Alejandro De Aza continues to play very steady ball

chisoxfan09

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Pierre apologist, but will admit De Aza in a full season is probably going to have a better OPS, wOBA and RC+ than Pierre will have even in a year that Juan hits .300/.350/.340/.690. That's not to say that I think Juan is awful (he wasn't for the last several months). The main reason De Aza is better is his doubles and homers, but the dude also legged out a few triples in very limited time, which is a nice thing for a leadoff guy to have in his toolbox.

Real excited about this kid. Hoping for .265/.335/.415/.750.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

I am a Pierre apologist, but will admit De Aza in a full season is probably going to have a better OPS, wOBA and RC+ than Pierre will have even in a year that Juan hits .300/.350/.340/.690. That's not to say that I think Juan is awful (he wasn't for the last several months). The main reason De Aza is better is his doubles and homers, but the dude also legged out a few triples in very limited time, which is a nice thing for a leadoff guy to have in his toolbox.

his year or next? :lolhitting

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
So pretty much you just summed up what Pierre did at age 28... Thank you agreeing, at best he is Pierre.

You are f***ing high. If given a full year of playing time, Alejandro De Aza will almost certainly surpass Juan Pierre's career total for homers. Considering he'd only have to hit 13 of them, that's not a big stretch either.

Alejandro De Aza is a far superior talent and, at this point, player compared to Juan Pierre. If you can't see that, then you are blind.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
I never stated a HR isn't better.. Just not needed as much. If your leadoff hitter is getting 20 HRs 1 of 2 things is happening

1. He is Ricky Henderson

or

2. and More likely, your manager is wasting that players talent, and could be better served in the middle of the lineup.. like the 6 hole.

Take for instance, Alex Gordon.. He should be playing at 5/6 in that lineup.. Since he is a better HR hitter and in theory more people will be on base for him to knock them in with his HR. At his current place of 1, the likelyhood 7-8-9 are on base.. Are not as likely as 2-3-4...

But if said player hits 1st or 2nd, they are going to get far more ABs - anywhere between 60-100 more - compared to hitting 5th or 6th. And when doing so, they'll be getting on base that many more times in front of the 3-4-5 hitters, who are good but have more flaws (such as a lack of speed or not as much plate discipline).

Alejandro De Aza would be completely acceptable as the 1/2 hitter next year.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
If you thought I was talking 2011, Pierre, than you are a bigger fool than the one who wanted Lilly to replace Dunn. And I have some Ocean property in Utah to sell to you.

HRs are great, but if you think they are needed in leadoff spot, and not a luxury.. I suggest you educate yourself on the game.

I don't think anyone was thinking that you were talking about anything other than the 2011 Pierre. So, either everyone is a fool or you're trolling and then throwing insults. Classy.

And, no HRs are not needed at the leadoff spot, but no one said that. It was stated that De Aza has way more power than Pierre and will actually hit a few HRs. Another thing is that what if your leadoff guy is the fourth guy up in an inning, and there are runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out? Wouldn't you want a guy with some pop in his bat?

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
Is he a possible corner outfield option to replace Pierre? He has some pop and can run (10/15 SB's). If he improives this small sample size he could be a base running threat. I haven't seen a De Aza thread so thought I would create one in anticipation of 2012 and that his effort going forward has mase him worthy to mention. He is hitting his prime years and maybe has really turned it around. His stat line for this year is quite good with BA/OBP/OPS. Small sample size since his call up.

YEARTEAM G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS GO/AO

2007 FLA 45 144 14 33 45 8 2 0 8 6 1 37 2 0 .229 .261 .313 .574 0.93

2009 FLA 22 20 6 5 6 1 0 0 3 5 0 5 0 0 .250 .385 .300 .685 1.40

2010 CWS 19 30 7 9 12 3 0 0 2 1 0 4 2 1 .300 .323 .400 .723 1.25

2011 CWS 45 125 24 40 67 9 3 4 19 12 0 27 10 5 .320 .380 .536 .916 2.05

Mods, please merge thread if one exists.

