as a reminder to use their "your"s, "there"s, and "where"s correctly. Or else...

My little form of torture involves the can I instead of may I. As in can I go to the bathroom? I assume you know how. Now please sit down and get back to work. Or Can I go to the bathroom? Can you tuck in your shirt (a school rule I rarely enforce except in these cases).

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
My little form of torture involves the can I instead of may I. As in can I go to the bathroom? I assume you know how. Now please sit down and get back to work. Or Can I go to the bathroom? Can you tuck in your shirt (a school rule I rarely enforce except in these cases).

My elementary school principal used to give us the "I don't know, can you?" anytime people asked improperly. I still remember that to this day.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)
My elementary school principal used to give us the "I don't know, can you?" anytime people asked improperly. I still remember that to this day.

I used that line on my kids once and they had no clue what point I was trying to make. Teachers must not use it anymore.

Edited by Iwritecode