What should be the Sox focus in the offseason?

harfman77

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
...Because they're set at Catcher with Flowers and his .218 batting average...

If they can find someone who would take AJ's full salary, then going with that wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. He's still got an OPS comparable to AJ's despite the low batting average, and there's reason to believe he can get better from here too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)
If they can find someone who would take AJ's full salary, then going with that wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. He's still got an OPS comparable to AJ's despite the low batting average, and there's reason to believe he can get better from here too.

I agree that if someone were willing to take AJ's entire salary it might serve the Sox well in letting him go. But to say getting rid of AJ should be the Sox' focus this offseason is ridiculous.

And just to remind people, the reason AJ is making $6M next reason is because he deferred a couple million of his salary so that the Sox could re-sign Konerko. He did the Sox a favor and if the Sox want other players to give them similar considerations in the future it may not be wise to appear overanxious to dump a guy after that. Besides, AJ has the right to veto any trade.

AJ is definitely on the downward side of his career but he's still a contributing member to the team. AJ is very underappreciated by some people here.

i think once the GM/Coach thing is settled priority #1 needs to be deciding the pitching staff. While is don't think it's likely as some might be suggesting, I think Sale needs to move to the rotation. If we re-sign MB then that gives us 7 starters: MB, Danks, Peavs, Floyd, Humber, Stewart, Sale.

Re-signing MB and trading Danks seems to make the most sense to me. A team like Washington (habitually looking for a vet to plop behind Strasburg) might be willing to offer a couple of nice spects if he'll sign an extension. Sale will likely be on an innings limit if hes transitioned to the rotation so starting him as the long man to begin the year would make sense. if he performs well consider trading Floyd at the deadline next year.

that is roster priority #1 to me. gotta figure out the short / long term direction of our staff

From baseball-reference:

A friend of Mark Buehrle's doesn’t believe the left-hander would retire after the season, when he is set to hit free agency. Buehrle would have been open to pitching for the Cardinals, but they have a full rotation set up for 2012, assuming they exercise Adam Wainwright’s options.

White Sox officials have been saying they need to cut payroll, according to Stark. Like the Cardinals, they have five starters under team control for 2012 even without Buehrle.

Also this.....

The Marlins won’t be able to obtain manager Ozzie Guillen from the White Sox unless they’re willing to part with a “big-time player.”

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)

Is the reason to believe he will get better the same reason Josh Fields and Jerry Owens were only going to get better?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
Aren't you dissin' your boy with this post?

Absolutely not. Flowers is older than Beckham and swings and misses a lot. Unfortunately, contrary to Soxtalk consensus, the greatest hitting coach who ever lived could not make everyone a great hitter. Flowers has had a tough time making contact. If he doesn't figure out how to make more of it, he's not going to be very good.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)
I think they should concentrate on bringing some big names into Soxfest taking everyone's attention off of what probably will be very little they do with the roster.

We already know they're bringing back fan favorite, Joe Crede. It's just another depressing sign that they're clinging on to the past in order to cover up the joke they've become.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 04:28 AM)
We already know they're bringing back fan favorite, Joe Crede. It's just another depressing sign that they're clinging on to the past in order to cover up the joke they've become.

LOL. A depressing sign bringing a former player back to some insignificant offseason gathering for the fans?

I'd think a few fans wouldn't mind getting Joe's autograph.

The team is a joke, but I don't think bringing Joe Crede to some fan deal is a problem.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)

They do that every single year at Soxfest. That is what Soxfest is all about honestly.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)

Because no other baseball team in the majors brings back old players to offseason gatherings. What a joke.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)
Because no other baseball team in the majors brings back old players to offseason gatherings. What a joke.

With us, it seems like they're trying to score those extra sympathy/sentimental points because even they know they've become irrelevant since that title.

The Sox do not really need to add anything from outside the organization for next season. However, unfortunately, they do have another roster problem. They must either unload Rios and, or Dunn and their big contracts, or fix their shocking declines in performance.

They don’t need Rios, as they have plenty of outfield options, including center field. I understand that he’s making too much money to be a 4th outfielder, but much like the Angels overpaid Gary Matthews Jr. to be a defensive replacement, when his production mandated a demotion, that might be the best use of Rios. He would be overpaid, but at least he wouldn’t be killing their offense, and with both Quentin and Viciedo in the outfield, Rios might actually be of value as a defensive replacement. Of course it would be much better to unload that horrible contract, which would likely require that they assume a significant portion of his salary. An outfield of Quentin in LF, Viciedo in RF and a platoon of de Aza and Lillibridge in CF would be fine. Moreover, the de Aza/Lillibridge platoon makes a very serviceable lead off tandem, although Brent’s OBP is questionable for a lead off hitter, he makes up for it with his pop vs. LHP.

The payroll relief afforded by both de Aza and Viciedo is very significant. They could comprise 2/3 of the outfield, and make Quentin’s salary increase possible. The offense will likely need both Quentin and a productive Viciedo. Again, Rios has to be the odd man out, hopefully via trade, but if not, his role has to be reduced. De Aza has been every bit as effective vs. RHP, as he has been the last two years at AAA.He could be a very serviceable center fielder and leadoff hitter.

His stats vs. RHP for both Charlotte and the Sox so far this year have been very impressive, as they were last year. Everyone talks about Viciedo, but de Aza has really been the better player, though of course he lacks the power potential of Viciedo, and is 5 years older.

