Beane on Pitt playing him, Moneyball movie

caulfield12

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.boxofficemagazine.com/reviews/2011-09-moneyball

One of the first Moneyball reviews...glowing marks overall for Pitt and the movie itself, especially the screenwriting.

Don't remember the A's being in the World Series though, wonder if the reviewer was simply confused by the baseball action or the team actually making the Series instead of being defeated by the Yankees/Twins, etc., was a change from real life events? Hope not.

The first review I read claimed it was the best baseball movie since "Bull Durham," but that movie had a clear love triangle playing out.

It will interesting to see what holds the interest of the viewer in this one, since Sean Penn's ex (Robin Wright Penn) and his daughter seem to be figures in the background of the story.

Even the first Major League was largely successful because it was not only about baseball but the relationship between Tom Berenger and Rene Russo.

It seems to me that Jonah Hill is getting most of the attention, along with Pitt.

The first review I read claimed it was the best baseball movie since "Bull Durham," but that movie had a clear love triangle playing out.

It will interesting to see what holds the interest of the viewer in this one, since Sean Penn's ex (Robin Wright Penn) and his daughter seem to be figures in the background of the story.

Even the first Major League was largely successful because it was not only about baseball but the relationship between Tom Berenger and Rene Russo.

It seems to me that Jonah Hill is getting most of the attention, along with Pitt.

So far at RT, 14 positive reviews and only 3 negatives (and Keith Law, as well, haha)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/sep/09...kin?INTCMP=SRCH

UK woman who's obviously not a sports fan

http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/the-lat...5031811.article

http://www.slantmagazine.com/house/2011/09...ken-with-plums/

Audiences, on the other hand, are likely to be sated until they realize that the film's ostensibly down-to-earth, human orientation contradicts its central historical truth: that, despite Malcolm Gladwell's belief to the contrary, intuition can very often be defeated by the precise and mechanical.

Take that, Ozzie Guillen!!!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
You realize Royce Clayton is in Moneyball, right? He plays Miguel Tejada.

That's so bad...haha.

At least the actors that play David Justice and Scott Hatterberg don't look that out of place.

That's so bad...haha.

At least the actors that play David Justice and Scott Hatterberg don't look that out of place.

Well Frank Thomas was scheduled to play Hatterberg, but.. realized how bad Thomas was with the glove.. they passed...

And to take it further.. I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think Depeche Mode is a sweet band!

And I am so going to see this, GF is down as well.

Edited by VictoryMC98

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/daily-take...ont-work-anymor

Good Passan article on the demise of the baseball movie (Bull Durham/Major League/Field of Dreams) and why Moneyball comes up short...along with the changing world demographics of movie watching and the growing appeal of the NFL (and I'll add NASCAR).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:50 AM)
So I guess KW is overqualified to have a movie about him, having actually won league and WS championships.

Andrew Friedman is way more deserving of praise than Beane is. The A's have only won one playoff series under Beane, and that was vs. the Twins, which doesn't really count anyway.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
Andrew Friedman is way more deserving of praise than Beane is. The A's have only won one playoff series under Beane, and that was vs. the Twins, which doesn't really count anyway.

Friedman, Daniels, Theo, KW, etc. all would make better movies.

Friedman and Daniels both turned nothings into contenders.

Theo and KW ended two of the longest sports droughts ever.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
Friedman, Daniels, Theo, KW, etc. all would make better movies.

Friedman and Daniels both turned nothings into contenders.

Theo and KW ended two of the longest sports droughts ever.

It's Friedman at this point (with AA closing in). What he's been able to accomplish in that division defies any scientific logic. They draft better than any team in baseball, they've made multiple outstanding trades (Zobrist, Joyce, both Garza trades, Kazmir), they put a STRICT emphasis on defense (just check their UZR figures the last four years) and baserunning. Just an amazing organization and one that I truly envy.