Sox best hitter endorses Walker

SoIL

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
Konerko is one hitter. And, he's the one hitter who in 2011 hit comparably to his norms/expectations (average-wise he was actually higher, though power-wise he was down a bit).

This is both an indictment of Walker, and something to give hope for 2012 with a different hitting coach, but think about this for a second... of the Sox starting lineup hitters on Opening Day: Pierre, Rios, Quentin, Morel*, Ramirez, Beckham, Konerko, AJP, Dunn... which of them actually performed at the level of their career norms or base expectations at a minimum? Konerko, maybe Quentin. Six bombed out, and not just a little below averages in most cases, but a lot worse. Morel we can leave out of the discussion - a rookie who took 5 months to develop, but then did, as per his usual pattern.

When your offense underperforms that badly (and most of them did in 2010 too, BTW) for that long, it is time to make a change. One hitter cannot be used to sacrifice 8 others.

Morel is a rookie, Pierre is doing what he always does, Ramirez, AJP what they always do. There are 3 White Sox underperforming offensively, Dunn, Rios and Beckham. Even though the AL league ERA is 4.06, no Cooper bashing for Floyd and Danks being below average.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
Outside of Fans... Has any player stated that Walker didn't help him, after they left..

ANd for the record, I think Hitting coaches are overrated... So I am not a fan nor hater of walker.

Aaron Rowand, and has any hitter ever bashed him for ruining them and costing them millions of dollars?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
Morel is a rookie, Pierre is doing what he always does, Ramirez, AJP what they always do. There are 3 White Sox underperforming offensively, Dunn, Rios and Beckham. Even though the AL league ERA is 4.06, no Cooper bashing for Floyd and Danks being below average.

You can always start a thread about Cooper.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
IIRC he insinuated he was a bit of a wimp.

Perhaps he should insinuate those things about some of his current teammates and even Ozzie (sucking off the Twins every year and not going after pitchers after we've been beaned).

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 07:48 AM)
Perhaps he should insinuate those things about some of his current teammates and even Ozzie (sucking off the Twins every year and not going after pitchers after we've been beaned).

I'm surprised he didn't last night. That was as pissed as you will ever see PK.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
Whoa wait. What happened last night?

CSNChi_Beatnik Brett Ballantini

Herm strolling out to see PK after HBP, without urgency

ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla

Konerko calling that HBP a bleeping joke. Still hot at first base.

scottmerkin Scott Merkin

Konerko about as angry as you are going to see him after taking Putnam's pitch off the left hip. Still kicking angrily at the dirt at first

CST_soxvan Daryl Van Schouwen

Konerko as hot as I've seen him after getting hit near hip... Reading lips, "Bleeping joke!" was his reax

Apparently you are no longer allowed to hit Paul Konerko with a pitch.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)

Herm strolling out to see PK after HBP, without urgency

ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla

Konerko calling that HBP a bleeping joke. Still hot at first base.

scottmerkin Scott Merkin

Konerko about as angry as you are going to see him after taking Putnam's pitch off the left hip. Still kicking angrily at the dirt at first

CST_soxvan Daryl Van Schouwen

Konerko as hot as I've seen him after getting hit near hip... Reading lips, "Bleeping joke!" was his reax

Apparently you are no longer allowed to hit Paul Konerko with a pitch.

:lolhitting

An angry Paul Konerko would either hit 50 HR or 10 HR.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
Oh wow I missed that.

Yeah, I'm sure after taking that awful one in the calf last month (I was there) he's getting pretty damn tired of being hit by pitches.

I may be completely wrong, or dreaming, or nuts, or all three, and many more things, but doesn't Paulie have some sort of degenerative hip condition? Maybe he's just overly sensitive in that area.

Pre-edit edit: Decided to google first. My brain rocks... some s*** article from 1998. Things seem to have worked out alright for the White Sox. Ignore the hip s***, but still interesting to read something from so long ago.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-11...-vice-president

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
I may be completely wrong, or dreaming, or nuts, or all three, and many more things, but doesn't Paulie have some sort of degenerative hip condition? Maybe he's just overly sensitive in that area.

Pre-edit edit: Decided to google first. My brain rocks... some s*** article from 1998. Things seem to have worked out alright for the White Sox. Ignore the hip s***, but still interesting to read something from so long ago.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-11...-vice-president

The hips problems came up again in 2003 or 2004 I want to say. I know it affected him here at one point.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 07:48 AM)

Maybe he doesn't feel that way about his current teammates or manager Squirt. Anyway, when the best hitter on the team endorses the hitting coach it is something that has to be taken into account when deciding whether or not to retain Walker. I'm sure chairman Reinsdorf is listening.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
Maybe he doesn't feel that way about his current teammates or manager Squirt. Anyway, when the best hitter on the team endorses the hitting coach it is something that has to be taken into account when deciding whether or not to retain Walker. I'm sure chairman Reinsdorf is listening.

I seriously doubt it. Walker is so gone that it isn't even debatable.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
Unless you have some inside information, I think that statement is highly debatable. Everything I know suggests Walker is extremely well liked and respected by the White Sox front office. He may not return, but its not close to a done deal.

I think the front office also likes winning and ticket sales.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Unless you have some inside information, I think that statement is highly debatable. Everything I know suggests Walker is extremely well liked and respected by the White Sox front office. He may not return, but its not close to a done deal.

It really isn't. It's common sense at this point. But I don't have inside information, so you'll argue it until the very end.