Yu Darvish

chisoxfan09

If Yu Darvish decides to come to MLB next year would it be a possibility that the Yankees go after him? He has excellent peripherals with a career 2.12 ERA, a 3.28 K/BB ratio, and 974 strikeouts in 1036.1 innings for the Nippon Ham Fighters. He's best known to North American fans from his terrific performance at the 2009 World Baseball Classic that helped lead Japan to the title.

Didn't post this in the Pale Hose forum since I think there is less than a 0% chance we would ever think of going after him.

Most recent news on web I could find: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/...ter-yu-darvish/

Thoughts?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
I would be surprised if the Yankees and Red Sox go after him after how their last dips into Japan's pitching pool have gone.

While that makes sense, I can't see the situation where neither of those teams would not be interested. Especially the Yanks with their patchwork rotation.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 07:15 PM)
While that makes sense, I can't see the situation where neither of those teams would not be interested. Especially the Yanks with their patchwork rotation.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were interested, but yeah...the $50 million posting fee...won't be happening.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 12:51 AM)
No Japanese pitcher ever lasts long, at least doing well. The only one that I can think of, and I'm pretty sure he's quite the stretch, is Hideo Nomo. Without looking up stats, I think he had one good year in each league and both of those years were his first in that league.

It all has to deal with the insane number of pitches they throw growing up in the Japanese leagues, as well as the fact that a lot of them rely on deception.

Not sure about the Yankees. But NO WAY in hell Boston will be in on this. Forget about DM. After Lackey and now Crawford, I think they're mega-spending ways are on hold for now.

Don't forget A-Gone, I don't know when Pedoria and Youklis need new deals.. and Elsbury is going to start getting pricey.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
Don't forget A-Gone, I don't know when Pedoria and Youklis need new deals.. and Elsbury is going to start getting pricey.

When I referenced Lackey and Crawford, I did so because both signings looks down-right ridiculous at the moment and could hamper the club for years. I can't imagine they'd be up for dabbling in a high-risk guy like Darvish.

David Ortiz, JD Drew, and Mike Cameron's contracts come off the books for them this offseason. They're currently at $166 million this year and their commits for next year are $122 million to 11 guys. They have a $6 million team option on Scutaro and a $3 million option on Dan Wheeler, in addition to a number of pre-arb guys, so push that to $138 million to cover those guys.

They still have maybe $25 million to play with this offseason to get back to the salary for this year.

Youkilis is a FA at the end of 2013 (with a 2013 option), 2012 ends and they get rid of Matsuzaka and Jenks as well. Pedroia is locked up through 2014. They could use a 3b to push Youkilis to DH/1b next year if they get rid of Ortiz, in addition to pitching and a corner OF. But they're going to have money to spend each of the next 2 offseasons.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 07:27 PM)
i think that Daisuke may have ruined the posting fee madness for the time being. Daisuke was supposed to revolutionize the pitching world with his world famous gyroball. didnt happen

Is he a free agent? If that is the case, a posting fee does not have to be paid.

I think he'd have to retire from the entire league in order for there to not be a fee.

Unfortunately a CBA cannot include international contract negotiations when obtaining talent from other leagues can it? The Japanese league is the only one I know of that we have to compensate. The Mexican league is considered a AAA league for MLB. How strange is that.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
Unfortunately a CBA cannot include international contract negotiations when obtaining talent from other leagues can it? The Japanese league is the only one I know of that we have to compensate. The Mexican league is considered a AAA league for MLB. How strange is that.

No one signs a contract to play in the Mexican league. Japanese players are often under contract in Japan. Those contracts are what you're buying out.