Sox best hitter endorses Walker

SoIL

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
Clearly it was Brandon McCarthy and Joe Crede who led us to the 2005 post-season, not Contreras.

I was thinkin' Damaso Marte. Funny thing is, DA, along with Shack, were probably the two biggest Jose supporters on the board while he was here. Now DA is doing everything in his power to discredit Contreras (to make Cooper look worse) and in turn build up the resume of his fake god Walker. I've never encountered a fan that wanted to be a martyr for a hitting coach.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
I was thinkin' Damaso Marte. Funny thing is, DA, along with Shack, were probably the two biggest Jose supporters on the board while he was here. Now DA is doing everything in his power to discredit Contreras (to make Cooper look worse) and in turn build up the resume of his fake god Walker. I've never encountered a fan that wanted to be a martyr for a hitting coach.

I'm not discrediting Contreras at all. What is funny is how trashed Jose Contreras was on this board for years, and now he's a feather in Don Cooper's cap.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
I'm not discrediting Contreras at all. What is funny is how trashed Jose Contreras was on this board for years, and now he's a feather in Don Cooper's cap.

Because Jose Contreras snapped off one of the best 25-30 game runs anyone has seen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
Because Jose Contreras snapped off one of the best 25-30 game runs anyone has seen.

I was Contreras' biggest backer on this board. You don't have to give me a history lesson, but if its all Cooper, what about all the other games Contreras pitched for the White Sox? Why weren't the magical musings of Don Cooper working then?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)

Exactly. And the fact he never did much of anything of note after the break of '06 is of no consequence to me. If you told me in early 2004 that Jose Contreras was going to spearhead one of the most dominant pitching staffs of the last quarter century to a WS title, I'd be kinda cool with that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
You said he started 3 series so there is no way anything Greg Walker has done that could top that. His prized project was a bigger reason for the title and you know it.

lol. I don't think so. Konerko > Jose? You're huffin' paint. You NEVER would be spewing this nonsense 3-4 years ago. You're so desperate to justify Walker as a legitimate hitting coach that you'll resort to anything. "Jose lost the lone postseason game in '05." If that's not desperation then I don't know what is.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
Funny a current player's endorsement isn't valued as much as a job interview with another team. /ducking :D

It's not special to most people because you EXPECT a player to say nice things about his coaches, especially a classy guy like Konerko. If Walker were the consensus worst coach in professional sports, you'd still get the occasional fluff piece from a player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
I was Contreras' biggest backer on this board. You don't have to give me a history lesson, but if its all Cooper, what about all the other games Contreras pitched for the White Sox? Why weren't the magical musings of Don Cooper working then?

Mainly, IMO, because that's the only stretch he was healthy for.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)

Again, the standard for reclamation projects vs big money FA signings or first-round draft picks are not the same. They're not meant to last. This is what me and Shack got into. Shack claimed that "they're are more ways to skin a cat" then to scout, draft and develop. And he's right. My beef is that if that's your only means of surviving, you're in trouble. Because that's a dangerous game to play long-term. That should be a supplemental way of staying afloat. Not the only way. This organization's biggest failure without question is the blatant inability to produce from within.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
Again, the standard for reclamation projects vs big money FA signings or first-round draft picks are not the same. They're not meant to last. This is what me and Shack got into. Shack claimed that "they're are more ways to skin a cat" then to scout, draft and develop. And he's right. My beef is that if that's your only means of surviving, you're in trouble. Because that's a dangerous game to play long-term. That should be a supplemental way of staying afloat. Not the only way. This organization's biggest failure without question is the blatant inability to produce from within.

Contreras was given a rather lucrative extension. He also struggled when he came over and struggled a bit at the beginning of 2005 enough that a lot of Soxtalk wanted him traded for AJ Burnett which would have been a disaster.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)
Contreras was given a rather lucrative extension. He also struggled when he came over and struggled a bit at the beginning of 2005 enough that a lot of Soxtalk wanted him traded for AJ Burnett which would have been a disaster.

