Sox best hitter endorses Walker

SoIL

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
It really isn't. It's common sense at this point. But I don't have inside information, so you'll argue it until the very end.

I don't know. It would have seemed like common sense last year.

I'm beginning to think the one that really needs to go is Mr. Reinsdorf.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
Maybe he doesn't feel that way about his current teammates or manager Squirt. Anyway, when the best hitter on the team endorses the hitting coach it is something that has to be taken into account when deciding whether or not to retain Walker. I'm sure chairman Reinsdorf is listening.

LOL, what he is endorsing? He is saying kind things taken out of an interview about a coach he has worked with and called a friend for years? Paul Konerko doesnt need to learn jack s*** from Greg Walker.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
Totally, like how he is exactly performing how he did in the minors for years before he even worked with Walker once. Totally.

What are you talking about? Don't even compare the minors to the majors. You have no idea what Walker's role has been in Morel's turnaround.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
LOL, what he is endorsing? He is saying kind things taken out of an interview about a coach he has worked with and called a friend for years? Paul Konerko doesnt need to learn jack s*** from Greg Walker.

Look, if Konerko wants him back that says a lot.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
What are you talking about? Don't even compare the minors to the majors. You have no idea what Walker's role has been in Morel's turnaround.

Turnaround from what? He's shown his entire professional career that he struggles and then adapts, his numbers this season has completely followed the pattern.

And yes, I know first hand that Walk has been and is ignored by several veteran hitters. If you want to put a feather in his cap for Morel, how about taking it out and stomping it to the ground with Gordon Beckham.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
Look, if Konerko wants him back that says a lot.

No, it just says that he helped Konerko. He may not be the right hitting coach for the other hitters on the team.

Didn't Frank Thomas have a personal hitting coach that he used that didn't work for anyone else?

Konerko's opinion means s***. This has been the third worst offense in the AL all season long. The situational hitting (mainly runner(s) in scoring position and less than two outs) has been deplorable. This team flat did nothing well offensively this year. How does the hitting coach assume no blame? Ship his ass out.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
Coop gets a good amount of praise because his predecessor was abysmal.

You can not complain about the staff results as a whole under Cooper especially compared to Walker.

Yet Buerhle had just as much if not more success under Nardi Contreras. I don't see where Adam Dunn is Walker's fault but Billy Koch wouldn't be Cooper's.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
Yet Buerhle had just as much if not more success under Nardi Contreras.

I kind of asked this in the other thread, but I'll ask it here too... Who is Greg Walkers Esteban Loiaza that he plucked from a minor league deal to the all-star game? Who is his Phil Humber that he picked up off of waivers that he turned into a solid starting hitter in his first year here after failing at all other stops? Who is his Gavin Floyd that he turned around from awful and down on himself into an everyday player with solid numbers? Who is his Sergio Santos that he literally taught how to hit from nothing?

The whole silliness of why doesn't Cooper catch grief when a pitcher does bad is because he as a history of doing some amazing things. Greg Walker doesnt' have nearly that history.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
I kind of asked this in the other thread, but I'll ask it here too... Who is Greg Walkers Esteban Loiaza that he plucked from a minor league deal to the all-star game? Who is his Phil Humber that he picked up off of waivers that he turned into a solid starting hitter in his first year here after failing at all other stops? Who is his Gavin Floyd that he turned around from awful and down on himself into an everyday player with solid numbers? Who is his Sergio Santos that he literally taught how to hit from nothing?

The whole silliness of why doesn't Cooper catch grief when a pitcher does bad is because he as a history of doing some amazing things. Greg Walker doesnt' have nearly that history.

KW doesn't acquire those players offensively, but Carlos Quentin was a guy who probably was the MVP in 2008 if he doesn't get hurt. He made Aaron Rowand a ton of money. When he took over in 2003 Paulie was hitting like Adam Dunn without the whiffs, and as long as you're talking one year wonders, Uribe was much better offensively in 2003 with the Sox than he was with Colorado in 2002.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:13 PM)
KW doesn't acquire those players offensively, but Carlos Quentin was a guy who probably was the MVP in 2008 if he doesn't get hurt. He made Aaron Rowand a ton of money. When he took over in 2003 Paulie was hitting like Adam Dunn without the whiffs.

CQ's problem was/is always been injuries. I don't think Walker deserves a whole lot of credit for '08. If he does, he deserves blame for how mediocre/inconsistent he's been the last three years.

But that's only maybe 3 names.

If someone wants to claim Morel or Lillibridge as great successes...you're welcome to assert that.

We haven't even mentioned the likes of Matt Thornton, Jose Contreras, Jon Garland, Jenks, etc.

Quentin was one of the DBacks' top prospects at one point.

He wasn't to the level of a D'Angelo Jimenez or Julio Ramirez who was simply another busted prospect. And the thing is Walker couldn't take credit for building on that success or Quentin improving he staying at a level comparable to 2008. He regressed.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:13 PM)
KW doesn't acquire those players offensively, but Carlos Quentin was a guy who probably was the MVP in 2008 if he doesn't get hurt. He made Aaron Rowand a ton of money. When he took over in 2003 Paulie was hitting like Adam Dunn without the whiffs, and as long as you're talking one year wonders, Uribe was much better offensively in 2003 with the Sox than he was with Colorado in 2002.

Konerko had the one bad year when Walker took over. As I said in teh other thread, PK had already had a .300 season, a 30 homer season, and a 100 RBi season at that point.

Rowand's best season was in Philly, right before FA. Uribe had the great year his first year here, and then desended by over .200 OPS before rebounding in SF.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:24 PM)
But that's only maybe 3 names.

If someone wants to claim Morel or Lillibridge as great successes...you're welcome to assert that.

We haven't even mentioned the likes of Matt Thornton, Jose Contreras, Jon Garland, Jenks, etc.

Quentin was one of the DBacks' top prospects at one point.

He wasn't to the level of a D'Angelo Jimenez or Julio Ramirez who was simply another busted prospect. And the thing is Walker couldn't take credit for building on that success or Quentin improving he staying at a level comparable to 2008. He regressed.

Weren't Humber, Floyd, Thornton, Jenks and Garland top prospects at one point? The Yankees gave Contreras $32 million, he had to be pretty good, considering Alexei got $4 million and now everyone is saying he is hitting exactly what was projected. Floyd has regressed since 2008, Jenks regressed, Garland regressed, Loaisa regressed, Contreras regressed, what's the point? Thornton is Cooper's masterpiece, without a doubt. The one guy he fixed who actually stayed fixed.