Ozzie is leaving on a jetplane

southsider2k5

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He’s planning a trip to Spain with his wife two days after Chicago’s final game on Sept. 28 and was unsure if White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf will let him know on an extension before he leaves the country.

Guillen doesn’t want to be talking baseball once he’s on vacation.

“I don’t want to spend time with my wife thinking about baseball or thinking about my future,” he said. “I hope my conversation having dinner with my wife is about having fun and forgetting about this crazy summer and this very sad summer, if you put it that way.”

Chicago, expected to contend for the AL Central title, is finishing a disappointing season. The White Sox are in third place with a 74-78 record and were eliminated from the playoffs last week.

Guillen admitted the White Sox fell short of expectations.

“I don’t say (it was) embarrassing, but we didn’t get where we wanted to get,” Guillen said. “It makes you think, and it makes you wonder if you’re that good. It makes you wonder if you’re managing well and if my coaching staff did its job.”

Several key players, most notably Adam Dunn(notes) and Alex Rios(notes), have had poor seasons. Guillen’s decision to go with a six-man pitching rotation also has been questioned.

“At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter,” he said. “You had a losing season. That’s all that matters. A lot of people have to look at themselves in the mirror from the top to the bottom to see if we did the right thing with this ballclub this year.”

Guillen knows as manager he should be held accountable for what happened this season.

I will take the blame,” he said. “I don’t make any excuses for anything. They gave me a good ballclub, and we didn’t play well. We didn’t play the way we should be playing; I should be part of that.”

www.yahoo.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

He’s planning a trip to Spain with his wife two days after Chicago’s final game on Sept. 28 and was unsure if White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf will let him know on an extension before he leaves the country.

Guillen doesn’t want to be talking baseball once he’s on vacation.

“I don’t want to spend time with my wife thinking about baseball or thinking about my future,” he said. “I hope my conversation having dinner with my wife is about having fun and forgetting about this crazy summer and this very sad summer, if you put it that way.”

Chicago, expected to contend for the AL Central title, is finishing a disappointing season. The White Sox are in third place with a 74-78 record and were eliminated from the playoffs last week.

Guillen admitted the White Sox fell short of expectations.

“I don’t say (it was) embarrassing, but we didn’t get where we wanted to get,” Guillen said. “It makes you think, and it makes you wonder if you’re that good. It makes you wonder if you’re managing well and if my coaching staff did its job.”

Several key players, most notably Adam Dunn(notes) and Alex Rios(notes), have had poor seasons. Guillen’s decision to go with a six-man pitching rotation also has been questioned.

“At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter,” he said. “You had a losing season. That’s all that matters. A lot of people have to look at themselves in the mirror from the top to the bottom to see if we did the right thing with this ballclub this year.”

Guillen knows as manager he should be held accountable for what happened this season.

I will take the blame,” he said. “I don’t make any excuses for anything. They gave me a good ballclub, and we didn’t play well. We didn’t play the way we should be playing; I should be part of that.”

www.yahoo.com/sports

He's comin my way, I will force him to read some Soxtalk posts. :lolhitting :lolhitting

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
Given Ozzie's close relationship with JR and his referring to Reinsdorf as 'God' in the past I'm sure that's just Ozzie's broken english comming through.

That's how I read it.

The Tribune reports the quote as:

"The future? Only two gods know: Jerry (Reinsdorf's) God and the real God know what my future is going to be here."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,537263.story

"Reindorf's" was apparently the paper's addition, so Ozzie apparently said "Jerry God and the real God." There's a big difference between "Jerry God" and "Jerry's God." And it certainly makes sense to say that only two know -- JR and God.

Guillen is Catholic, is he not?

As much as many of us don't want Ozzie to be the manager next year, to deliberately misconstrue this particular quote is the right way to go about it.

Hey Caul, if he visited China would you hope he would be near you so you could track him down and give him a piece of your mind? :lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
Hey Caul, if he visited China would you hope he would be near you so you could track him down and give him a piece of your mind? :lolhitting :lolhitting

Surely it would be an enjoyable conversation. (A point for Greg's team on this one).

Probably zero baseball talk, and more discussion of politics and the common experiences of living in South America.

I wouldn't even bother to ask him a baseball-related question as his response would be as predictable as Rongey's.

I like the Skeptical tone Heyman strikes at the end here.

• Ozzie Guillen says he wants to know his status before he departs on a vacation to Spain with his wife. He already has a contract for next year with the White Sox, but apparently that isn't enough for the man whose team badly underachieved this year. It is getting to be obvious he is angling to go to the Marlins who for some reason want him.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...l#ixzz1Ycu9fDD1