Fix This Pitching Staff Or Else . . .

Marty34

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
Has he said anything about wanting to be back recently?

Depends on your definition of recently. How's July?

But Buehrle would like to return.

“Yeah, everybody knows that,’’ Buehrle said. “I’m open to playing, but they [sox management] have to deal with the business part of baseball, and they have young guys they want to start. I don’t know where the money is split between guys and who they’re going to go after in free agency and trades. I’m not stressing out about it.’’

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 03:27 AM)
If this pitching staff does not get retooled this offseason with every possible resource available the White Sox will be in a lot of trouble going forward. Every tradable asset needs to go in order to fortify the staff for next year and beyond. If our pitching isn't at defcon 1 right now, it soon will be if action isn't taken.

So now it's the pitching staff?

I think it's incredibly easy after a disappointing season to see the wheels falling off in all directions. Really, the difference between a 75 game winner and a 90 game winner is sometimes 1-2 players.

I'm confident the lineup and staff have enough major pieces to be effective next year, provided they perform, provided that we have new leadership, and provided we obtain some better complimentary pieces.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 07:00 PM)
That's how bad things are for this organization. A byproduct of Williams' gambles. All of a sudden, you look up and say "wow, that pitching staff is on course to be a mess."

We sure had the living stuffins beat out of us by Detroit in the last two meetings and of course got swept in the last series, but overall I don't think it's really the pitching staff as a whole to blame. Are you doing a knee jerk reaction because of the last two beat downs or the fact both Buerhle and Danks seemed to have crashed? Maybe that 6 man rotation was a good thing?

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
I'm confident the lineup and staff have enough major pieces to be effective next year, provided they perform, provided that we have new leadership, and provided we obtain some better complimentary pieces.

I dunno...I think that the complimentary pieces we have aren't half bad. AJ and Flowers have provided acceptable offense from the catcher's spot, the bullpen has been good to very good for most of the season and would look better if Juan pierre could catch, De Aza has looked like a solid complimentary piece...Alexei appears really good as a "Complimentary" bat...

In terms of complimentary pieces...the thing we really need is for Morel and Beckham to develop. Morel's showing signs this month, and he was a rookie this year so I was giving him more of a pass the whole time. If we could get OPS numbers in the .700's from them, then I'd say that every "Complimentary piece" on this team was performing.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 08:03 PM)
I think it's incredibly easy after a disappointing season to see the wheels falling off in all directions. Really, the difference between a 75 game winner and a 90 game winner is sometimes 1-2 players.

If only there were stats/metrics to determine how many wins a player could add?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
That's how bad things are for this organization. A byproduct of Williams' gambles. All of a sudden, you look up and say "wow, that pitching staff is on course to be a mess."

Well, Hudson for Jackson was a short-sighted move if I've ever seen one.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
We sure had the living stuffins beat out of us by Detroit in the last two meetings and of course got swept in the last series, but overall I don't think it's really the pitching staff as a whole to blame. Are you doing a knee jerk reaction because of the last two beat downs or the fact both Buerhle and Danks seemed to have crashed? Maybe that 6 man rotation was a good thing?

I just think this pitching staff as presently constituted has run its course. It's not an elite staff. In hindsight it was a staff put together predicated on Peavy being a #1 guy. When that didn't happen the rest of the group just wasn't good enough to pick up the slack.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
I just think this pitching staff as presently constituted has run its course. It's not an elite staff. In hindsight it was a staff put together predicated on Peavy being a #1 guy. When that didn't happen the rest of the group just wasn't good enough to pick up the slack.

It's not an elite staff, but that doesn't change the fact that it was an above average staff.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)

lol. Worried about the pitching in 2015, versus worried about the offense in 2012. Hmm...

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)

I kinda agree with what you're saying as long as you're not expecting a quick-fix. Like Balta said, you're probably looking at guys in low A/High A with risk but a ton of upside. So either way, you're going to have a lot of question marks in the rotation next year and in 2013. You'll just have a better long-term inventory.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
I kinda agree with what you're saying as long as you're not expecting a quick-fix. Like Balta said, you're probably looking at guys in low A/High A with risk but a ton of upside. So either way, you're going to have a lot of question marks in the rotation next year and in 2013. You'll just have a better long-term inventory.

Cooper is here, every pitcher should be good, right?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
In terms of what needs to be fixed with this team, it is twisted to think that the pitching years down the road is anywhere near the top of the list right now.

It is at the top of the list if you want to compete for a World Series in 3-4 years. If you want to muddle around .500 again next year, you are right.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)

Right. It should have been done last offseason, this is their last best opportunity to fix it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
It is at the top of the list if you want to compete for a World Series in 3-4 years. If you want to muddle around .500 again next year, you are right.

If you are focused on 3-4 years down the road, you are still going to be more worried about the offense.