101-year-old Detroit woman evicted in foreclosure

Texsox

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)
Again, at what age do you get to not have to pay your mortgage, and who exactly is supposed to pay for it?

You didn't answer my question. Is it a problem if a 101 year old woman is foreclosed on and evicted her home?

My answer to your question would be..."is there a cognitive issue involved? Because that makes everything messy regardless of age."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
Is it a problem if a 101 year old woman is foreclosed on and evicted from her home?

If she isn't paying what she owes and hasn't been paying what she owes for years and the bank has followed that state's foreclosure laws in getting to that point, then no, that isn't a problem.

Let me put this to you a different way. I would be willing to wager that the vast majority of foreclosures are the result of sad circumstances (lost job, family with lots of kids, elderly people, unforeseen health problem, etc.). If you tell banks "you cannot foreclose when sad circumstances are involved" what incentive is there for (1) people to pay their mortgages and (2) for banks to make loans?

Now, if your argument is that more resources should be allocated to low cost housing for people in sad circumstances, I can get behind that. But what you are arguing is an extremely slippery slope.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
You didn't answer my question. Is it a problem if a 101 year old woman is foreclosed on and evicted her home?

My answer to your question would be..."is there a cognitive issue involved? Because that makes everything messy regardless of age."

Not when she and/or her caregivers are given years and years and multiple opportunities to fix the problem BEFORE being evicted.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
Not when she and/or her caregivers are given years and years and multiple opportunities to fix the problem BEFORE being evicted.

At least someone gave an honest answer.

Now the follow up question...what happens to her after the eviction? She's clearly not in a position to support herself and the legal caregivers for her have indicated a clear unwillingness to support her.

Just send her to a nursing home and let Medicaid cover it?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)

Let's assume that this 101 year old woman no longer had the ability to manage her own finances and this situation is no fault of her own.

Why should she suffer? Is protecting creditors' rights to collect debt more important than not evicting 101 year olds?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)

Now the follow up question...what happens to her after the eviction? She's clearly not in a position to support herself and the legal caregivers for her have indicated a clear unwillingness to support her.

Well, being a conservative, clearly my answer is to let her die on the streets. Can't pay for your house. DEATH SENTENCE.

Didn't the story say she moved in across the street? I'm sure she's being provided for by us in some capacity.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
Well, being a conservative, clearly my answer is to let her die on the streets. Can't pay for your house. DEATH SENTENCE.

Didn't the story say she moved in across the street? I'm sure she's being provided for by us in some capacity.

Let's hypothetically say she had nowhere else to go. What should happen to her?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
Let's assume that this 101 year old woman no longer had the ability to manage her own finances and this situation is no fault of her own.

Why should she suffer? Is protecting creditors' rights to collect debt more important than not evicting 101 year olds?

Why do you get to create random hypotheticals to fit your argument?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)

Exactly where I was trying to drag you.

By having the bank put her out of her house, she basically becomes a ward of the taxpayers. Or best case scenario, she survives based on someone else's charity, probably with the assistance of the taxpayer.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)

Where is the line you intend to draw? If you can't foreclose on a 101 year old, why should you be able to foreclose on a family with young children where the parents' lost their jobs?

If you do not protect creditors' rights to collect a debt, then what incentive is there for a creditor to make a loan in the first place?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
Exactly where I was trying to drag you.

By having the bank put her out of her house, she basically becomes a ward of the taxpayers. Or best case scenario, she survives based on someone else's charity, probably with the assistance of the taxpayer.

So really you should be fine with this result because she's being taken care of by the government and NOT some greedy slimy corporation?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
As a society, what should we value more? Ensuring that debt is always paid to creditors, damn the consequences or ensuring that 101 year old women don't get evicted from their home.

There is a really good chance that the bank had no idea that a 101 year old woman lived there. I'm pretty sure they also aren't allowed to ask.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
As a society, what should we value more? Ensuring that debt is always paid to creditors, damn the consequences or ensuring that 101 year old women don't get evicted from their home.

The issue is if you create this loophole, it isn't going to be just one woman.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
There is a really good chance that the bank had no idea that a 101 year old woman lived there. I'm pretty sure they also aren't allowed to ask.

That's correct. Unless you want to re-write the FDCPA and allow debt collectors to show up at your home, how the hell is the bank supposed to know the sob story surrounding each delinquent account they try to collect on?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
To explore the moral implications of positions followed through to their conclusions? That's a pretty standard method of evaluating ideas.

So the only morals we need question is whether kicking an old lady to the curb is acceptable, not if people default on their promises and people lose out on opportunities because of it?

As always, the Great Society will step in to save people like this old women. That doesn't mean we get to ignore the rights of the bank in this situation just because it's a s***ty one.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
So really you should be fine with this result because she's being taken care of by the government and NOT some greedy slimy corporation?

No...I'd expect you guys to have a problem with it because she's being taken care of by the taxpayer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)

Would it be OK for them to deny her a mortgage for this same reasons, such as cognitive issues or age? To me those answers have to be the same. If they have to take on extra risk, they deserve extra protection.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)

lol. If the bank is following the laws, they are fine.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
That's correct. Unless you want to re-write the FDCPA and allow debt collectors to show up at your home, how the hell is the bank supposed to know the sob story surrounding each delinquent account they try to collect on?

And there you go. The "hypothetical" being presented here are all illegal activities. The bank could be sued for discrimination for bringing her age into this.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
lol. If the bank is following the laws, they are fine.

And if she's out on the street and starves to death, or if she's costing the taxpayer $150k a year in a nursing home somewhere (Totally guessing price...probably actually more?)...hey, the bank is fine.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
And there you go. The "hypothetical" being presented here are all illegal activities. The bank could be sued for discrimination for bringing her age into this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
And if she's out on the street and starves to death, or if she's costing the taxpayer $150k a year in a nursing home somewhere (Totally guessing price...probably actually more?)...hey, the bank is fine.