Don't tease me...

Wanne

Don't tease me...

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...igh-his-options

CHICAGO – Hitting coach Greg Walker has said that he will once again use the early part of the offseason to decide whether or not he wants to return to the White Sox.

Walker did the same last season and ended up on agreeing to another one-year deal to return for the 2011 season.

Odds of him coming back would seem to be less this time around. Not only was it reported that Walker and general manager Kenny Williams had a heated argument just outside the clubhouse last month, there is also the uncertainty of the status of manager Ozzie Guillen.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the story about Kenny blowing up at him are true, I can't imagine him wanting to come back to the Sox (provided Kenny remains GM). I assume that is what he means by using the early part of the offseason to decide- to see if Williams remains.

I've left a job where I couldn't stand the environment only to take the same position for less money at a different company. I was much happier at the new place, and I'd do it again 100% of the time in a heartbeat.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
If the story about Kenny blowing up at him are true, I can't imagine him wanting to come back to the Sox (provided Kenny remains GM). I assume that is what he means by using the early part of the offseason to decide- to see if Williams remains.

I've left a job where I couldn't stand the environment only to take the same position for less money at a different company. I was much happier at the new place, and I'd do it again 100% of the time in a heartbeat.

Walker is done with baseball if he leaves the Sox, he's stated that numerous times. I'd be shocked he would want to come back.

"The thing that gets me, it's Greg Walker's fault because he's the hitting coach?" Guillen said. "But nobody says how much he helped (Paul) Konerko, how much he helped (Alexei) Ramirez. 'Why this guy hitting .260?'

"No, everything is about how bad (Adam) Dunn and (Alex) Rios and (Gordon) Beckham hit. He's got more hitters than that, but he doesn't get any credit for that. But that's why we coach. That's why we take the hit because everything goes wrong in baseball, football; they're blaming the coaches and the manager."

Ten days ago, Guillen confirmed Walker and general manager Ken Williams had a spat last month. Shortly before Guillen's confirmation, Walker wouldn't comment on the incident and said he would decide on his future after the season.

The status of Walker and the coaching staff could be another sticking point on whether Guillen elects to honor the final year of his contract despite expected changes in the wake of a third consecutive non-division title season.

Walker has fallen under more scrutiny because of the failures of Dunn (.162), Rios (.220) and Beckham (.230). But since taking over for the fired Gary Ward in May 2003, Walker has received praise from Konerko for his tutelage in the ascent as a hitter.

"He stands by his players and works hard," Guillen said. "There's one thing he should worry about, what his players are going to say about him. I think our hitters respect him and like him because he gives every minute this year from spring training to the last pitch to help those guys."

Llink

From Jim Margalus:

As Satchel Price at Beyond the Box Score noted, the White Sox have a problem with pop-ups. As a result, their batting average on balls in play suffer, because pop-ups don't translate into hits.

But this problem isn't unique to this season. When it comes to BABIP, the White Sox leased the American League cellar with an option to buy:

2011: Last

2010: 11th

2009: Last

2008: Last

2007: Last

Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski are the only constants from five years ago. Everybody else has come and gone, and it doesn't matter whether hitters have had some pop-up issues in the past (Swisher, Carlos Quentin) or not (Dunn, Rios) -- the players seem to fall right in line.

This doesn't all fall on Walker's shoulders. Player evaluation likely plays a big part, and the Sox barked up the wrong tree when they prioritized reducing strikeouts to solve batting-average problems. Here's a fun fact -- even with Dunn on the roster, the Sox have struck out fewer than any AL team outside of the Texas Rangers. The rub is that they doubled down on weak contact in the process.

But there's gotta be something besides the talent. The Sox have had four of the worst everyday hitters in the American League, and there were considerable expectations for three of them. The number of death-spiral crises over the past three years has created a funk that seeps into the fabric of the organization, and it isn't coming out in the wash.

The only thing the Sox haven't tried is a change in the hitting staff. The current hitting coach and scouts were in their respective positions in 2007, and despite the number of hitters who have come and gone, the fundamental weaknesses remain.

Yes, I know changing Walker and his crew doesn't guarantee improvement. That has been the standard defense every time his job security comes into question, and while reactionary decisions seldom bear fruit, this particular friction has persisted long enough to wear a hole through this argument. There's a far better case to be made that consistency has turned into complacency, and when a problem hangs around long enough to be considered "constant," then the constants have to become variables.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
Reading Jim's article makes you believe he must be a psychologist. There is just so much any coach or manager can do. But, we all know there will be changes a coming this off season. Deserved or not there will be scapegoats and changes made

When Jerry Manuel was fired, was he a "scapegoat" as well? Or did he deserve it? Does any manager that ever gets fired actually deserve it in your eyes, or are they all just scapegoats because no manager can be that big of a difference maker?

If you can't even admit that Ozzie fully deserves to be fired at this point, and not just that he's a scapegoat, I truly believe that you are nothing more than a fanboy of his.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
Yeah, he really helped Paul Konerko alright. He watched him go through a couple off horrendous half-season long slumps until he "figured it out." What a genius that Walker is.

Are you talking about 2003? When he was recovering from a broken foot that he played through down the stretch in 2002?

Because yeah...Paul Konerko is Greg Walker's biggest success story by far, and there is little you can say to diminish that. Konerko might well be the smartest hitter in baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
Are you talking about 2003? When he was recovering from a broken foot that he played through down the stretch in 2002?

Because yeah...Paul Konerko is Greg Walker's biggest success story by far, and there is little you can say to diminish that. Konerko might well be the smartest hitter in baseball.

So what you're saying is if we give Walker another seven years or so with Beckham, Rios and Dunn he may turn them around as well. Awesome.

Paul Konerko learned a lot from his extended slumps and has become a smart hitter but I credit Paulie more for his own success. A better hitting coach may have helped him learn a little faster and helped to shorten those months long slumps to maybe week long slumps. Walker has not produced adequate results with many of the hitters he's had like Beckham, Swisher, Rios, Dunn, Betemit, etc. And under his tenure, the team's hitting approach overall has been poor.