Beane on Pitt playing him, Moneyball movie

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 08:20 AM)
Surprised nobody has commented on this movie yet.

With how bad the White Sox are, I guess everyone's watching football but you'd think at least one person here would have seen it.

generally I have hated all baseball movies.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weekend’s runner-up was the new Brad Pitt baseball drama Moneyball, which batted a solid $20.6 million. If the estimate holds, that’ll represent the best opening ever for a baseball film, beating 2006′s The Benchwarmers ($19.7 million). Surprisingly for a sports movie, Moneyball drew a crowd that was evenly split between men and women, although it skewed quite older, with 89 percent of the audience at least 25 years old. Both critics and moviegoers were fans — the PG-13 film received some of the strongest reviews of the year and earned an “A” rating from CinemaScore participants.

Moneyball will now try to follow in the box-office footsteps of last year’s The Social Network, which debuted to a similar $22.4 million en route to a domestic total of $97 million. Both movies were released by Sony in the middle of fall and were written by Aaron Sorkin (who co-wrote Moneyball with Steven Zaillian). The two films even cost around the same amount to produce: $50 million for Moneyball and $40 million for Social Network.

ew.com

I saw DRIVE last night. I was really struck by the almost visceral level of violence in that movie. I can see where there's some discord between the audience and the director's winning of the Cannes Award. My opinion is somewhere in the middle. Thought that Albert Brooks was very good playing against type as a mobster, and that Gosling is definitely trying to cement himself as this generation's Steve McQueen, albeit with more range in dramas and comedies.

There were way too many plot holes to take the movie too seriously. It's almost like the movie that is SO COOL that it challenges another director to come along be cooler/hipper/trendier. While it was easy to watch, the motivations of the main characters (especially Gosling) were hard to discern. It definitely felt like it was directed by a European who was paying homage to American movies and was trying TOO HARD at times. The first chase scene, though, was one of the better ones I've seen in years. And the mostly techno soundtrack wasn't as big of negative as it was for others.

Carey Mulligan was woefully underutilized, and I never "bought" the idea of her in the situation she found herself in because she just seems too nice, not unlike Natalie Portman in most of her roles. She definitely does have a little bit of that Audrey Hepburn quality and presence.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
I liked the movie. Slow at times but overall entertaining. If anything, you should see it because White Sox legend Royce Clayton plays Miguel Tejada.

Did he bulk up for the role or go with the skinny roidless Royce look?

Great, a Nick Swisher movie on the way...probably starring Nick himself.

Nick Swisher

Then: A's prospect. Now: Yankees' outfielder.

Swisher was among the A's record seven draft picks before the second round in 2002 - a major part of the book, but not the movie.

"The main focus of the book is our draft class - and we're not even in the movie!" Swisher said with mock outrage. "Brad Pitt playing Billy Beane, though - I'm interested in seeing that, whatever angle they take."

Swisher has some showbiz insights now. He's married to sitcom actress JoAnna Garcia and he appeared in an episode of "How I Met Your Mother."

Michael Lewis

Then: "Moneyball" author. Now: He has a new book, "Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World," coming out Oct. 3; he is working on a pilot for an HBO show based on his 2008 Vanity Fair article about a Cuban arrested for smuggling players into the United States; and he will follow the 2002 draft class in, yes, a sequel to "Moneyball."

"It was originally sold as two books," Lewis said. "I did a whole lot of work already, I have a lot of old journals shelved. I didn't want to write it before, but now it's kind of clear what I'd like to do."

At one point, Lewis said he wasn't sure how much Swisher might be in the second book, but Swisher is a regular contributor for the Yankees' first-place team and his outsized personality is well suited to New York.

"I told him, 'You're a big part of the book now,' " and Nick said, 'Of course I am!' " Lewis said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...3#ixzz1Z1yiQOw2

Edited by caulfield12