Mark Buehrle appreciation thread?

southsider2k5

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday evening Mark Buehrle can become with 1.2 innings of work the first AL pitcher to throw 11 consecutive seasons of 200IP in the DH era. That will define his career, a model of consistency. No video game s*** like Wood, Prior, Clemens or Pedro. Just pure enjoyment every 5th day...well 6th day this year.

His accomplishments also include

Perfect Game

No-hitter

MLB Home run

World Series Save

2 gold gloves

Endless threads on whether he is an ace

All around good guy as evidenced by the fact that he catches the first pitch. The thing that makes that special is the person that is throwing the pitch gets to throw it to Mark Buehrle (or John Danks) which makes that experience memorable.

I excluded the crap that the cubs would throw in there to pretend he was good like faced 27 batters in complete game shutouts 3 times more than any pitcher in baseball history.

My all-time favorite player, too. Maybe even more than Robin.

A great guy, too. My friend, who used to work at the Score, can back that up, too.

I might try and get tickets for Tuesday. Crossing my fingers that he will be back next year. If it means trading Danks or Floyd or Quentin to clear up salary space, then do it.

With the kind of disappointing season the team had, plus the usual solid season Merk had, I can't see the team not signing him.

I must admit he is, at best, borderline HoF based on the numbers. I am hoping the sport wakes up and notices that the players who they have been honoring the past decade have not brought much honor to the game. Guys like Mark and Baines not only played well for a long time, but are solid citizens and great ambassadors to the sport. I believe that has value and should be considered in the voting. It's their entire contribution to baseball, not just stats.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
With the kind of disappointing season the team had, plus the usual solid season Merk had, I can't see the team not signing him.

I must admit he is, at best, borderline HoF based on the numbers. I am hoping the sport wakes up and notices that the players who they have been honoring the past decade have not brought much honor to the game. Guys like Mark and Baines not only played well for a long time, but are solid citizens and great ambassadors to the sport. I believe that has value and should be considered in the voting. It's their entire contribution to baseball, not just stats.

Neither one of them belongs in the Hall Of Fame. I can't believe people are still pushing for Baines to be in there.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
Neither one of them belongs in the Hall Of Fame. I can't believe people are still pushing for Baines to be in there.

Character and longevity are not appreciated enough IMHO.

I want Buehrle back, but not for more than two years guaranteed and not at the expense of Chris Sale being in the bullpen for another year.

What the Sox need to take into consideration is that they don't have a starting pitcher that they would feel real comfortable starting in a Game 1 of a postseason series.

In my opinion, the best chance of having an ace in a few years is Chris Sale. He has to start next season and get his starting career going.