Fix This Pitching Staff Or Else . . .

Marty34

If this pitching staff does not get retooled this offseason with every possible resource available the White Sox will be in a lot of trouble going forward. Every tradable asset needs to go in order to fortify the staff for next year and beyond. If our pitching isn't at defcon 1 right now, it soon will be if action isn't taken.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A rotation of Mark, Humber, Zach, Sale and Floyd probably would be a lot like this year. Some great starts. Some implosions. If Sale somehow is Verlander, however, a true overpowering ace, potentially it could be a good rotation.

The risk is Humber and Zack return to suckiness. Then it would be a horrid staff barring utter Sale dominance.

Our bullpen is still shaky. I agree on paper it is phenomenal. But the reality is it's shaky.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
The stress of not having an offense for almost 2 years is taking its toll.

When every inning of every game is high stress, something usually will give.

So...

What you're saying is....

Losing is a disease. As contagious as syphilis or bubonic plague.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 11:54 PM)
Floyd's ERA was over 4.5 not too long ago, so it's actually come down if it's now in the 4.3s.

Why is it that you apparently think the pitching staff needs more of an overhaul than the position players?

The position players are for the most part locked in. They are either young enough to deserve more time or have contracts that will keep them here. Like I said in another thread, the Sox are are a little over one year away from having a rotation of Sale, Floyd, Humber, Stewart. Scary.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
The position players are for the most part locked in. They are either young enough to deserve more time or have contracts that will keep them here. Like I said in another thread, the Sox are are a little over one year away from having a rotation of Sale, Floyd, Humber, Stewart. Scary.

So I take it you want to deal pitching for younger/cheaper pitching?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
That's fine. But you do realize whatever pitching we potentially could acquire for any of the guys you want dealt would not be major-league ready, right? We're not getting a Drew Pomeranz, Matt Moore or Julio Teheran.

I suspect you're right, but I don't know what they could get in return. With young pitching you have to have numbers at the very least and that's something the Sox don't have.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
That's fine. But you do realize whatever pitching we potentially could acquire for any of the guys you want dealt would not be major-league ready, right? We're not getting a Drew Pomeranz, Matt Moore or Julio Teheran.

I think targeting guys in A-ball is exactly what the Sox need to do. They don't have a whole lot of position openings next year, because they have guys who have performed at some positions and guys who are way overpaid at others.

Stock the low levels. Teams are much more willing to part with high ceiling guys if they're down in A ball. They're more likely to implode, but one success can make a franchise for 10 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
I think targeting guys in A-ball is exactly what the Sox need to do. They don't have a whole lot of position openings next year, because they have guys who have performed at some positions and guys who are way overpaid at others.

Stock the low levels. Teams are much more willing to part with high ceiling guys if they're down in A ball. They're more likely to implode, but one success can make a franchise for 10 years.

Can Sale be a #1 starter in a couple of years? If so maybe they don't have to go after as many of the highest ceiling guys. I have a sneaking suspicion that the A's will put Gonzalez on the market which would further diminish Danks value.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
Can Sale be a #1 starter in a couple of years? If so maybe they don't have to go after as many of the highest ceiling guys. I have a sneaking suspicion that the A's will put Gonzalez on the market which would further diminish Danks value.

Depends on a lot of things.

IMO, he has #1 starter stuff. He's got Liriano pre-injury stuff. Can he stay healthy, and can he throw enough strikes with his secondary stuff, to become a true legit "#1"? I dunno.

But with the contracts this team has...and with the lack of anyone obviously better in the minors...we need to try.