Why Would Guillen Want To Stay?

Marty34

Here we go, lol.

Maybe every worker in America should only have a one-year contract.

Wouldn't that make the economy as a whole much more productive, albeit more stressful?

This is almost starting to remind one of the Orlando Cabrera/KW game of chicken that almost backfired. In this case, Ozzie clearly knows KW doesn't want him back...but, unlike Cabrera being threatened with a permanent seat on the bench watching Ramirez play his position, I don't think Ozzie minds the idea of coming back at all because 1) he has the built-in excuses of Dunn/Rios/Peavy for underachieving, 2) whoever is hired in Florida in 2012 will probably not last long...that job will always be there for him and 3) he has the additional leverage of some type of ESPN/MLB network/TBS etc., job if he's not managing.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
Too much dead money on this roster. If I'm Guillen, I need a guarantee through 2013 at the very least.

Even voters can get rid of those who are failing every 2, 4 or 6 years.

Why should we have to put up with a manager who will have failed in 7 out of 8 seasons (by that point)...he's already had four "disappointing" seasons out of the last 5.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
What manager would rather manage the 2012 White Sox on a one-year contract rather than the 2012 Marlins on a multi-year contract? The Sox are in a downward spiral, Guillen knows that and wants out. Can't blame him.

I don't think anyone is going to hold him back. Who wouldn't want to work for Loria and all his meddling. Maybe Joe Girardi has some thoughts.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 08:51 PM)
Or a GM 10/11 years?

I thought we'd already established that those left defending KW are only about 5-10% greater in number than those behind Guillen?

It's not like you automatically LOVE KW as GM just because you want to see Guillen replaced.

There's zero correlation for most here. Two separate issues....although they've tried to connect their fates the last 2 seasons, to the detriment of the organization.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)
I hope JR fires them both. Why does Ozzie deserve to stay? If the answer is 2005, then Kenny deserves to stay. The reason..........2005.

And who was hitting coach then, hmmmmm, what was his name?

Maybe we should bring back Everett, Blum and Bat Boy Hidalgo as well.

In answer to the thread title....

Reasons he might want to stay ...

• Love of Chicago. It is a helluva town with passion for baseball. Fla. Nobody cares.

• Chicago restaurants and things to do. Unless Ozzie truly loves boating Chicago is better.

• Great uniforms. Best in baseball.

Reasons he might want to leave. ...

• Dunn.

• Rios.

• AJ can't throw anybody out.

• No team speed.

• Bullpen always looks good on paper but just is average.

Add it all up and the team has .500 as it's high water mark. Chances of another s***ty season are pretty good; going to Florida gives him a fresh start. On paper our team is on the decline. Why should he want to be in charge as the ship continues to sink?