Ozzie is leaving on a jetplane

southsider2k5

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 11:57 PM)
Well, you guys win.

Cowley writes that Jerry has picked KW and KW will be back.

KW doesn't want Oz so Oz is gonzo.

Read and celebrate

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/7643768-419...r-anything.html

That says he might be able to stay if he drops Cora, Cox, and Walker.

I'd replace them with Omar, Robin (3rd Base), and Frank, picking Frank because I can't think of anyone else.

And man, Cowley sounds depressed in that article. That makes it true for me if anything.

And while I want Ozzie gone...I really do wish it could have ended in harmony, or him staying. I might even not hate him being back if he dropped Cora, Cox, Walker. But it all fell apart when he didn't stop Oney.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 06:16 AM)

I'd replace them with Omar, Robin (3rd Base), and Frank, picking Frank because I can't think of anyone else.

And man, Cowley sounds depressed in that article. That makes it true for me if anything.

And while I want Ozzie gone...I really do wish it could have ended in harmony, or him staying. I might even not hate him being back if he dropped Cora, Cox, Walker. But it all fell apart when he didn't stop Oney.

Those are three great choices for coaches for the new skipper.

I liked the ending.

Well, you guys win.

Cowley writes that Jerry has picked KW and KW will be back.

KW doesn't want Oz so Oz is gonzo.

Read and celebrate

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/7643768-419...r-anything.html

Wow! If true....

1. Very very sad. Kenny Williams still here ? Since 2007 he's been the worst GM I have ever seen. I guess screwing up 15 out of your last 20 deals isn't enough to get fired when you work for Reinsdorf. Must have been that Phil Humber signing that saved his job.

2. If Ozzie is out then why don't they get a ballplayer from Florida for him? Any ballplayer is better than nothing.

3. After Ozzie and his sons are gone I figure it will take about 2 years for my headache to go away.

http://www.csnchicago.com/09/13/11/Ozzies-...tm_medium=email

Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen didn’t hesitate for a second when I asked him what his grade for the season was.

“My grade? Z, as in zero,” Guillen smiled. “I don’t think I did a good job. I told you that in spring training, when you asked, ‘Are you worried about your job if you lose,’ and I said no.”

After joking and amending his grade to “XXX—that’s the best rating” — Guillen made an admission.

“I don’t rate myself,” he said. “I let a lot of people down, including myself. I let myself down and I let my players down. I had a lot of confidence and I expected a lot better things from myself than I did. I expected my ballclub to play better, and [it not doing so] hurts.”

Guillen again reiterated that there is no job in baseball for him that is equal to the White Sox.

“I feel for the White Sox,” he said. “Maybe if I go someplace else, I just have a ‘job’ and I will just do my ‘job.’ But with the White Sox, it’s different. I grew up in this organization. If I managed somewhere else, I would have the responsibility to go in with the best intentions, and I’ll still win. But this is a different thing, a different feeling. Sometimes I stop and say ‘Nah, I won’t [talk about managing elsewhere] because I might kill Jerry [Reinsdorf’s] heart. I say a lot of things, but I love this organization. It’s always going to be in my heart. Will it always be on my mind? We’ll see.”

As long as he was handing out grades, Guillen mentioned that there could only be a few players he’d give an A or A+ to this season: Paul Konerko, Carlos Quentin, Sergio Santos and Chris Sale. He found fault with the starting rotation (“nobody even made it to 15 wins?”), bullpen (“early”) and, of course, the offense (“how about men on second and third base with less than two outs and we don’t score?”).

Rather curiously and in roundabout fashion, Guillen defended big-money disappointments like Adam Dunn and Alex Rios by clumping virtually the entire roster together as one big letdown.

“I don't think we executed well when we had to,” the jefe said. “We never had a big, big inning. We'd have bases loaded with one out and have an infield groundball and score one—that’s it. We don’t have those types of games like, ‘Wow.’ A lot of people talk about we pitched well. Yeah, we pitched good—because our offense was so bad, our pitching looked very good. It's difficult to point fingers here. I want people to point them at me.

“I'm not going to blame anybody because a lot of times [brent] Morel or the Missile [Alexei Ramirez], have come up with people on base and they didn't do it either. It's just not Dunn and Rios. If Dunn was making $200,000, nobody would care. If Rios was making $400,000, they don't care. That's the way it is.”

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
That works. I had just separated it that out because of the Cowardly article actually stating a decision had been made.

I actually didn't get that impression from the article... I mean I think the writing is on the wall, but that is not the same as their having been an actual decision made.

Couple of things.

The fact Guillen thinks he can work anywhere and get away with s*** he pulled here speaks volumes of either his ego or his ignorance.

Anyone that watches the Sox because of guillen is a moron. I am referring to the irrelevance crack from joltin joe The actual press the Sox receive from guillen's antics is not a positive thing.

I like guillen but am not certain he really cares to want to work for the job any longer.

“I'm not going to blame anybody because a lot of times [brent] Morel or the Missile [Alexei Ramirez], have come up with people on base and they didn't do it either. It's just not Dunn and Rios. If Dunn was making $200,000, nobody would care. If Rios was making $400,000, they don't care. That's the way it is.”

Im not going to blame anybody, but here are a few names of people who I blame a little bit

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
This scenario with Guillen reminds me of the firing of Mike Ditka. It was a world championship that led to underperforming teams and outbursts from the coach. As unpopular as it was to fire Ditka, it was just time to do it. That is where we are here with Guillen.

Many of us agree with the analogy. It works on so many levels.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 12:16 AM)

In my opinion, Oney has been his greatest downfall.

And if anyone deserves a chance to be the hitting coach, it should be the AAA hitting coach (Laker?).

I don't read anything into the article other than Ozzie is disappointed in the season. He should be and so should KW. Keep in mind that Ozzie has a 2012 contract with the Sox so nothing is for sure here. Obviously could happen and there might be a lot of changes. Just have to wait and see was really happens. Speculation leads to lots of new topic posts though. Keeps us going I guess as we wait for 2012 and hopefully a better outcome

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
If he wants to go to Florida and Florida wants him, its possible to arrange a buyout also

How could it get any worse and more depressing than this season. Good luck to him in Florida. How could a change here be bad for us? Sounds like a good mutual situation...

That said, I 100% guarantee JR will make him an extension offer -- which stinks for us