Alejandro De Aza continues to play very steady ball

chisoxfan09

Is he a possible corner outfield option to replace Pierre? He has some pop and can run (10/15 SB's). If he improives this small sample size he could be a base running threat. I haven't seen a De Aza thread so thought I would create one in anticipation of 2012 and that his effort going forward has mase him worthy to mention. He is hitting his prime years and maybe has really turned it around. His stat line for this year is quite good with BA/OBP/OPS. Small sample size since his call up.

YEARTEAM G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS GO/AO

2007 FLA 45 144 14 33 45 8 2 0 8 6 1 37 2 0 .229 .261 .313 .574 0.93

2009 FLA 22 20 6 5 6 1 0 0 3 5 0 5 0 0 .250 .385 .300 .685 1.40

2010 CWS 19 30 7 9 12 3 0 0 2 1 0 4 2 1 .300 .323 .400 .723 1.25

2011 CWS 45 125 24 40 67 9 3 4 19 12 0 27 10 5 .320 .380 .536 .916 2.05

Mods, please merge thread if one exists.

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is that sad? If he is capable, then let him.

I almost wanted to pose the question of him leading off, but was not sure if he is the type of leadoff man we need. I think so, hits for average and can run.

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
At best, he has a Juan Pierre type season..

At best? Juan Pierre can't run or field any more and has no power. De Aza with a handful of doubles would massively upgrade on Pierre. Only q is if he can keep the average up. He hits .270 and he is a massive upgrade on Pierre.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 07:57 PM)
I almost wanted to pose the question of him leading off, but was not sure if he is the type of leadoff man we need. I think so, hits for average and can run.

The worry about him leading off is that his walk rate is quite a bit below where it was in Charlotte. But he's been hitting so well, that might be a reason to keep swinging.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
At best? Juan Pierre can't run or field any more and has no power. De Aza with a handful of doubles would massively upgrade on Pierre. Only q is if he can keep the average up. He hits .270 and he is a massive upgrade on Pierre.

I was going to chime in with something similar to this, but it just seemed pointless.

The dude will be 28 right at the start of next year season.. History tells me, a 27 year old minor league getting his big break... isn't exactly a show stopper. So having a Pierre type offensive season, is the best we can hope for.

Defensively My dead grandmother is better than JP.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 08:15 PM)
The dude will be 28 right at the start of next year season.. History tells me, a 27 year old minor league getting his big break... isn't exactly a show stopper. So having a Pierre type offensive season, is the best we can hope for.

Defensively My dead grandmother is better than JP.

Except he first got his big break at 24, he just got hurt.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 07:24 PM)
So hitting at or around .300, stealing 40+ bags, and having around .350 OBP... sound good to you?

I will admit guys his age generally aren't something to get excited about, but this guy has been solid and looks like he knows what he's doing on the baseball field. He's a cheap upgrade for Pierre at the very least, and maybe he blossoms into a player that can put up real good numbers for an entire season.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 07:24 PM)
So hitting at or around .300, stealing 40+ bags, and having around .350 OBP... sound good to you?

The guy is probably going to put up better numbers than Pierre at 5% of the cost. If he was blocking someone better, it might be a bad thing, but he fits all of the needs we have right now.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
I think him playing LF, Rios in CF and Tank in RF is the 2012 White Sox Starting OF.

I could live with this outfield and with De Aza leading off. It 's most likely fantasy, but I'd like it better if Rios was traded, De Aza was in center and Quentin was in left.

QUOTE (SoIL @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 07:37 PM)
I could live with this outfield and with De Aza leading off. It 's most likely fantasy, but I'd like it better if Rios was traded, De Aza was in center and Quentin was in left.

De Aza has been a heck of a lot more interesting to watch play than most of the Sox roster the past few years.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
Its a very simple question.. a yes or no.. if its a no, why not.

Hitting .270+ with a .340 Obp is entirely plausible for de Aza. If he does that he'll be vastly better than Pierre since Pierre hits with no power whatsoever. And 40 steals for Pierre is a bad number...especially if he's caught 35 times in the process. He was barely adequate in 2010 on the basepaths and just awful this year. I'd rather have 15/20 on the basepaths than the crap Pierre gave this year.

Hitting .270+ with a .340 Obp is entirely plausible for de Aza. If he does that he'll be vastly better than Pierre since Pierre hits with no power whatsoever. And 40 steals for Pierre is a bad number...especially if he's caught 35 times in the process. He was barely adequate in 2010 on the basepaths and just awful this year. I'd rather have 15/20 on the basepaths than the crap Pierre gave this year.

So pretty much you just summed up what Pierre did at age 28... Thank you agreeing, at best he is Pierre.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:07 PM)
So pretty much you just summed up what Pierre did at age 28... Thank you agreeing, at best he is Pierre.

WHAT WAS JUAN PIERRES SLUGGING PERCENTAGE AT AGE 28???? I've said 3 times that de Aza will hit more than singles. Doubles and home runs are important in this game baseball under it's current rules.