There's no money to spend and the White Sox are looking to cut payroll, not add, so they will look to save anywhere they can, starting with Juan Pierre, who I believe is making around $4 million (but not all coming from the White Sox). Remove him from the equation, and add a guy like De Aza, who has played well, and there's a small savings there. Preferably, he's not given a job without earning it with some competition in spring training, but I don't know that the competition is in the organization, and things could change if they do acquire a young OF via trade.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
I think him playing LF, Rios in CF and Tank in RF is the 2012 White Sox Starting OF. Leading off, sadly he might be the best option.

As of right now, this is our starting OF for next season. I do think there will be someone else (a younger player) in the mix - ideally, none of these guys are handed jobs, but, in reality, all will be playing most every day. The 'someone else' could also be Lillibridge, although I'd prefer to see him given a shot at 2B in a spring battle with Beckham.

The only thing that there is worry about with De Aza v. The Juan Dog is health which is why he is not in his third full season at the MLB level. The talent (compared to Juan) is there and anyone that can not see that is not paying attention or only follow The World According to Ozzie where the 4 hopper to second is what you want from your lead-off man.

Juan's work ethic is why he is still on the roster and most likely what got him here.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 04:26 AM)

Great post Greg

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
The only thing that there is worry about with De Aza v. The Juan Dog is health which is why he is not in his third full season at the MLB level. The talent (compared to Juan) is there and anyone that can not see that is not paying attention or only follow The World According to Ozzie where the 4 hopper to second is what you want from your lead-off man.

Juan's work ethic is why he is still on the roster and most likely what got him here.

Worth noting...it was his health that cost him his starting spot a couple years ago...it wasn't his health that has kept him from coming up though, that's been the fact that he's had minor league options left and was on 2 teams with other OF options.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
Worth noting...it was his health that cost him his starting spot a couple years ago...it wasn't his health that has kept him from coming up though, that's been the fact that he's had minor league options left and was on 2 teams with other OF options.

It is also worth noting that De Aza's injury was considered career threatening. It isnt as if he had a sprained leg. He broke his leg, then played for like 3 weeks on that leg, and finally completely tore it up running to first base

It is also worth noting that De Aza's injury was considered career threatening. It isnt as if he had a sprained leg. He broke his leg, then played for like 3 weeks on that leg, and finally completely tore it up running to first base

Why would anyone sacrifice their career knowing that if they did? Just sayin....

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:07 PM)
but that doesn't mean that a HR isn't better! What is more likely to produce a run, getting to first base on a single, getting to 2nd on a double, or getting home on a hr?

A leadoff hitter with a .340 Obp and 20 homers is a big upgrade on a leadoff hitter with a .350 Obp and 1 hr.

And what's his OBP if stats enabled caught stealings to be deducted from Pierre's obp? Technically he wasn't on base.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)

This "kid" will be 28 next year. Seeing as how I like teams to win games, a .750 OPS taking up a corner outfield position in the American League is f***ing bad. (Albeit, obviously better than Juan Pierre, but yeah, f*** this season and f*** Ozzie.)

De Aza has been a breath of fresh air on an otherwise gasping roster, but I'd hope he performed a hell of a lot better than what you hope.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
Why would anyone sacrifice their career knowing that if they did? Just sayin....

i think he tried to play through the pain. when it happened it probably wasnt career threatening, but he pounded on it until the leg completely buckled. at that point, it became quite a mess and career threatening

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
i think he tried to play through the pain. when it happened it probably wasnt career threatening, but he pounded on it until the leg completely buckled. at that point, it became quite a mess and career threatening

And how many chances do you get at a major league job?

QUOTE (shlammajamma @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
Guys.... It is so obvious that Victory is a troll. He joined right as greg's insanity regarding ozzie was starting to reach new levels. He based his routine off greg, this is what trolls do. He is basically a more trollish version of greg.

thanks for the heads up