Ozzie is leaving on a jetplane

southsider2k5

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Albert-...et-notes-091211

OZZIE: GOING, GOING . . .

A few weeks back, a source familiar with Ozzie Guillen’s thinking predicted that it was 95 percent certain that Guillen would remain the White Sox’s manager.

The source has now dropped the odds to 50-50, and says Guillen’s chances of staying are that good only because owner Jerry Reinsdorf has been loyal to him before.

Guillen wants a contract extension, and so far the White Sox are cool to the idea. Something has to give: The return of Guillen as a lame duck would be potentially explosive for both sides.

The Sox do not figure to be much better next season, if at all. Left-hander Mark Buehrle and left fielder Juan Pierre are eligible for free agency. Right fielder Carlos Quentin and left-hander John Danks, one year away from hitting the open market, are candidates to be traded.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
It seems cut and dried.

If they won't extend him, it's off to Florida where I say he gets four years. Many of you tell me I'm wrong and he'll 'only' get three.

the only time people tell you that you are wrong is when you say he will go to florida and win multiple championships and they will love him there. that is a outrageous prediction at the very least

It seems cut and dried.

If they won't extend him, it's off to Florida where I say he gets four years. Many of you tell me I'm wrong and he'll 'only' get three.

Remember he is under contract tho. He can't just leave. If we don't fire him he either manages for us or we trade him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
Who on Earth is actually giving those odds?

Unless it's the Chairman or the GM, they're meaningless, there's nothing given here that we already don't know. If the Chairman steps up and says no, he stays.

Ken Rosenthal has been the senior baseball writer for FOXSports.com since August 2005. He appears weekly on MLB on FOX. Follow him on Twitter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
Ken Rosenthal has been the senior baseball writer for FOXSports.com since August 2005. He appears weekly on MLB on FOX. Follow him on Twitter.

Ken Rosenthal told that to Ken Rosenthal?

Look, if the decision hasn't been made yet then that's another thing wrong with this org. The division is already decided, nothing important is going to change in the next month. The only ? ought to be whether there's a price from Florida that would change their minds if they intend to hold onto him.

It seems cut and dried.

1) It's not cut and dried. 50/50 isn't 10/90

2) He can only go to Florida and win three consecutive WS titles if the Sox fire or trade him. He's under contract for 2012.

3) Why would someone argue how many years he gets? If he's not associated with the Sox, we don't care.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
If he wants to go to Florida and Florida wants him, its possible to arrange a buyout also

i was going to say, why would he want to go to the marlins(aside from the location and new park) since hes not going to win in that division but then i looked at the sox roster for next year and then i thought, nevermind lol

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
i was going to say, why would he want to go to the marlins(aside from the location and new park) since hes not going to win in that division but then i looked at the sox roster for next year and then i thought, nevermind lol

The Marlins have, when healthy, one of the better young/talented cores in the game.

Hanley

Stanton

Morrison

Sanchez

Johnson

Nolasco

Anibal Sanchez

But like you said, that's the wrong division to be in right now. With the run the Phillies are on and that avalanche of talent Atlanta has on the horizon, everybody else is playing for third place.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 03:17 PM)
The Marlins have, when healthy, one of the better young/talented cores in the game.

Hanley

Stanton

Morrison

Sanchez

Johnson

Nolasco

Anibal Sanchez

But like you said, that's the wrong division to be in right now. With the run the Phillies are on and that avalanche of talent Atlanta has on the horizon, everybody else is playing for third place.

And the Nats probably have a leg up on that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)

Hanley

Stanton

Morrison

Sanchez

Johnson

Nolasco

Anibal Sanchez

But you add Ozzie to that equation, and Florida would easily have two championships locked up at the minimum.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
But you add Ozzie to that equation, and Florida would easily have two championships locked up at the minimum.

i agree :D lol but yup, although talented, at this point, wrong division to be in. might as well take ur chances with the a.l. central

Cmon. The Phillies aren't going to win it every year from now until 2050.

Atlanta scares nobody.

Their chances of making the playoffs or better are as good as the White Sox IMO.

Edited by greg775

Cmon. The Phillies aren't going to win it every year from now until 2050.

Atlanta scares nobody.

Their chances of making the playoffs or better are as good as the White Sox IMO.

Well Philly has the best Rotation in baseball locked up for a while..

ATL pitching and young talent isn't too shabby either.

I do think depending on if he Nats bring up Harper, or keep him in minors.. That the marlins are a lock for 3rd in 2012.. Which isn't all that bad. Ozzie came here in 04, watched a KW built team.. Then we made some huge changes to the roster. I don't think Ozzie can magically make Josh Johnson healthy for a full year. FLA pitching (and not looking at the #s) isn't as good IMO as the other too.