Cooper and/or Ozzie status could affect MB coming back next year

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
People don't have a problem with Williams signing him because of his track record, but want the track record ignored in July. Ridiculous.

You'd have a point if everybody had been advocating benching him in late April. s***, most everybody thought it was just a matter of time before he came out of it. Then May goes by. He gets worse. Then June goes by. He get more worse. Then July goes by. He gets worser (I know that's not a word). Then August comes and the guy is hitting CLEANUP! Yes, that's ALL on Ozzie.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's your perception. Just like it was your perception that, despite only being here a couple weeks, that everybody was picking on Ozzie before you were emphatically proven incorrect. Playing Lillibridge did not guarantee a trip to the playoffs (I can't believe I just typed that). Neither did calling up Viciedo/De Aza. Letting those guys play gave you a better chance to win baseball games. How many? We will never know. Ozzie made certain of that.

If Dunn was alone the problem.. then you have a point. But to say Lilly plays for Dunn.. And poof, everything works out.. Is silly talk.

Cause people are forgetting

Morel, Beckham And Rios are all having far from MLB season at the dish... If they have MLB type seasons, we can move Dunn down, if not out of the lineup.. But they were not... Why??? Cause Ozzie made them suck?... How?

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
If Dunn was alone the problem.. then you have a point. But to say Lilly plays for Dunn.. And poof, everything works out.. Is silly talk.

Who is saying that? For the 8945798th time, we are saying play your best available players and see what happens. After 4 months of hitting in the .150s and striking out at a record pace, it was clear Adam Dunn was no longer in the conversation when discussing 'best available players'.

Edited by BigSqwert

Who is saying that? For the 8945798th time, we are saying play your best available players and see what happens. After 4 months of hitting in the .150s and striking out at a record pace, it was clear Adam Dunn, Alex Rios, Bacon, and Brett Morel was no longer in the conversation when discussing 'best available players'.

And who replaces all of them?

Edited by VictoryMC98

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
Then who replaces Lilly, as the UTL man to spill the regulars... And produce as Lilly had all season.

Who gives a f***? Isn't it more important that you get the worst hitter in MLB out of the daily starting lineup? Especially when said hitter is also batting cleanup every day? First step is getting rid of the lineup cancer. The highly paid manager would then need to get creative with his utility players and spot start candidates.

Who gives a f***? Isn't it more important that you get the worst hitter in MLB out of the daily starting lineup? Especially when said hitter is also batting cleanup every day? First step is getting rid of the lineup cancer. The highly paid manager would then need to get creative with his utility players and spot start candidates.

So you don't have an answer... Shocking.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
Then who replaces Lilly, as the UTL man to spill the regulars... And produce as Lilly had all season.

There are plenty of options. Heck at worst you can still have Lilli work in as UTL (on days he isn't DHing) and have others play DH, or even limit Dunn to a game or two a week for the best match ups. The line up with PK at DH and Lilli at 1st worked well. In July we still had Teahen on the roster to play the corner OFs. In August we had De Aza. Both of them are options as well. Hell Omar Vizquel could have even gotten sometime if need be. Even his OPS is almost identical to Dunns, so you would have gotten identical offense, while playing a non-offensive position.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
So you don't have an answer... Shocking.

So in your eyes, addressing a handful of ABs per week for a utility player is more important than addressing a miserably failing cleanup hitter who bats every single day. I see you and Ozzie have similar priorities. No wonder you have posters of him in your bedroom.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
So in your eyes, addressing a handful of ABs per week for a utility player is more important than addressing a miserably failing cleanup hitter who bats every single day. I see you and Ozzie have similar priorities. No wonder you have posters of him in your bedroom.

Come on, you know you have Ozzie Guillen posters in your room... Granted they have stab marks and "MUST DIE" written in black marker across them...

You do realize this is a 162 game season, players get burned out.. So you are willing to loose those games, just so your UTL player can get some Abs.. You never played the game have you?

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
You do realize this is a 162 game season, players get burned out.. So you are willing to loose those games, just so your UTL player can get some Abs.. You never played the game have you?

Starting to think this guy is a member of the Guillen family

There are plenty of options. Heck at worst you can still have Lilli work in as UTL (on days he isn't DHing) and have others play DH, or even limit Dunn to a game or two a week for the best match ups. The line up with PK at DH and Lilli at 1st worked well. In July we still had Teahen on the roster to play the corner OFs. In August we had De Aza. Both of them are options as well. Hell Omar Vizquel could have even gotten sometime if need be. Even his OPS is almost identical to Dunns, so you would have gotten identical offense, while playing a non-offensive position.

You do realize, this isn't PS3 baseball this is real time baseball.. And these things matter right? You are taking a small sample size and stating that it would work.. I don't think it will at all. I think Lilly is where he will be for the duration of his MLB playing time, baring and rebuilding team.. as a UTL player.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)

Again, if you take August as an example, Brent would have had to have gone 0-36, or more, just to match Dunn's batting average. That still leaves out the extra 5 homers and 12 RBIs he had. I think to match his OPS he would have literally had to go something like 0-125. In other words, Brent could have had to literally done nothing the entire month in the extra ABs he would have gotten and he still wouldn't have been worse than Dunn statistically on offense. That is still totally ignoring that Brent Lillibridge is at worst an average defender, and a plus defender in the OF, if he had played those positions while someone like Juan Pierre, Carlos Quentin, or PK DH'd for a day.

Those are real statistics, unlike your pie in the sky hyperbolic misdirects you keep throwing out there.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
You do realize, this isn't PS3 baseball this is real time baseball.. And these things matter right? You are taking a small sample size and stating that it would work.. I don't think it will at all. I think Lilly is where he will be for the duration of his MLB playing time, baring and rebuilding team.. as a UTL player.

What about a 4 month sample size that showed Adam Dunn was the worst hitter in baseball? Why are you constantly ignoring that fact? Not only was he godawful but he was playing every single day for 4 months straight, in the cleanup position. Somehow this fact isn't important to you, your father Ozzie, and your brother Oney. Continuing to march him out there day in and day out was of utmost importance for some reason as he continued to either strikeout or pop out.

Again, if you take August as an example, Brent would have had to have gone 0-36, or more, just to match Dunn's batting average. That still leaves out the extra 5 homers and 12 RBIs he had. I think to match his OPS he would have literally had to go something like 0-125. In other words, Brent could have had to literally done nothing the entire month in the extra ABs he would have gotten and he still wouldn't have been worse than Dunn statistically on offense. That is still totally ignoring that Brent Lillibridge is at worst an average defender, and a plus defender in the OF, if he had played those positions while someone like Juan Pierre, Carlos Quentin, or PK DH'd for a day.

Those are real statistics, unlike your pie in the sky hyperbolic misdirects you keep throwing out there.

huh?

You go from confusing to off the wall nuts with this one.

A small sample size isn't the best idea to take on for a large argument.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)

Way to ignore what really happened for your fantasy land. You keep talking about "proof" and instead floating off to your HyperboleLand condo. I laid out statistical reality for you, and you still are ignoring it. Just like this entire thread has been.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
What about a 4 month sample size that showed Adam Dunn was the worst hitter in baseball? Why are you constantly ignoring that fact? Not only was he godawful but he was playing every single day for 4 months straight, in the cleanup position. Somehow this fact isn't important to you, your father Ozzie, and your brother Oney. Continuing to march him out there day in and day out was of utmost importance for some reason as he continued to either strikeout or pop out.

Look here, Swert - this is all I have to say to you - Using the logic of playing rookies to see their contributions for the remainder of the season is like thinking Dunn or Rios will magically appear also. So it's six of one and seven of the other

Take that.