Alejandro De Aza continues to play very steady ball

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
So pretty much you just summed up what Pierre did at age 28... Thank you agreeing, at best he is Pierre.

He has more power than Pierre and defensively is head and shoulders better. You have several screws loose, better get those tightened up. And even if he was just like Pierre when Pierre was 28, its when Juan was with the Cubs, he'd be being paid about 7% of what Juan was being paid.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
I think I will call you "The Nothing".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
WHAT WAS JUAN PIERRES SLUGGING PERCENTAGE AT AGE 28???? I've said 3 times that de Aza will hit more than singles. Doubles and home runs are important in this game baseball under it's current rules.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
He has more power than Pierre and defensively is head and shoulders better. You have several screws loose, better get those tightened up.

Yeah, you have pretty much united Israel, Palestine, and anyone else you want to throw in there.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
At best, he has a Juan Pierre type season..

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
So pretty much you just summed up what Pierre did at age 28... Thank you agreeing, at best he is Pierre.

Ha, so you assumed people would think you meant that he would have a Juan Pierre type of season from when Juan Pierre was 28 and not the current Juan Pierre? Nice try there.

WHAT WAS JUAN PIERRES SLUGGING PERCENTAGE AT AGE 28???? I've said 3 times that de Aza will hit more than singles. Doubles and home runs are important in this game baseball under it's current rules.

I didn't know slugging % for a leadoff hitter was a requirement.. But it was .388..

To me OBP, (how often a player)Ks, Runs, and SBs. I could care less if they hit 20 hrs... That what your middle of the order guys are for.

If you thought I was talking 2011, Pierre, than you are a bigger fool than the one who wanted Lilly to replace Dunn. And I have some Ocean property in Utah to sell to you.

HRs are great, but if you think they are needed in leadoff spot, and not a luxury.. I suggest you educate yourself on the game.

Edited by VictoryMC98

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
I didn't know slugging % for a leadoff hitter was a requirement.. But it was .388..

To me OBP, (how often a player)Ks, Runs, and SBs. I could care less if they hit 20 hrs... That what your middle of the order guys are for.

but that doesn't mean that a HR isn't better! What is more likely to produce a run, getting to first base on a single, getting to 2nd on a double, or getting home on a hr?

A leadoff hitter with a .340 Obp and 20 homers is a big upgrade on a leadoff hitter with a .350 Obp and 1 hr.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
If you thought I was talking 2011, Pierre, than you are a bigger fool than the one who wanted Lilly to replace Dunn. And I have some Ocean property in Utah to sell to you.

HRs are great, but if you think they are needed in leadoff spot, and not a luxury.. I suggest you educate yourself on the game.

Keep it up ;)

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)

Why? Did Juan Pierre just get in a time machine and emerge 6 years younger? Considering he would be replacing 2011 Juan Pierre you'd be a fool not to believe that's what you were referring to. Nice try though.

but that doesn't mean that a HR isn't better! What is more likely to produce a run, getting to first base on a single, getting to 2nd on a double, or getting home on a hr?

A leadoff hitter with a .340 Obp and 20 homers is a big upgrade on a leadoff hitter with a .350 Obp and 1 hr.

I never stated a HR isn't better.. Just not needed as much. If your leadoff hitter is getting 20 HRs 1 of 2 things is happening

1. He is Ricky Henderson

or

2. and More likely, your manager is wasting that players talent, and could be better served in the middle of the lineup.. like the 6 hole.

Take for instance, Alex Gordon.. He should be playing at 5/6 in that lineup.. Since he is a better HR hitter and in theory more people will be on base for him to knock them in with his HR. At his current place of 1, the likelyhood 7-8-9 are on base.. Are not as likely as 2-3-4...

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
Why? Did Juan Pierre just get in a time machine and emerge 6 years younger? Considering he would be replacing 2011 Juan Pierre you'd be a fool not to believe that's what you were referring to. Nice try though.

Not only that, but if Pierre took a 50% paycut, he'd still be making 10 times what they would have to pay De Aza.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
I never stated a HR isn't better.. Just not needed as much. If your leadoff hitter is getting 20 HRs 1 of 2 things is happening

1. He is Ricky Henderson

or

2. and More likely, your manager is wasting that players talent, and could be better served in the middle of the lineup.. like the 6 hole.

Take for instance, Alex Gordon.. He should be playing at 5/6 in that lineup.. Since he is a better HR hitter and in theory more people will be on base for him to knock them in with his HR. At his current place of 1, the likelyhood 7-8-9 are on base.. Are not as likely as 2-3-4...

I see, so he might well be so good you don't want him at leadoff. Clearly that would be a bad thing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
I see, so he might well be so good you don't want him at leadoff. Clearly that would be a bad thing.

Ideally he'd like the guy who makes the most outs in the league leading off. This guy has to either be Cowley or be related to Ozzie.

Edited by Dick Allen

He might also Turn white and have gold shoot out his ass... But the likely of these 3 things happening in 2012.. are slim and none... and None is leading by 20 lengths and slim is fading faster than the Sox playoff hopes in June.

As most of you know, I've been tauting de Aza for a long time on this board.

I can't believe that there are still so many detractors here.

Open your eyes!! This is a good, all around baseball player. He's never been bad, and except for the time he missed with that ankle injury a few years ago, he's always produced.

He had a great year at AAA last year, and hit when he was brought up.

This year, he had an even better year, and has arguably been our best offensive weapon since being called up.

Moreover, he can play the outfield and steal bases.

Those who talk about his OBP apparently haven't looked at his stats at AAA the last two seasons, especially versus RHP.

His OBP vs. RHP at Charlotte over the last two years is well in excess of .400

If he doesn't start in the OF next year, I'll be shocked and disappointed.

Comparisons to Pierre are a joke. He can do so many more things than Pierre can, and do them really well.

He should have been given a chance a long time ago, but he is making a statement.