Ozzie is leaving on a jetplane

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
I still think you guys overstate how much he's hated.

My friend in Chicago, who once got FIRED from his job because he skipped work to attend a Sox playoff game and the boss told him "if you go to the game you are fired" says the people he works with and he himself like Ozzie still.

You guys act like he's getting booed out of the Cell every minute of every game like Dunn/Rios.

Just because this message board despises Ozzie doesn't mean MOST Sox fans do despise him.

I still think the guy is a likeable fellow. If he walks into a restaurant I'm sure smiles break out.

Why do you guys think this small community of fans is representative of all Soxdom?

Actually, I heard people boo him constantly at games. People call into sports shows and only wish ill upon him. And one time, he walked into a restaurant I was at, at the other people there booed him so badly that the hostess refused to seat him.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
Yeah, but "coming back" entails meeting with many of the people who got rid of you. As much as Ozzie hates Dunn and Rios and being the scapegoat for KW's mess, it's pretty apparent he wants to manage here for a long time to come.

He'll be back if the Marlins play the Sox and get one of those scoreboard tribute things.

No no, you're mistaken. It was Ozzie's mess that KW attempted to fix. Again, you are forgetting that Ozzie was a terrible manager.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
And funny, loud, and in your face. The Sox could just hire George Carlin or Sam Kinison or Redd Foxx or Rodney Dangerfield.

None of those guys have been particularly funny, loud, or in anyone's face of late, unless you count worms. Then again, a stiff might have done a better job managing than Oz did this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
No that is wrong. The Sox still owe him the $2 million.

The Sox would still have his managerial rights for next year though even if he was fired, so if Florida wanted to hire him immediately they couldn't do so without the Sox getting something back for it. Usually a manager would waive at least part of that remaining money to get the team with his rights to let him manage.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
Why is that?

Ozzie has had a bad year no doubt, but so has pretty much eveyone on the team. I think the main problem is Ozzie likes a team he can manage, one with parts he can move around when needed. He likes being an active manager and I think he's very good at just that. I think he's right about having speed, defense and pitching. Kenny has a football mentality and likes to build power teams, go for the big kill. I think Ozzie is more of a baseball mind and Kenny a football mind. You can't muscle up and do better in baseball like you can in football. Trying harder may get the line to move or a block shed, but in baseball trying too hard doesn't mean success. I think the Sox need to build a baseball TEAM. Not try to fill the roster with all power arms and power hitters. Kenny has done well with "small" trades and signings. When he's gone for the big fish, it has usually not worked so well (David Wells, Bartolo Colon, Adam Dunn). Did we even have a .300 hitter on that 2005 team? I don't think we did, but that team pitched well, fielded well and had timely hitting. I think Ozzie realizes that is what is needed to win. I'm not sure Kenny does.

I have always been a fan of hitting, but the more I watch baseball, I'm starting to realize pitching, defense and baserunning are more inportant than home runs. I don't know why this team is so bad at fundamentals, but as Ozzie has said, players should not be learning fundamentals at the major leauge level. They should already know this.

QUOTE (SoIL @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
Ozzie has had a bad year no doubt, but so has pretty much eveyone on the team. I think the main problem is Ozzie likes a team he can manage, one with parts he can move around when needed. He likes being an active manager and I think he's very good at just that. I think he's right about having speed, defense and pitching. Kenny has a football mentality and likes to build power teams, go for the big kill. I think Ozzie is more of a baseball mind and Kenny a football mind. You can't muscle up and do better in baseball like you can in football. Trying harder may get the line to move or a block shed, but in baseball trying too hard doesn't mean success. I think the Sox need to build a baseball TEAM. Not try to fill the roster with all power arms and power hitters. Kenny has done well with "small" trades and signings. When he's gone for the big fish, it has usually not worked so well (David Wells, Bartolo Colon, Adam Dunn). Did we even have a .300 hitter on that 2005 team? I don't think we did, but that team pitched well, fielded well and had timely hitting. I think Ozzie realizes that is what is needed to win. I'm not sure Kenny does.

