Ozzie is leaving on a jetplane

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
It's quite simple. I don't see how anybody can call him a "piece of trash manager" when he led a CHICAGO team to a WS. When I see outlandish s*** like that, I feel like saying something in support of Oz. You can say he lost the team but he's not a piece of trash manager. I mean he's been in Chicago longer than most managers/coaches stay with their teams. Change is coming but if he was total trash Florida wouldn't be ready to sign him for four years.

about 90% of this post I was ready to sit there and say, wow, this all makes sense. But you couldn't resist. You had to throw something in that made the post unable to respect. You just had to.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 10:39 PM)
about 90% of this post I was ready to sit there and say, wow, this all makes sense. But you couldn't resist. You had to throw something in that made the post unable to respect. You just had to.

Somebody on this board wrote the other day Florida was going to sign him for (four) years.

Why the venom with me repeating that? If a guy is 'total trash' then why would another team give him a nice deal??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
It's quite simple. I don't see how anybody can call him a "piece of trash manager" when he led a CHICAGO team to a WS. When I see outlandish s*** like that, I feel like saying something in support of Oz. You can say he lost the team but he's not a piece of trash manager. I mean he's been in Chicago longer than most managers/coaches stay with their teams. Change is coming but if he was total trash Florida wouldn't be ready to sign him for four years.

Adam Dunn hit 40 homeruns with 101 rbi's and a .927 ops in 2005.

Jake Peavy was one of the best pitchers in baseball

Viciedo was 17

Alexei Ramirez was in Cuba

Sergio Santos was a shortstop somewhere

Matt Thornton and Gavin Floyd were failed 1st round picks

Ya, I see your point, nothing has changed since 05.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
Adam Dunn hit 40 homeruns with 101 rbi's and a .927 ops in 2005.

Jake Peavy was one of the best pitchers in baseball

Viciedo was 17

Alexei Ramirez was in Cuba

Sergio Santos was a shortstop somewhere

Matt Thornton and Gavin Floyd were failed 1st round picks

Ya, I see your point, nothing has changed since 05.

I wasn't an alcoholic in 2005.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)

If Adam Dunn was total trash the Sox wouldn't have signed him for four years. Oh wait...........................................................

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
Somebody on this board wrote the other day Florida was going to sign him for (four) years.

Why the venom with me repeating that? If a guy is 'total trash' then why would another team give him a nice deal??

Florida's manager is an 80 something year old. They'd take just about any established ML manager instead.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
If Adam Dunn was total trash the Sox wouldn't have signed him for four years. Oh wait...........................................................

Yes but Dunn was signed to a four-year deal coming off good seasons.

Florida is about to sign Ozzie coming off the most frustrating season of his career (considering the All-In bulls*** and expectations). So Florida thinks he is special obviously.

Obviously the Sox wouldn't sign Dunn right now if his contract was out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
That depends. if the Sox fire him, he is a FA. If Ozzie quits then we own his rights for that year.

I actually don't think this is true. If the Sox fire him...the Sox are still paying him for that year. That's the key point...the Sox own his managing rights as long as the Sox are paying him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 08:28 AM)
I actually don't think this is true. If the Sox fire him...the Sox are still paying him for that year. That's the key point...the Sox own his managing rights as long as the Sox are paying him.

It is true. If they fire him, they no longer own his rights.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
It is true. If they fire him, they no longer own his rights.

Then they wouldn't be paying him.

This is why, for example, Lou Pinella kept winding up in the broadcast booth after being fired. He couldn't coach unless he negotiated a buyout with his previous team.

Edit: here's exactly what happened with Pinella. The Rays wanted to let him go but they didn't want to pay him the full $4.4 million. Pinella wanted out but wanted to be able to manage again. As long as he was under contract with the Rays, he couldn't manage anywhere else, so the 2 sides arranged to a buyout, and if Pinella coached again the next year, then the Rays recouped a larger amount of money.

The buyout, one of the worst-kept secrets in baseball, was finalized two weeks ago and announced Friday.

It calls for Piniella to receive $2.2 million of the $4.4 million he was due next season, as well as $1.25 million in deferred salary from 2003.

If the 62-year-old manager accepts a job with another team, the Devil Rays could recoup some or all of the money owed for next season.

The Sox own Ozzie's rights unless Ozzie can negotiate them away.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
Edit: here's exactly what happened with Pinella. The Rays wanted to let him go but they didn't want to pay him the full $4.4 million. Pinella wanted out but wanted to be able to manage again. As long as he was under contract with the Rays, he couldn't manage anywhere else, so the 2 sides arranged to a buyout, and if Pinella coached again the next year, then the Rays recouped a larger amount of money.

The Sox own Ozzie's rights unless Ozzie can negotiate them away.

Pinella quit. He wasn't fired.

Gonzo.

Manager Ozzie Guillen hopes to find out his status with the White Sox before leaving for a trip to Spain with his wife two days after the conclusion of the regular season.

"I hope I do," Guillen said Tuesday. "If not, I know my switch will be off right away because I don’t want to spend time with my wife thinking about baseball and thinking about what is our future.

"The future? Only two gods know: Jerry (Reinsdorf's) God and the real God know what my future is going to be here. But as soon as I go home I leave, but when I come back we talk about it. But I hope my conversation, having dinner with my wife somewhere where I'm going to be is not about my future -- it’s having fun and forget about how crazy this summer was and this very sad summer, if you put it that way."

Guillen has one more year left on his contract, but he has publicly stated that he would like an extension so he's not entering 2012 as a lame-duck manager. He is expected to receive a lucrative offer from Florida if the Marlins are granted permission to talk to Guillen, who remains disappointed by the Sox's finish this season.

"I don't say embarrassing, but we don't get where we want to get," Guillen said. "It makes you wonder if you're that good. That makes you wonder if you're managing well, if my coaching staff did their job. It makes you wonder about a lot of things about a lot of things we went through spring training, April, May, if we did the right thing to go with six-man rotation, if we do right thing to keep (Adam) Dunn and (Alex) Rios in the lineup. All this stuff, if Carlos (Quentin) wasn't hurt.

"It’s so much tougher at the end of the day. It don't matter. If you you lose, you have a losing season. It don't matter. A lot of people have to look themselves in the mirror from the top to the bottom to see if we did right thing with this ballclub this year.

Guillen accepted his share of the blame.

"Yes, I'll take the blame because I don’t make an excuse for anything. They gave me a good ballclub and we didn't play well. The reason we don’t play well, that's people’s opinion. I think we don't play the way we should be playing, and I take blame with that."

Baseball insiders suggest White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf may "dig in his heels'' and force Ozzie Guillen to stay after Guillen's continuing public blathering about how it might be best for him to be fired and other such musings. But really, it might be best for all concerned to simply trade Guillen to the Marlins, as was briefly discussed a year ago. Those talks ended when the White Sox requested Logan Morrison. But as fortune would have it, Morrison is not exactly beloved these days by the Marlins. Morrison, who was already seen by Marlins management as a bit too opinionated, now has filed a grievance against the team for demoting him at a time he says he didn't deserve it based on his play.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...l#ixzz1YW7kjuot

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
Perhaps Mr. Reinsdorf can say to the Marlins "Sure, you can have Guillen, but you have to take Rios with him. They come as a set." That could be one creative way to remove that albatross of a contract.

"Congratulations Mr. Guillen on being named the 2012 White Sox manager."