Dunn is Done.

Quin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 04:40 AM)
True, but I look forward to reading them 156,798 times until next April

Don't worry ... a month after the season is over the only Sox stories we'll be reading will be the ones about how Dunn is going to bounce back nicely (unless of course, there is a firing of Oz/KW/both). That will be the story of the offseason. His resurgence.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
Don't worry ... a month after the season is over the only Sox stories we'll be reading will be the ones about how Dunn is going to bounce back nicely (unless of course, there is a firing of Oz/KW/both). That will be the story of the offseason. His resurgence.

Seriously though, it'd be like me saying "Ozzie is Ozful. GET IT?! HAHAHA."

Just think about it. Dunn could be a legitimate candidate for CBPOTY next year if he even hits, say, .240 with 20 HRs and 80 RBIs. That's how bad he's been.

Another odd thought, if Dunn magically learns how to hit for contact, he could feasibly double his BA with a career year next year. I mean, it will never happen. But if you think of another struggling player, like Beckham, he'd have to hit .460 to double his. Not feasible, not even for Ty Cobb. And if you even take what many would consider the next worse season in baseball history, Rob Deere's 1991 season, you'd have to hit .358 to double that, something which has only been done ten times in this century. So not really feasible either. But Dunn would only have to hit .324! In 2007, 15 people did that, including the non-superstar likes of Chone Figgins and Mike Lowell.

Not saying Dunn is ever going to hit .324. Hell, the way he swings these days, I wouldn't place money on .200. I'm just saying that an average double what his is isn't really uncommon at all.

Dunn sucks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)

My favorite:

Dunn is hitting off a tee

:lolhitting

GMAFB

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 12:48 AM)
Just think about it. Dunn could be a legitimate candidate for CBPOTY next year if he even hits, say, .240 with 20 HRs and 80 RBIs. That's how bad he's been.

Another odd thought, if Dunn magically learns how to hit for contact, he could feasibly double his BA with a career year next year. I mean, it will never happen. But if you think of another struggling player, like Beckham, he'd have to hit .460 to double his. Not feasible, not even for Ty Cobb. And if you even take what many would consider the next worse season in baseball history, Rob Deere's 1991 season, you'd have to hit .358 to double that, something which has only been done ten times in this century. So not really feasible either. But Dunn would only have to hit .324! In 2007, 15 people did that, including the non-superstar likes of Chone Figgins and Mike Lowell.

Not saying Dunn is ever going to hit .324. Hell, the way he swings these days, I wouldn't place money on .200. I'm just saying that an average double what his is isn't really uncommon at all.

Dunn sucks.

CBPOTY is easily within grasp. In fact, if he is still on a mlb roster next September, he should be a lock.

I'm guessing we're going to here about some strange injury/disease/ailment that he is recovering from.

Dunn's performance (or lack thereof) has been analyzed by just about everyone here, and we've seen just about every possible reason. But I have to think something is wrong with the guy, either physically or mentally. It's not like he's slowly been going downhill the past few seasons. His BA dropped about 80 points (I estimating...I didn't look it up), and he has zero power. It could be the appendectomy, but you'd think he would have recovered a long time ago. My guess is that it's something mental.

I'm not going to be one of the posters saying "just wait, he'll be fine next year". I hope so, but it seems hopeless now.

Greg's right about the off season, though. We're going to hear tons of stuff about how hard Dunn is working, how he's getting in shape, how he's determined to have an awesome year. The question is will he come back? I don't know what would be more strange: Him never getting it back or him recovering dramatically and hitting .250 with 40 HRs next year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
Maybe it's glaucoma. We should trade back for Edwin Jackson, didn't he have the stuff to help that condition out?

I wonder if his agent is reluctant to allow Sox doctors to check him because of a worse case scenario like that.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 06:13 AM)
Dunn's performance (or lack thereof) has been analyzed by just about everyone here, and we've seen just about every possible reason. But I have to think something is wrong with the guy, either physically or mentally. It's not like he's slowly been going downhill the past few seasons. His BA dropped about 80 points (I estimating...I didn't look it up), and he has zero power. It could be the appendectomy, but you'd think he would have recovered a long time ago. My guess is that it's something mental.

I'm not going to be one of the posters saying "just wait, he'll be fine next year". I hope so, but it seems hopeless now.

