Morel last 28 days slash - .253/.366 /.532 /.897

macsandz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 07:39 PM)
Nice. Per his usual pattern, he adjusts and excels at every level. He's like a different player lately. His approach has been brilliant.

My guess is he finally reached the point where he realized he and the team had nothing to lose, and let go of his defensive approach and just decided to start trying to hit the ball hard. All season long he was trying to go the other way with everything, which basically sapped most of his power.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
Don't you agree that his splits are more encouraging than discouraging?

I've been encouraged by him the whole season, since about May 7 when he started making consistent contact. I might well have been his biggest defender when people were riding him in June/July for his lack of slugging and walks.

There's no reason why 15 HR is beyond the pale for him. We'll see.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
I've been encouraged by him the whole season, since about May 7 when he started making consistent contact. I might well have been his biggest defender when people were riding him in June/July for his lack of slugging and walks.

There's no reason why 15 HR is beyond the pale for him. We'll see.

Oh, your initial remark made it seem as though you might have been dubious of his potential.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
Oh, your initial remark made it seem as though you might have been dubious of his potential.

I'm dubious that he'll hit 12 HR if he puts together a solid season, considering that a bad season has involved 8 HR. A really good season from him, based on this year's numbers, might be in the 20 HR range.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
I'm dubious that he'll hit 12 HR if he puts together a solid season, considering that a bad season has involved 8 HR. A really good season from him, based on this year's numbers, might be in the 20 HR range.

I think you're right, for the record. I just think that with the recent success, there's thankfully more ways to get to a good offensive season than just 15+ long balls.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
I think you're right, for the record. I just think that with the recent success, there's thankfully more ways to get to a good offensive season than just 15+ long balls.

One thing that really impressed me when I saw him at AA was that he wasn't just driving the ball...he doubled the ball off the RF wall at least once, maybe twice, during that double-header. He can pull together power to all fields.

It could be argued that in fact that now we're out of it, and most people assume this coaching staff will no longer be here next year, that guys like Morel are just trying stuff on their own and not bothering to listen to Walk any longer.

Of course this is pure speculation, however, I think it's certainly possible. Finally Morel is turning and burning, something we haven't seen all year until the last 3 weeks. Coincidence?