The Sox may have to trade J. Danks just to entice a team to take Rios and his contract, and it might even be worth the sacrifice. Sale could take his spot in the rotation as a lefty. However, if Danks is traded, they better resign Buehrle. I don’t like the rotation with only one lefty.

I’d personally prefer to see them just pay part of Rios’ contract in order to get another team to take him. If they could unload most of that contract they might be able to pay Danks, and even resign Buehrle, if he’s willing to take less than he made this year.

The biggest problem is Dunn. He must rebound, primarily because this team badly needs a left handed hitting presence in the heart of the heavily weighted right handed hitting lineup. Rios, though expensive is not indispensable, but Dunn has to provide the only left handed threat.

I’ve suggested elsewhere that Dunn should shorten his swing and maybe even choke up, a la Barry Bonds. A man that big and strong doesn’t need a big long swing. What he needs to do is make contact. Any time he hits the ball it has a chance to leave the yard, because he is that powerful. It just seems obvious that making more contact should be his number one objective. If they can get Dunn back to his normal production, the offense should be fine.

I would expect that another year of experience should see improvement from both Beckham and Morel. A new hitting coach might help as well.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
With us, it seems like they're trying to score those extra sympathy/sentimental points because even they know they've become irrelevant since that title.

I get your point, but I think every team does it. The Yankees bring around those old timers all the time, even the Red Sox bring Dave Roberts around constantly, who had one stolen base.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 01:39 AM)
The Sox do not really need to add anything from outside the organization for next season. However, unfortunately, they do have another roster problem. They must either unload Rios and, or Dunn and their big contracts, or fix their shocking declines in performance.

They don’t need Rios, as they have plenty of outfield options, including center field. I understand that he’s making too much money to be a 4th outfielder, but much like the Angels overpaid Gary Matthews Jr. to be a defensive replacement, when his production mandated a demotion, that might be the best use of Rios. He would be overpaid, but at least he wouldn’t be killing their offense, and with both Quentin and Viciedo in the outfield, Rios might actually be of value as a defensive replacement. Of course it would be much better to unload that horrible contract, which would likely require that they assume a significant portion of his salary. An outfield of Quentin in LF, Viciedo in RF and a platoon of de Aza and Lillibridge in CF would be fine. Moreover, the de Aza/Lillibridge platoon makes a very serviceable lead off tandem, although Brent’s OBP is questionable for a lead off hitter, he makes up for it with his pop vs. LHP.

The payroll relief afforded by both de Aza and Viciedo is very significant. They could comprise 2/3 of the outfield, and make Quentin’s salary increase possible. The offense will likely need both Quentin and a productive Viciedo. Again, Rios has to be the odd man out, hopefully via trade, but if not, his role has to be reduced. De Aza has been every bit as effective vs. RHP, as he has been the last two years at AAA.He could be a very serviceable center fielder and leadoff hitter.

His stats vs. RHP for both Charlotte and the Sox so far this year have been very impressive, as they were last year. Everyone talks about Viciedo, but de Aza has really been the better player, though of course he lacks the power potential of Viciedo, and is 5 years older.

The Sox may have to trade J. Danks just to entice a team to take Rios and his contract, and it might even be worth the sacrifice. Sale could take his spot in the rotation as a lefty. However, if Danks is traded, they better resign Buehrle. I don’t like the rotation with only one lefty.

I’d personally prefer to see them just pay part of Rios’ contract in order to get another team to take him. If they could unload most of that contract they might be able to pay Danks, and even resign Buehrle, if he’s willing to take less than he made this year.

The biggest problem is Dunn. He must rebound, primarily because this team badly needs a left handed hitting presence in the heart of the heavily weighted right handed hitting lineup. Rios, though expensive is not indispensable, but Dunn has to provide the only left handed threat.

I’ve suggested elsewhere that Dunn should shorten his swing and maybe even choke up, a la Barry Bonds. A man that big and strong doesn’t need a big long swing. What he needs to do is make contact. Any time he hits the ball it has a chance to leave the yard, because he is that powerful. It just seems obvious that making more contact should be his number one objective. If they can get Dunn back to his normal production, the offense should be fine.

I would expect that another year of experience should see improvement from both Beckham and Morel. A new hitting coach might help as well.

I think that's a good post. Very good.

I do think it'd be nice to try again with some other bullpen guys. That guy we acquired from Toronto is a hack and Crain was good but not nails IMO. Matt's pitches scream "hit me" at times.

The Sox may have to trade J. Danks just to entice a team to take Rios and his contract, and it might even be worth the sacrifice.

I'm a huge Danks fan, but if 1) someone will take Rios and all or most of his contract with Danks and 2) Buehrle can be re-signed, then I'm all for it.

Best-case scenario for the Sox is a massive pitching fail for the Yankees and/or Red Sox in October.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 06:56 AM)
I'm a huge Danks fan, but if 1) someone will take Rios and all or most of his contract with Danks and 2) Buehrle can be re-signed, then I'm all for it.

Best-case scenario for the Sox is a massive pitching fail for the Yankees and/or Red Sox in October.

And they would both wait until after next season when Hamels/Cain hit the market. Rios? Yeah, not happening.

Edited by Jordan4life