Greg's right about the off season, though. We're going to hear tons of stuff about how hard Dunn is working, how he's getting in shape, how he's determined to have an awesome year. The question is will he come back? I don't know what would be more strange: Him never getting it back or him recovering dramatically and hitting .250 with 40 HRs next year.

If he was hurt, he would be on the DL. He would have been a long time ago if they had any reason to do so.

It has to be mental.

Its certainly not his eyes. He and the rest of the Sox get those checked. He's just not ready to hit most of the time. You just hope its mental, because if its because his body as irreversably slowed down, and he can't get to average fastballs anymore, JR made a larger donation than Alex and Ursula Snelious ever would.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
If he was hurt, he would be on the DL. He would have been a long time ago if they had any reason to do so.

It has to be mental.

There can be more to "physical problems" than injuries. I don't have any reason to think he's in worse shape this year than previous years but I can't rule it out. I also can't rule out that he had some help of a chemical sort while in Washington (yes, it's unfair...start hitting and prove me wrong)

The fact that Dunn never picked up a bat in the offseason I think speaks volumes. Maybe getting away for a little while is good, but who is to say if he did some offseason baseball work he might have been a .280 guy with a.420 OBP and hit 50 homers a year? His offseason routine, which I don't know if the White Sox had any inkling of before they signed him, shows, at least to me, the guy was satisfied with what he was and really didn't either care or wasn't willing to put more work in to be better. That's a red flag. So if they did know......................

Also didn't the Sox initially go after Victor Martinez?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 08:19 AM)
The fact that Dunn never picked up a bat in the offseason I think speaks volumes. Maybe getting away for a little while is good, but who is to say if he did some offseason baseball work he might have been a .280 guy with a.420 OBP and hit 50 homers a year? His offseason routine, which I don't know if the White Sox had any inkling of before they signed him, shows, at least to me, the guy was satisfied with what he was and really didn't either care or wasn't willing to put more work in to be better. That's a red flag. So if they did know......................

How do you explain the last ten seasons when he had the exact same offseason routine?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 08:19 AM)

Also didn't the Sox initially go after Victor Martinez?

Dunn was their guy from the get go IIRC.

Just found this. The consolation prize wasn't good.

Victor Martinez is leaving the Red Sox for the Detroit Tigers, having accepted a four-year deal worth $50 million.

The story was broken out of Venezuela this morning by Ignacio Serrano of El Nacional.

Serrano reported that Martinez was offered four years and $48 million from the Orioles and three years and $48 million from the White Sox. Why he would take $12.5 million a year from Detroit and pass up $16 million a year from Chicago isn't clea

I'd guess the reason he didn't take the Sox cash is there probably were some stipulations or deferred money or some other things.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 08:13 AM)
There can be more to "physical problems" than injuries. I don't have any reason to think he's in worse shape this year than previous years but I can't rule it out. I also can't rule out that he had some help of a chemical sort while in Washington (yes, it's unfair...start hitting and prove me wrong)

Fat is not really a DLable condition in MLB.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
How do you explain the last ten seasons when he had the exact same offseason routine?

Sean Casey was on the radio last week saying that as you get older, you do have to adjust your routine. It's not shocking, but he basically guaranteed that his good buddy Dunn would be altering his routine.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
Sean Casey was on the radio last week saying that as you get older, you do have to adjust your routine. It's not shocking, but he basically guaranteed that his good buddy Dunn would be altering his routine.

It's also entirely possible that he changed up his routine some between moving to another city and being without a contract for a couple months. Maybe he took October and November completely off from everything so that he wouldn't pull a muscle prior to signing a contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)
Fat is not really a DLable condition in MLB.

They could put him on the DL for being fat but use some fancy jargon that no one would question.

Glandular Swellitus

Puffy Abdomen

Sparetireitis

Homer Simpson Syndrome

Toomuchbaconandbeer Condition

Swollen Stomach

Porcine Syndrome

Corpulentitis

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)

If Dunn doesn't change his routine this upcoming offseason, then that's a huge problem. I just don't think his previous routine necessarily reflects his work ethic. I believe the same thing happened to Buehrle. He barely threw in the offseason, had an off year where he struggled a bit, and changed up his offseason program.