I have always been a fan of hitting, but the more I watch baseball, I'm starting to realize pitching, defense and baserunning are more inportant than home runs. I don't know why this team is so bad at fundamentals, but as Ozzie has said, players should not be learning fundamentals at the major leauge level. They should already know this.

Ugh, I just hate arguing with people with this mindset. You'll never change their minds. Ozzie is a National League manager trying to manage a National League team in the American League. You do need power hitting in the American League, no amount of talk will change that. A speedy guy or two is nice to have, but you need power and the ability to get on base the most. A guy with the combination of those two things is pretty much the ideal American League hitter. The 2005 team was the exception to the rule when it comes to hitting. They did just enough during the season and the playoffs to win with great pitching. You can't depend on that. It is something that comes along once in a blue moon. You're right that pitching is key, but you need an offense that can put up some serious numbers, too. People tend to forget that that 2005 team still hit 200 homers as a group, and that made up for the lack of production in other facets.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (SoIL @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)

Now that I'm not at work, I'll expand on this a bit. Before the 2005 season, Kenny asked, or Ozzie told him what kind of team he (Ozzie) wanted. A leadoff hitter who could get on and steal a base. Better defense and better pitching. Kenny did a great job of doing just that, and what was the result? Since then Kenny has tried to get a big power hitter and a big time starter almost every year, and we haven't been back to the Series since. Maybe it's coincidence, maybe we caught lighting in a bottle, but the 2005 formula did work. Ozzie didn't bring in the Colon's, Wells, Rios and Dunn's (although he may have had input). I thought these moves looked great at the time, but it hasn't worked. What I see is that someone, (Kenny, maybe Ozzie or our scouts) have not been paying attention. The big moves have not worked, the smaller ones for the most part have been successful. In retrospect, we should have kept many of our minor leaguers and let them develop. I hope that is what happens in the future. I'm less and less convinced that stocking up on prospects just to trade them away for the last "piece of the puzzle" is a good philosophy. Actually, I do think it is a bad strategy. I don't really care about Ozzie's outbursts, even if I do wish he had more of a filter. I do think he takes pressure off the team by drawing attention to himself. So again, give Ozzie some BASEBALL players and quit drafting the "best athlete" and draft some baseball players and the Sox should be successful.

QUOTE (SoIL @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
Now that I'm not at work, I'll expand on this a bit. Before the 2005 season, Kenny asked, or Ozzie told him what kind of team he (Ozzie) wanted. A leadoff hitter who could get on and steal a base. Better defense and better pitching. Kenny did a great job of doing just that, and what was the result? Since then Kenny has tried to get a big power hitter and a big time starter almost every year, and we haven't been back to the Series since. Maybe it's coincidence, maybe we caught lighting in a bottle, but the 2005 formula did work. Ozzie didn't bring in the Colon's, Wells, Rios and Dunn's (although he may have had input). I thought these moves looked great at the time, but it hasn't worked. What I see is that someone, (Kenny, maybe Ozzie or our scouts) have not been paying attention. The big moves have not worked, the smaller ones for the most part have been successful. In retrospect, we should have kept many of our minor leaguers and let them develop. I hope that is what happens in the future. I'm less and less convinced that stocking up on prospects just to trade them away for the last "piece of the puzzle" is a good philosophy. Actually, I do think it is a bad strategy. I don't really care about Ozzie's outbursts, even if I do wish he had more of a filter. I do think he takes pressure off the team by drawing attention to himself. So again, give Ozzie some BASEBALL players and quit drafting the "best athlete" and draft some baseball players and the Sox should be successful.

Contreras (taking on his contract, mostly) and Freddy Garcia weren't big moves?

The more you look back at 2005 (with how Pods/Iguchi/small ball have been overstated despite the 200+ homers)...the one thing that seems impossible to replicate ever again was the success and virtual lockdown quality of that bullpen.

Edited by caulfield12