Ozzie is leaving on a jetplane

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)
That might just be worth it from our end. I'll wait for greg and elrockin's thoughts on this potential swap before I come to a conclusion. It is kinda risky from our point of view.

I don't think it's a good deal for the Sox. Who would leadoff if you play Stanton in RF and Viciedo in LF? Also, De Aza would never play because Rios has to play because he makes more money than the other outfielders.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
My only question is when does the team announce Ozzie isn't back for next season? After the World Series? Do they have a manager in mind?

If the decision has been made to fire Ozzie, I bet you money already has a list of candidates in front of JR, and he has talked to every one of them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
If the decision has been made to fire Ozzie, I bet you money already has a list of candidates in front of JR, and he has talked to every one of them.

I don't think they talked with anyone, that leaks out. I believe they have a list.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
I'll wait for greg and elrockin's thoughts on this potential swap before I come to a conclusion.

1. Why would we want to get rid of the only manager that brought us a world series title in 100 years? Sure, bring in some boring guy who will tell the reporters the same boring cliches while Ozzie will bring multiple titles to Florida.

2. Ozzie is still young and learning. Why should we send him away when his best years are ahead of him?

3. Maybe we should try to send them Adam Dunn and Alex Rios instead. Why would we want those garbage players and get rid of a former HOF caliber player and future HOF manager?

4. The only reason Ozzie is getting all of the blame is because he was a much better player than Kenny Williams and Kenny is just jealous.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
I don't think it's a good deal for the Sox. Who would leadoff if you play Stanton in RF and Viciedo in LF? Also, De Aza would never play because Rios has to play because he makes more money than the other outfielders.

Juan Pierre is not coming back???? :crying

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 07:13 PM)
1. Why would we want to get rid of the only manager that brought us a world series title in 100 years? Sure, bring in some boring guy who will tell the reporters the same boring cliches while Ozzie will bring multiple titles to Florida.

2. Ozzie is still young and learning. Why should we send him away when his best years are ahead of him?

3. Maybe we should try to send them Adam Dunn and Alex Rios instead. Why would we want those garbage players and get rid of a former HOF caliber player and future HOF manager?

4. The only reason Ozzie is getting all of the blame is because he was a much better player than Kenny Williams and Kenny is just jealous.

Why do you guys care what some internet poster (me) thinks about Ozzie?

You got your way. He's gone. I lose. My favorite Sox manager of all time and one of my favorite players is now Florida's manager. I will not root for Florida; I don't care that much. ozzie is a zillionaire. He will be fine compared to many of us who are not rich.

It's very sad that a White Sox through and through like Ozzie never will be welcome back in Chicago again. That's the risk when you hire a former player. Only this one directed the Sox to their only world championship in many many years.

Why would my position be in your mind so clearly you'd see the need to post that? It's not like I'm Romney or somebody famous.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
That might just be worth it from our end. I'll wait for greg and elrockin's thoughts on this potential swap before I come to a conclusion. It is kinda risky from our point of view.

Quentin is a proven winner. You don't just trade guys like that. You get rid of guys like Dunn and Rios.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
It's very sad that a White Sox through and through like Ozzie never will be welcome back in Chicago again. That's the risk when you hire a former player. Only this one directed the Sox to their only world championship in many many years.

That's 100% not true. Just because people want him fired now, doesn't mean they won't celebrate 2005 in the future.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
Why do you guys care what some internet poster (me) thinks about Ozzie?

You got your way. He's gone. I lose. My favorite Sox manager of all time and one of my favorite players is now Florida's manager. I will not root for Florida; I don't care that much. ozzie is a zillionaire. He will be fine compared to many of us who are not rich.

Why would my position be in your mind so clearly you'd see the need to post that? It's not like I'm Romney or somebody famous.

"Many" is a subjective term, really. The Earth is millions of years old, so 80something years is really not that many when you think about it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 07:27 PM)
That's 100% not true. Just because people want him fired now, doesn't mean they won't celebrate 2005 in the future.

There are hard feelings when you are fired. It's why the Royals have never given Frank White or George Brett the job in the past. They knew managers are hired to be fired and it never ends well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 07:37 PM)
The best thing to do in terms of popularity with Sox fans is to leave the Sox.

I still think you guys overstate how much he's hated.

My friend in Chicago, who once got FIRED from his job because he skipped work to attend a Sox playoff game and the boss told him "if you go to the game you are fired" says the people he works with and he himself like Ozzie still.

You guys act like he's getting booed out of the Cell every minute of every game like Dunn/Rios.

Just because this message board despises Ozzie doesn't mean MOST Sox fans do despise him.

I still think the guy is a likeable fellow. If he walks into a restaurant I'm sure smiles break out.

Why do you guys think this small community of fans is representative of all Soxdom?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
There are hard feelings when you are fired. It's why the Royals have never given Frank White or George Brett the job in the past. They knew managers are hired to be fired and it never ends well.

Well if Ozzie can't get past the hard feelings to come back, then that's his problem. The fans will be more than willing to accept him. Like you always say, he managed them to the only WS title in 90 years. People will always remember & appreciate that. They just don't want him in the dugout anymore.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
Well if Ozzie can't get past the hard feelings to come back, then that's his problem. The fans will be more than willing to accept him. Like you always say, he managed them to the only WS title in 90 years. People will always remember & appreciate that. They just don't want him in the dugout anymore.

Yeah, but "coming back" entails meeting with many of the people who got rid of you. As much as Ozzie hates Dunn and Rios and being the scapegoat for KW's mess, it's pretty apparent he wants to manage here for a long time to come.

He'll be back if the Marlins play the Sox and get one of those scoreboard tribute things.

Edited by greg775

Why wait till the end of the season? Just fire him now. Let the players each take a game to manage, hell, let Hermy manage one game, who cares at this point?

Seriously though, there shouldn't even be a gap between the end of the season and the Division Series. That pink slip should be delivered September 29th.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
Why wait till the end of the season? Just fire him now. Let the players each take a game to manage, hell, let Hermy manage one game, who cares at this point?

Seriously though, there shouldn't even be a gap between the end of the season and the Division Series. That pink slip should be delivered September 29th.

I fully agree.