Morel last 28 days slash - .253/.366 /.532 /.897

macsandz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 05:28 AM)
Morel in September 2011 7 HR, 17 RBI, 13 BB, .279 BA, .405 OBP, .689 Slg, 1.094 OPS, 12 K Everything but BA easily surpasses his high for any other month indicating a definite change of approach .

Jesus, 1.094???? How does he rank among all players in OPS for the month?

Incredibly plain headlines....

"Sox like Morel's power surge."

Anyway...I think Ozzie is discounting Morel's strength here, but he's half right in that Morel is a much better hitter to all fields.

"I thought this kid (Morel) was not going to hit for power at all," Guillen said Thursday. "I think he was going to hit two home runs when the season was over. But is he going to have power like Crede? I doubt it."

Morel, who has nine home runs, hit a season-best 16 for Class-A Winston-Salem in 2009.

"(But) Crede was a monster," Guillen said. "He had natural power. (Morel) might have a chance to be a better hitter. But I don't think he's going to be a power hitter."

Guillen cited Morel's ability to hit to all fields as a trait that could make him a better hitter than Crede, but he added Crede was a clutch hitter.

Guillen carefully didn't compare Morel as a fielder to Crede and former Gold Glove Award winner Robin Ventura.

"But (Morel) will make the plays," Guillen said. "I think he's going to be a better player because he runs better than both. And he has a better chance to be a good hitter because he can show you he can hit balls all over the place."

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 06:34 AM)
Absolutely not. Only if a hitter fails is it proper to give Walker "credit". Now if Morel was a pitcher and pitching in Sept. like he has been hitting, you know it would be because of the fabulous work of one Mr. Don Cooper.

If Walker gets the credit for Morel's September performance he must also take the blame for Morel's poor performance for the first five months. Did Morel figure it out on his own or did it take Walker such a long time to help his struggling hitter? I don't know. What about Beckham? Dunn? Rios?

Can someone remind Brent Morel that he only had 2 HR this season before Sept 3rd?

AB/HR Prior to Sept 3rd: 168 AB/HR

AB/HR After Sept 3rd: 7.3 AB/HR

He has 8 HR in the past 21 days. I have no idea what has gotten in to him. Either he had something click like Jose Bautista, or he is roided out, or he just stopped caring and is swinging for the fences.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
Can someone remind Brent Morel that he only had 2 HR this season before Sept 3rd?

He has 8 HR in the past 21 days. I have no idea what has gotten in to him. Either he had something click like Jose Bautista, or he is roided out, or he just stopped caring and is swinging for the fences.

Yes, I think its pretty clear he decided to take steroids in September

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)

He is finally swinging hard. That much is obvious.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 23, 2011 -> 09:59 PM)
If Walker gets the credit for Morel's September performance he must also take the blame for Morel's poor performance for the first five months. Did Morel figure it out on his own or did it take Walker such a long time to help his struggling hitter? I don't know. What about Beckham? Dunn? Rios?

Fail and succeed. How can anyone win that one?

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
Have we discounted the theory that he's abandoned Walker's talking to him and just decided to do something on his own (maybe thinking there is no way Walk will be back next year anyhow?)

He's finally turning and burning, that's a good thing. He was a sally the first 5 months however...

Or maybe he refused to listen to Walker for the 1st 5 months and just suddenly decided to follow Walker's advice in September?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
Or maybe he refused to listen to Walker for the 1st 5 months and just suddenly decided to follow Walker's advice in September?

I don't think Morel is a guy who we should give credit OR fault to Walker for, since he's doing basically what he did at each level before now. Nothing is different, really. The change is surprising in it's extremity, but it was still somewhat predictable.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)

I'd be open to that however given Walker's less than stellar record one would have to at least assume the other. Of course there is no way to truly know if Walker is at fault, however, no doubt changes need to be made in this area with the hopes we can turn around some guys.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
He is finally swinging hard. That much is obvious.

More specifically, he's looking to pull the ball. You could watch the kid learn the whole year. learned how to put the bat on the ball in April and May, started learning to take pitches as the year went on, started learning to pull the ball in August and you're getting the results now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
I don't think Morel is a guy who we should give credit OR fault to Walker for, since he's doing basically what he did at each level before now. Nothing is different, really. The change is surprising in it's extremity, but it was still somewhat predictable.

Ding ding ding. This post has been repeated over and over yet is still being ignored. This is what Morel has shown that he does.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)

Which is why when he had 1 HR just a few weeks back and everyone was whining about him I predicted he'd finish with 5. He's far surpassed that. I probably could have got pretty good odds on him finishing with 5 +.