Then blame KW for that. Not Cooper. Cooper did his part. Just like with Thornton. Thornton to many now is overpaid. But that's based off of the pure domination that he was from '06 through last year. You keep referencing Gavin Floyd and his god-awful 4.50 ERA or whatever it is. What have the Phillies gotten from Freddy Garcia since the trade? What did Floyd provide for a more than reasonable cost from '08 through '10? Again, projects aren't the same. It's like going to Little Ceasers and expecting the same quality as you would from a much more mainstream establishment like Giordanos or even Pizza Hut.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
Then blame KW for that. Not Cooper. Cooper did his part. Just like with Thornton. Thornton to many now is overpaid. But that's based off of the pure domination that he was from '06 through last year. You keep referencing Gavin Floyd and his god-awful 4.50 ERA or whatever it is. What have the Phillies gotten from Freddy Garcia since the trade? What did Floyd provide for a more than reasonable cost from '08 through '10? Again, projects aren't the same. It's like going to Little Ceasers and expecting the same quality as you would from a much more mainstream establishment like Giordanos or even Pizza Hut.

Don't ever blame Cooper for anything, and make sure Walker is blamed for everything with hitters. That must be part of the White Sox fan oath. I'm just saying look at them equally. I'm not calling for Cooper's head. All I'm saying is if it were a hitter and you would say the problem is Walker, you should then say the same about pitchers and Cooper.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
It's like going to Little Ceasers and expecting the same quality as you would from a much more mainstream establishment like Giordanos or even Pizza Hut.

It's phrases like this, that make me want to start SoxTalk Radio.

I am curious DA, when Walker inevitably is let go this offseason, what are you going to attribute it to? You obviously do not feel his performance in his position is worth letting him go, so will it be due to outside pressure(ie. internet, fans, media)?

And try to answer that question without bringing up another coach.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
I am curious DA, when Walker inevitably is let go this offseason, what are you going to attribute it to? You obviously do not feel his performance in his position is worth letting him go, so will it be due to outside pressure(ie. internet, fans, media)?

And try to answer that question without bringing up another coach.

Guys get replaced. I really don't think he wants to be here anymore. Plenty of people in baseball and all over life are "let go". It doesn't necessarily mean they are bad at their jobs. You probably know someone personally or even yourself who has been let go from a job. Does it mean they were among the worst employees at their company?

If the Sox thought Walker was as bad as the average Soxtalk poster thinks, he would have not been brought back a long time ago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 06:31 PM)
Guys get replaced. I really don't think he wants to be here anymore. Plenty of people in baseball and all over life are "let go". It doesn't necessarily mean they are bad at their jobs. You probably know someone personally or even yourself who has been let go from a job. Does it mean they were among the worst employees at their company?

If the Sox thought Walker was as bad as the average Soxtalk poster thinks, he would have not been brought back a long time ago.

Usually, yes it does. Bad attendance issues, poor performance, bad client relationships. We arent talking about a guy getting laid off by a company that is downsizing, we are talking about a coach that is not being retained.

And as we already learned, KW did not want him, a few times. And Jerry flipped it on him

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
It's not special to most people because you EXPECT a player to say nice things about his coaches, especially a classy guy like Konerko. If Walker were the consensus worst coach in professional sports, you'd still get the occasional fluff piece from a player.

Good point. So we can dismiss what players say about the coaches, I'm all for that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
Usually, yes it does. Bad attendance issues, poor performance, bad client relationships. We arent talking about a guy getting laid off by a company that is downsizing, we are talking about a coach that is not being retained.

And as we already learned, KW did not want him, a few times. And Jerry flipped it on him

Joe Torre was fired a couple of times and he's going into the HOF as a manager. He's only had one issue with Kenny and that was a few weeks ago. Kenny fired him just like Kenny fired Ozzie last year. He gets mad at a subordinate because he was called out for being unprofessional. He didn't "fire" him because he thinks he a bad hitting coach.